Questions about Smooth-cast Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehi

Jr Member
Hi, I'm getting a gallon of smooth-cast 321 liquid plastic in the mail soon and I had some questions about it.

Will it stick to my fiberglass iron man helmet? Saying I put a layer of plastic on, will I be able to break or peal off the fiberglass inside? So just the plastic is left. (oh and didn't use fiberglass cloth so It's breakable)
flzy11.png

sorry about the picture being so dark

Also, will it stick to foam parts? I'm using benstreepers foam method on my new project and I wanted to do a layer of plastic on the outside to make it more durable and smooth.

Attachments

• flzy11.png
    flzy11.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 156
Smoothcast 321 will adhere to fiberglass. You wont be able to separate the two. If you want to separate them you would need some kind of release agent for that.

As far as foam goes, its hard for me to explain my experience with it. It will stick, but you can peel it off. I spilled some onto a sheet fo foamies, while casting. When it dried, it was stuck to the foam but I was able to bend the foamie and have the plastic peel off. Also, in a thin layer, I found smooth-cast 321 to be brittle. So Im thinking if you were to cover your foam(eva foam?) with a thin layer it will stick but once you bump it or try to flex it in any way it will crack and then peel right off.

Carlino - new question. Have you ever tried to use Smoothcast instead of rondo on the inside of a new helmet (and then bondo the outside like normal)? Does Smoothcast bond to paper?

Carlino - new question. Have you ever tried to use Smoothcast instead of rondo on the inside of a new helmet (and then bondo the outside like normal)? Does Smoothcast bond to paper?

Yes, it bonds very well. Just make sure that you have a good seal with resin before trying to use SmoothCast. It's very liquidy, and will seep through any holes you have in your pep work.

I havn't used the Smoothcast on the inside. Since I had the stuff for the rondo mixture, I figured I would save the smoothcast for pouring casts of various parts. I know some people are using smoothcast for their hardening procedure and have slush cast it on the inside of the helmet. It will bond to the paper. But like the other's have said, make sure the helmet has a good seal so it doesnt leak out all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back