Rakshasa Grenadier

Both thighs are done now! So far these are the largest pieces of armor for this build.
1000007587.jpg

Time for a 2nd grenadier suit! Since crosscore helmets are in Infinite now, I've been seeing what different kinds of grenadier suits I can make. Rakshasa has really grown on me, especially with some of the attachments it has. I also do not have much experience sewing or working with soft parts, so this seems like a good way to push myself. Here's what I have in mind for the build so far. I'm not fully decided on the wrist and utility attachments.
View attachment 338323

A few months back I modeled the UA TYPE/GNY knees.
View attachment 338324

I modeled the plasma grenades on the three prayers shoulder (more pictures of the plasma grenade modele in the "MORE GRENADES!!!!!" build thread) and today I started modeling the three prayers attachment itself. Turns out the grenades block a lot of the views I try to get in the reference images, but I'm working around it.
View attachment 338325View attachment 338326
View attachment 338327

I do not plan on modeling the base armor for the rakshasa core, as there are a lot of great files for that already. I haven't seen too many files for a lot of the attachments, or at least the ones I use, so I do plan to model all of the rakshasa attachments in this build. Even if someone else makes some of them, I still want to start modeling some more armor parts.
This is going to be SICK. my favorite core

I decided I wanted to try a new post processing method that was suggested by DeltaAlphaZulu. Delta suggested I first test this on a small part that's easy to reprint, so I tested it on the chest piece! The top half of the chest piece will be almost entirely covered up by the AAP/Kard Plate, so even if this messed up, I could still use it. This is also the one part where I have rough support residue on the outside of the print, so if this method works for this part, it should work on the rest.

(Side note: I purposely printed at a 0.1mm layer height, knowing i wanted to try this post processing method.) To start off, I sanded off the rough areas, such as where the supports were, then I cleaned off any dust with rubbing alcohol. After that, I painted on a coat of UV curing resin onto the raw print and cured it with a UV flashlight. Once the UV resin was cured, I sanded it in a circular motion with 320 grit sandpaper. The below image is after sanding.
1000007784.jpg

I then used rubbing alcohol again to wash away any uncured resin and dust from sanding. After that I applied filler primer.
1000007786.jpg

I waited for the filler primer to fully cure then I applied Bondo spot putty to the deeper imperfections. (Mainly where the supports were.)
1000007787.jpg

Once the Bondo spot putty is fully cured tomorrow, I'll begin the 2nd pass of sanding!

I decided I wanted to try a new post processing method that was suggested by DeltaAlphaZulu. Delta suggested I first test this on a small part that's easy to reprint, so I tested it on the chest piece! The top half of the chest piece will be almost entirely covered up by the AAP/Kard Plate, so even if this messed up, I could still use it. This is also the one part where I have rough support residue on the outside of the print, so if this method works for this part, it should work on the rest.

(Side note: I purposely printed at a 0.1mm layer height, knowing i wanted to try this post processing method.) To start off, I sanded off the rough areas, such as where the supports were, then I cleaned off any dust with rubbing alcohol. After that, I painted on a coat of UV curing resin onto the raw print and cured it with a UV flashlight. Once the UV resin was cured, I sanded it in a circular motion with 320 grit sandpaper. The below image is after sanding.
View attachment 342560

I then used rubbing alcohol again to wash away any uncured resin and dust from sanding. After that I applied filler primer.
View attachment 342561

I waited for the filler primer to fully cure then I applied Bondo spot putty to the deeper imperfections. (Mainly where the supports were.)
View attachment 342562

Once the Bondo spot putty is fully cured tomorrow, I'll begin the 2nd pass of sanding!
It turned out great so far, I can't wait to see it painted!

It turned out great so far, I can't wait to see it painted!
This morning I got to wet sand the filler primer.
1000007791.jpg

Then I painted white primer on to see the imperfections. The roughest areas are where the supports and Bondo spot putty are. I could go back and reapply more spot putty, but it will be covered anyway. I at least know I will be happy with the results of this method for the rest of the suit!
1000007793.jpg

That's looking really clean! I'm actively following this thread for nuggets of information for my build as well haha. Unrelated, but how cool would a Halo spinoff be where you're a Spartan with Rakshasa armor stranded on Zeta Halo? You could go around rescuing other Spartans and Marines to your fireteam and collect armor that actually makes a difference in your stats.

Big update time! I've been getting a bunch done these past couple weeks!

First off, I used UV resin on all of the parts I've printed (except the thighs) and sanded them with 320 grit.
1000007850.jpg

1000007915.jpg

I put the finger armor and greebles on upside down tape for brushing UV resin on and curing them.
1000007864.jpg

Today I used filler primer on all of the parts that I've started sanding!
1000007916.jpg

1000007917.jpg

All of my boots I currently own are desert tan and I needed black boots for this build. I stopped by Walmart and was able to grab these boots for about $40. I made sure to find ones with a side zipper to make putting on/taking off the armor easier.
1000007918.jpg

Today I retouched up the right shoulder and chest attachments with some more Bondo spot putty.
1000007954.jpg

I got those parts wet sanded.
1000007958.jpg

Then I got them and the rest of my printed armor parts primered with white primer. I go with white since I've found it to be a great base for the red I like.
1000007959.jpg

1000007952.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back