Questions I Couldnt Find Answers To

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfry

Sorry for being such a pain I really want to learn how to make my armor the right way.

1. How many layers of resin do you need to put on each side of the paper copy of the armor

2. Haw many layers of fiber glass do you lay down on the inside of the armor

3. When you use bondo do you just poor it on and spread it and let it sit then sand it down to the shape you want it to be.

Sorry again for so many questions i just want to learn to do it the right way and not to waste money

smallfry said:
Sorry for being such a pain I really want to learn how to make my armor the right way.

1. How many layers of resin do you need to put on each side of the paper copy of the armor

2. Haw many layers of fiber glass do you lay down on the inside of the armor

3. When you use bondo do you just poor it on and spread it and let it sit then sand it down to the shape you want it to be.

Sorry again for so many questions i just want to learn to do it the right way and not to waste money

one or two thin coats

it varies on whether you're using 'glass cloth or mat. Mat is stronger but a b$tch to work with, cloth you'll need more layers of. If you're looking to paintball or airsoft with your armor go with a layer of cloth first for definition and then a layer of mat for strength. if you're not going to be crazy, then 2-3 layers of cloth should do you fine. make sure you use plenty of resin to soak the 'glass

you most definitely do not. you mix enough bondo to spread over the areas that need it and then sand them. bondo is for fixing definition and making smooth surfaces smooth instead of the ridges the pepakura leaves.

a lot of these questions could have been answered with a bit of use of the SEARCH button, but I'm feeling generous (and a little delerious from sleep-deprivation). Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
um 3 layers of cloth? just try one unless your using your helmet as protection but its still not going to be safe, one layer is strong enough. and matt is far easier than cloth to work with.

Hmm I'm not entirely sure if mat is easier to work with, but it is definately stronger, and you don't need to apply as much compared to the cloth of strength.

1. The way I see it, do 2 thin layers on the outside to add some regidity before you glass. Then do one thin layer on the inside, that way all the paper is soaked in the stuff.

2. I do 1 or 2 layers of glass depending on the piece, some need 2.

3. What Null said about the bondo. You can usually find some good tuts on these, I think crackhead has some great videos, just look in the "pepakura and cardboard armor" forum.

Hope I helped ya some.

Oh and to add to the discussion; Cloth is thinner, and easier to get into the tiny bends, where as Matt is rigid and great for the big open areas that are flat or just curving (ie. top of bucket).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back