Rakshasa Discussion

An overdue update - my Lechuza helmet was a bust so I’m starting it from scratch. The gilet has also stumped me temporarily. I’m busy painting now - here are most of the dark red pieces. The forearms, upper arms and feet will be bare metal; the helmet will be both colours. I’m thinking of having black trousers and gilet, and a grey top - I quite like that colour layout (attached mock-up).
Your armor looks to be coming along nicely! I'm still somewhere between learning to use blender and trying to take the ripped game models and turn them into useable armor files, and waiting for other members of the community to do the same thing. I'd definitely still be interested in seeing your flat fold templates if you're willing to share them!

Your armor looks to be coming along nicely! I'm still somewhere between learning to use blender and trying to take the ripped game models and turn them into useable armor files, and waiting for other members of the community to do the same thing. I'd definitely still be interested in seeing your flat fold templates if you're willing to share them!
Thanks! Blender is awful to use; I use a version of it called B4Artists which I recommend over the main version - it's sort of friendlier...sort of. What I tend to do is bring the game model into Blender, then I pull it apart and simplify it A LOT. I start by converting triangles to quads, that makes it easier to see forms. Anywhere I can ruthlessly get away with streamlining shapes, merging vertices and so on, I do. Even if it means some deviations from the game model, which you can't really see unless you put them side by side and examine them closely (the jaw attachments are a good example). I do this in a way that works for how I personally like to use foam. Complex pieces will be built with card instead then reinforced - things like the jaw bits, the thing at the back of the skull, etc). For the helmet, I've remodelled the visor area quite a bit so it's properly flat, that way I can use window film without any difficulties. I've attached my unfold for half the Lechuza, sized at 320mm deep, and the OBJ so you can put it in Pepakura and see the actual shapes before the unfold. I'll attach some other parts too, my files are a mess so I'm not sure if these are finals I used. If you use them you may have to adjust the size for yourself when printing.

Attachments

• lechuza remodelled 320deep.pdf
    505.5 KB · Views: 181
  • lechuza remodelled 320deep.pdf
    505.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Rakshasa_2.0 fore arms simplified 2.pdf
    313.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Rakshasa_2.0 lower leg simpler 2.pdf
    396.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Rakshasa_2.0 upper arms simplified 2.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 161
I'm dumping files I've been working with in my Dropbox -- Cosplay

I don't have time to go through them, but hopefully they are useful to someone. Should be simplified forms in some of these that make for easier editing and unwrapping for you. Some are unwraps, etc. Some may be hot garbage - enjoy...!

PS. Not entirely familiar with Dropbox. If anyone uses this link, let me know if you can see any of my other private folders above it. Thanks.

Made a mild adjustment to mine today too. Nothing too much. Just a few pouches.

Attachments

• 20220728_103104.jpg
    20220728_103104.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
Except for two tiny parts to finish painting, the whole body is done! just waiting for foam to finish the helmet build.

Attachments

• 2964DE4B-D89E-4BFF-BC8F-4BE5F2454F13.jpeg
    2964DE4B-D89E-4BFF-BC8F-4BE5F2454F13.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 131
  • B402B1C4-B3FF-4028-B18F-54526D46075C.jpeg
    B402B1C4-B3FF-4028-B18F-54526D46075C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 142
  • 8A8BED19-C30C-4773-B4C4-4F7B3ABA0E8B.jpeg
    8A8BED19-C30C-4773-B4C4-4F7B3ABA0E8B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
While I wait for foam and clips to complete the helmet and chest straps, I just had to do a test session!

Attachments

• D698BBDC-805E-4AE0-8383-50E674C57F4F.jpeg
    D698BBDC-805E-4AE0-8383-50E674C57F4F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 152
  • A503DEFF-7B43-414F-AB5C-C21E524597D2.jpeg
    A503DEFF-7B43-414F-AB5C-C21E524597D2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • EE9F6F52-BF5A-4C5C-A746-158A2A81A0B9.jpeg
    EE9F6F52-BF5A-4C5C-A746-158A2A81A0B9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
  • B0B2E525-AFF7-411D-8A60-A98A971C5731.jpeg
    B0B2E525-AFF7-411D-8A60-A98A971C5731.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
  • DCC7304B-F51D-445C-B7CB-CEE0F250285D.jpeg
    DCC7304B-F51D-445C-B7CB-CEE0F250285D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 158
  • 73000994-55D7-46FB-B25E-EB4CD6EA349D.jpeg
    73000994-55D7-46FB-B25E-EB4CD6EA349D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • F8CFBFDA-D5CB-4EF0-91E9-B7D0A4F41C8C.jpeg
    F8CFBFDA-D5CB-4EF0-91E9-B7D0A4F41C8C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 172
While I wait for foam and clips to complete the helmet and chest straps, I just had to do a test session!
Wow. I'm speechless. This looks absolutely fantastic! Everything about your build is incredibly impressive! I cannot wait to see the final product!!

I'm dumping files I've been working with in my Dropbox -- Cosplay

I don't have time to go through them, but hopefully they are useful to someone. Should be simplified forms in some of these that make for easier editing and unwrapping for you. Some are unwraps, etc. Some may be hot garbage - enjoy...!

PS. Not entirely familiar with Dropbox. If anyone uses this link, let me know if you can see any of my other private folders above it. Thanks.
ODCA unfold time?

Update. My first attempt at the Lechuza helmet was way too small. I almost finished the new one and realised it was way too big. I've never made mistakes like this and I'm extremely depressed about it to put it mildly. I can't face doing another helmet right now. I've decided to repaint and customise my old CQB helmet for this suit, for now anyway. I mean Rakshasa is about using what's available in the field, right? It's too small too, but still fits and looks cool besides fogging up quickly. Here's a mockup of what the final setup will look like.

Attachments

• Rakshasa.jpg
    Rakshasa.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 151
Update. My first attempt at the Lechuza helmet was way too small. I almost finished the new one and realised it was way too big. I've never made mistakes like this and I'm extremely depressed about it to put it mildly. I can't face doing another helmet right now. I've decided to repaint and customise my old CQB helmet for this suit, for now anyway. I mean Rakshasa is about using what's available in the field, right? It's too small too, but still fits and looks cool besides fogging up quickly. Here's a mockup of what the final setup will look like.
I think this is going to look great, even without the core-accurate helmet. It's like you said, Rakshasa is about working with what you have available to you, and you certainly could have chosen a worse candidate to match with the core than a CQB bucket which imo looks right at home with the 'SPI-like' armor. Besides, in three or four years when Infinite finally has full cross-core, this won't look even the smallest bit out of place! ;)

I'm also dropping an update though; between the files for a Commando Rifle and someone finally coming up with the Hieu Dinh armor stls, I'm on the way to beginning my own build. Now I just really need to get my printer to work so I can at least make the weapons here at home.

I think this is going to look great, even without the core-accurate helmet. It's like you said, Rakshasa is about working with what you have available to you, and you certainly could have chosen a worse candidate to match with the core than a CQB bucket which imo looks right at home with the 'SPI-like' armor. Besides, in three or four years when Infinite finally has full cross-core, this won't look even the smallest bit out of place! ;)

I'm also dropping an update though; between the files for a Commando Rifle and someone finally coming up with the Hieu Dinh armor stls, I'm on the way to beginning my own build. Now I just really need to get my printer to work so I can at least make the weapons here at home.
Link your thread here when you start it. This is likely my last foam build, I’ll be considering 3D print in future. More environmentally friendly and not so devastating when you make multiple mistakes.

Holy crap, someone's made the STLs? I just finished printing a super low-poly game ripped shoulder for a cross-core set, so sad. Where'd you find them?

Holy crap, someone's made the STLs? I just finished printing a super low-poly game ripped shoulder for a cross-core set, so sad. Where'd you find them?
I'm probably grabbing them from AndromedaPrint3D on Etsy; the files are ripped, cleaned up and detailed/solidified as necessary. I still don't really know how to use blender, so for $40 I can get basically everything I'll need besides the chest attachment. I could keep trying blender or shake my hand at foam for a while, but 3D printing is something I more or less understand.

Hey your Rakshasa looks amazing so far! And I wouldn't worry about CQB helmet as 343i is working on cross-core so all helmets most likely will be part of that too in the future... when they finally release CQB.

I thought I'd posted the repainted helmet, but it looks like I forgot - here it is, old black and new red and silver. The black paint job hid a multitude of sins.... I also tried to make the gilet out of sandwiches of 2mm foam - the puffed effect worked, but it was so rigid it ended up not working out, a waste of time but a good learning experience. So I've completely given up on an accurate gilet, which means the project is finished! I'll post photos of the complete setup as soon as I have time. This will probably be my last full foam armour set - I love working with my hands, but I'll be looking into 3D printing in future, for the environmental aspect as well as time and precision.

Attachments

• IMG_5905.JPEG
    IMG_5905.JPEG
    714.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5916.JPEG
    IMG_5916.JPEG
    850.9 KB · Views: 106
I thought I'd posted the repainted helmet, but it looks like I forgot - here it is, old black and new red and silver. The black paint job hid a multitude of sins.... I also tried to make the gilet out of sandwiches of 2mm foam - the puffed effect worked, but it was so rigid it ended up not working out, a waste of time but a good learning experience. So I've completely given up on an accurate gilet, which means the project is finished! I'll post photos of the complete setup as soon as I have time. This will probably be my last full foam armour set - I love working with my hands, but I'll be looking into 3D printing in future, for the environmental aspect as well as time and precision.
The CQB helmet will fit right in!

I am curious about what you ended up doing for the vest, I remember you had some kind of ribbed padded shirt made but that's the last I heard about it. How is that coming along?

The CQB helmet will fit right in!

I am curious about what you ended up doing for the vest, I remember you had some kind of ribbed padded shirt made but that's the last I heard about it. How is that coming along?
I made a body cast with tape, and transferred that shape to fabric. It fit well. I glued foam padding sections to it, but didn't plan it well. It was ok. When I tried glueing fabric over that, I realised I need something with 4-way stretch to tuck down between the padded sections. It was all becoming too expensive and frustrating. I then thought I could make it in 2mm foam. I did the main pattern on 2mm, then added the padded sections in 2mm, then overlaid 2mm foam which I heated as I glued it so it tucked between the padding. The effect worked, but it was like wearing a breastplate of 6mm armour - completely inflexible, so again a failure I should have foreseen. I've given up for now. I might try a simple fabric vest at some stage, just to give that colour separation effect from the undersuit. It doesn't feel like Rakshasa without the gilet/vest...

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back