Ranger's HUD Progress

What phone do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, it's really hard waiting for parts when I just want to build it :|

hqdefault.jpg

... I'ma just leave this right here. ... You know... consequences....

Also, have I mentioned it's theoretically possible to play Halo on my HUD/helmet? Or any other game on PC+XBox?
It's currently untested, but I've done it before, just not inside the helmet.

Last edited:
I am almost amazed by this effort and ability to present such amazing work as your terrible driving! XD
Yeah, I chose a poor level to showcase it... but I plan on making a better one with more gameplay this weekend, along with the rest of the tutorial.

I am admittedly scared to run the price sum on my helmet.

I see your doubts, and raise you this:
View attachment 272050

Guess who just played Halo on their HUD? Hint: it's me.
Warning: the video is super un-edited, I'll try to make a better one this weekend.

How did it feel???

Also, just to give a suggestion for the blank "community suggestions" section...

How about a toggle that allows the mic to go from helmet-helmet comms to a PA? And for the PA to have a comms style voice changer. But not the storm trooper one! That's cheating.

How did it feel???

Also, just to give a suggestion for the blank "community suggestions" section...

How about a toggle that allows the mic to go from helmet-helmet comms to a PA? And for the PA to have a comms style voice changer. But not the storm trooper one! That's cheating.
How did it feel: Honestly, all I've played so far is what you see in the video... so not much. I plan on going more in depth this weekend. From the short bit I did play, I could tell my screen doesn't do blacks very well (surprise), and I picked a poor level considering it was a tunnel. Despite that though, I was super giddy with excitement, and I definitely felt on top of the world.

Suggestion: I'm already trying to find the best way to work a PA type system in, but I don't have external speakers yet, only internal. A voice change may be cool if I can find a good one :)

If you are looking for a voice changer, voicemod is your best bet. You can either subscribe to it monthly for cheap, or permanently buy it for $15. It has many great voice changers to chose from, aswell as recorded sounds you can activate at the push of a key bind. You can also make your own voice changer effects. It works with discord and other platforms, and even ingame! Works on PC only I think. I do beleive there is an app out on phones by these people but it is not as good I think...

If you are looking for a voice changer, voicemod is your best bet. You can either subscribe to it monthly for cheap, or permanently buy it for $15. It has many great voice changers to chose from, aswell as recorded sounds you can activate at the push of a key bind. You can also make your own voice changer effects. It works with discord and other platforms, and even ingame! Works on PC only I think. I do beleive there is an app out on phones by these people but it is not as good I think...
It'll have to have support for Linux ARM, I'll look into it :)

Admittedly, I can be slow to put 2 and 2 together sometimes. Based off the way I got Halo running on my HUD I just realized I also have the full power of my PC inside my suit (so long as I have an internet connection) via high performance RDP. What does this mean? I'm not sure yet, but it's damned well going to be cool.

I'm all ears if you guys have any ideas. I already verified I can play any of my PC games on it, so long as it has controller support.

Accidentally put the power of my PC into my suit, but what do I do with it?
pc.jpg
arrow.jpg
ugh.JPG

Last edited:
So I have a couple of ideas with how you might eventually get the display in the visor itself. I believe there ARE transparent (and possibly flexible) displays available. Im pretty sure they are oled displays, but not sure. Not sure about what kind of interface they provide either.

My second idea is actually from a project I was working on a few years ago. I made a very rudimentary HUD by reflecting a display down onto a mirror and onto a flat piece of plexiglass. I was using an arduino and your standard 2 line LCD display with 5x8 pixel character blocks. It was somewhat bulky, was kind of hard to look at (because I actually was looking at two images being reflected instead of one, and it wasnt curved, but I think all those could possibly be resolved with enough effort.

So I have a couple of ideas with how you might eventually get the display in the visor itself. I believe there ARE transparent (and possibly flexible) displays available. Im pretty sure they are oled displays, but not sure. Not sure about what kind of interface they provide either.

My second idea is actually from a project I was working on a few years ago. I made a very rudimentary HUD by reflecting a display down onto a mirror and onto a flat piece of plexiglass. I was using an arduino and your standard 2 line LCD display with 5x8 pixel character blocks. It was somewhat bulky, was kind of hard to look at (because I actually was looking at two images being reflected instead of one, and it wasnt curved, but I think all those could possibly be resolved with enough effort.
I actually pursued/researched both of these methods before I built in what I have now. I ran into a few problems: with the transparent display, everything I found was crazy expensive and not actually all that trasnparent. With the reflection idea (which I orignally saw done on an Iron Man helmet), my prebought helmet simply didn't have enough room to accomodate a projector and a mirror. An issue I'm aware of from previous experience (see my post of my google glass on a previous page in this thread) I know focal length is a real issue too. With the helmet I have, even if the visor itself was a display I could see through, it wouldn't have mattered because it is so close to my face that I wouldn't be able to look at it anyways. In the future when I make my own helmet, I plan on taking focal length measurments to determine if there's a reasonable helmet size that would allow me to use this type of technology, and if not it's one of the reasons I'm particularly interested in my AR/VR version of the HUD I mention somewhere else earlier in this thread. Sorry if that's not the kind of response you were hoping for :-(

Oh you can bet there'll be a tutorial at some point ;-)

The spotify client I'm running is headless, meaning I currently have to use another device to play/pause music. I'm looking at the spotify web api right now to see if I can write a super tiny client.

That 'tearing apart a laptop' turned out to be a waste of time. I wanted to gut the fan out of it for helmet circulation, but the pins are way too small to be useful.
I man i hope so!! looking forward to this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back