Re-Inforcing Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddietheed

Hey guys i am a n00b to this forum but i see that everyone seems to know what theyre doing over here and i have a question that im dying to get an answer to. currently i have a halo supreme edition helmet (from the haloween costume that i wanna do some work on, visor ect). the question i had was if there was anyway possible i can make the plastic on the helmet alot harder than it is now. The helmet is already hard plastic but i wanna know if theres anything from a spray on apoxy or a way to fiberglass it or use the 2 part liquid plastic to reinforce it, reason being is that i want this helmet to be used for paintballing and such. Any suggestion please?

well i cannot tell u how to reinforce it but i to have a halo legendary helm and during summer me and my freinds shot the hell out of it with high volocity paintball guns and the only thing that broke off was the visor so just get a pair of aproved paintball goggles and just wear those under the helm, but first test the stability of the helm by shooting it yourself but start on low volocity (if anything cracks or breaks srry not responisble) and see if it works out to use. it did for me

eddietheed said:
Hey guys i am a n00b to this forum but i see that everyone seems to know what theyre doing over here and i have a question that im dying to get an answer to. currently i have a halo supreme edition helmet (from the haloween costume that i wanna do some work on, visor ect). the question i had was if there was anyway possible i can make the plastic on the helmet alot harder than it is now. The helmet is already hard plastic but i wanna know if theres anything from a spray on apoxy or a way to fiberglass it or use the 2 part liquid plastic to reinforce it, reason being is that i want this helmet to be used for paintballing and such. Any suggestion please?

maybe you can try plexiglass

grtz

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say either Fiberglass, or two-part plastic into the helmet, however, tape up the visor extremely well.

I might as well just say this now, but the 405th does NOT support paintballing with armor parts. I'm not saying that nomercyg isn't a reliable source, but you might want to test it before you wear it. Better to test it than have bright orange plastic shards in your head.

hey there, sense you are new to the threads i will give you a little head's up about the whole halo armour + paintballing stand point we have going here. we do not condone or support it at all here. so you might want to drop this thread, or at the VERY least, just not mention this topic in any more of your threads. i'm not sure how mean the mods would be if they found this thread, cause the helmet is not exactly something you learned how to make here... but i have seen them come down rather hard on other threads like this.

it would just a shame to get on the mod's bad side while still being new.

anyhoo, that is all from me on this topic :)

O.T.

ok, here it goes.

1) you didnt make the armor on your own; generally the 405th wants people to learn how to make armor with a little push in the right direction, leaving the rest to you.

2) why would you want to use that suit for paintball? i looked up the suit, and it costs $650 to buy. a paintball gun itself (a decent one) can cost anywhere from 100-200 $. the site i'm looking at says that it's a collectors edition. my father taught me when you get something like that, you never use it and you definantly do not take it out of the box. it keeps it's mint condition and value. its like a 30,000 dollar car. its worth 30,000 dollars, but when you buy it, the second it drives off of the lot, it drops in value by 1,000 dollars.

3) there are many saftey issues with playing paintball in the armor, and downsides. Lets say for a second that it can take the punishment of paintball, lets just say. there are 5 downsides i can think of right off the bat.

A-
reduced vision: the tint of the glass will make it harder to see people who are under cover. also, you lose peripheral vision, and your visual range is cut down due to the glass on it's own.

B-reduced speed: the speed of how fast you run will be cut down. in turn, your reaction time will be slower

C-loss of movement: you won't have the same range of movement you would have if you didnt have the suit on. the suit restricts the movement of your arm's and legs. this will make running much harder.

D- increased heat: these suits get very hot, and the only solution is taking it off. of course, one could put in a cooling system into the suit, i've seen some ideas, but thats indoors, at conventions. imagine bieng outside and running around? it's going to be very hot, and your gonna want to rip that suit off.

E- might as well strap a giant light to your back: while wearing the armor, you will become a target for the other people. you will stick out like a sore thumb. other players might make it their only objective to land hits on you, and you alone.

There are many more disadvantages, but i won't be going over those. that was contemplating "if it could take it". a member not to long ago posted a video of him shooting his helmet with a paintball from around 10 feet away at 260 FPS, and his helmet was shredded and ripped to pieces. look for it, it won't be to hard to find. now, one last thing before i stop ranting and raving, you've heard it before, the 405th doesn't support paintball or airsoft with the use of armor and or props. you have no idea how they made the armor and the concequences if it breaks in the middle of a game. if theres fiberglass in that thing, and it gets damaged, then fiberglass dust will be floating around inside the helmet and that will be very bad for your health, and i mean dangerous towards your health. just enjoy the game how it is, and don't put your health in the way. Alright, thats it for now, i got it all out.

-Tombstone, out.

tomb-stone said:
ok, here it goes.

1) you didnt make the armor on your own; generally the 405th wants people to learn how to make armor with a little push in the right direction, leaving the rest to you.

2) why would you want to use that suit for paintball? i looked up the suit, and it costs $650 to buy. a paintball gun itself (a decent one) can cost anywhere from 100-200 $. the site i'm looking at says that it's a collectors edition. my father taught me when you get something like that, you never use it and you definantly do not take it out of the box. it keeps it's mint condition and value. its like a 30,000 dollar car. its worth 30,000 dollars, but when you buy it, the second it drives off of the lot, it drops in value by 1,000 dollars.

3) there are many saftey issues with playing paintball in the armor, and downsides. Lets say for a second that it can take the punishment of paintball, lets just say. there are 5 downsides i can think of right off the bat.

A-
reduced vision: the tint of the glass will make it harder to see people who are under cover. also, you lose peripheral vision, and your visual range is cut down due to the glass on it's own.

B-reduced speed: the speed of how fast you run will be cut down. in turn, your reaction time will be slower

C-loss of movement: you won't have the same range of movement you would have if you didnt have the suit on. the suit restricts the movement of your arm's and legs. this will make running much harder.

D- increased heat: these suits get very hot, and the only solution is taking it off. of course, one could put in a cooling system into the suit, i've seen some ideas, but thats indoors, at conventions. imagine bieng outside and running around? it's going to be very hot, and your gonna want to rip that suit off.

E- might as well strap a giant light to your back: while wearing the armor, you will become a target for the other people. you will stick out like a sore thumb. other players might make it their only objective to land hits on you, and you alone.

There are many more disadvantages, but i won't be going over those. that was contemplating "if it could take it". a member not to long ago posted a video of him shooting his helmet with a paintball from around 10 feet away at 260 FPS, and his helmet was shredded and ripped to pieces. look for it, it won't be to hard to find. now, one last thing before i stop ranting and raving, you've heard it before, the 405th doesn't support paintball or airsoft with the use of armor and or props. you have no idea how they made the armor and the concequences if it breaks in the middle of a game. if theres fiberglass in that thing, and it gets damaged, then fiberglass dust will be floating around inside the helmet and that will be very bad for your health, and i mean dangerous towards your health. just enjoy the game how it is, and don't put your health in the way. Alright, thats it for now, i got it all out.

-Tombstone, out.
Hey Tombstone i understand what you are saying but understand its not the whole costume i have i would not go out and buy the costume for that kind of money, i only have the helmet from the kit, and as for the visor as well it will be removed and replace with a plexiglass, the only concern i have is that i wanted to know whats the best way to reinforce the rest of the helmet, if i could even get away with coating it with a 2 part plastic, im trying no to go to the fiberglass route for the same resons youve stated... i appreciate youre time on the response you gave me if u have anything else that you would like to add it would be much appreciated

thanks

Well heres your main problems:

1. DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE PLEXIGLASS!!! Plexiglass, as you should know, shatters. I'm positive you do not wan't clear plastic shards lining your face. Try Lexan instead. it's located right next to the plexiglass in hardware stores and doesn't shatter. Most motorcycle visors are made of lexan as well.

2. According to some adult paintballers i know, Paintball gear is not made to be strong,(as in it isn't solid) but rather, it is flexible. If you go to your nearest paintball store, you will see that paintball gear is made of a more flexible plastic that isn't hard or ridiculously solid like bondo/fiberglass is. It is designed to "catch the impact" rather than to simply deflect it much like you "Give a little" while catching a football instead of simply holding your hands out. So, If you can find a solid, but flexible substance that won't crack, feth i say go for it and don't blame us if you get hurt. You should probably wear some standard safety gear underneath as well.

My recommendation is to not try it at all, or failing that, build another helmet around a normal paintball helmet.(If you REALLY want to risk your safety to look cool)

Sithslayer78 said:
Well heres your main problems:

1. DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE PLEXIGLASS!!! Plexiglass, as you should know, shatters. I'm positive you do not wan't clear plastic shards lining your face. Try Lexan instead. it's located right next to the plexiglass in hardware stores and doesn't shatter. Most motorcycle visors are made of lexan as well.

2. According to some adult paintballers i know, Paintball gear is not made to be strong,(as in it isn't solid) but rather, it is flexible. If you go to your nearest paintball store, you will see that paintball gear is made of a more flexible plastic that isn't hard or ridiculously solid like bondo/fiberglass is. It is designed to "catch the impact" rather than to simply deflect it much like you "Give a little" while catching a football instead of simply holding your hands out. So, If you can find a solid, but flexible substance that won't crack, feth i say go for it and don't blame us if you get hurt. You should probably wear some standard safety gear underneath as well.

My recommendation is to not try it at all, or failing that, build another helmet around a normal paintball helmet.(If you REALLY want to risk your safety to look cool)
I understand what you are saying completely but dont tell me if you were into the sport and being a huge halo fan that if there was some opportunity tobe make a safe and nice looking helmet to shoot people up with paint that you wouldnt take it!!??

Okay, this post is going to be pretty short compared to what i usually do (hopefully, lol)

mm, i c, only the helmet.... and thanks for understanding :) some people when i give a reply like that are ready to stick a pitch-fork in my gut rather than thank me for my calculatedly sadistic, evil responses xD

anyways, i agree with sithslayer for the most part. however, i don't think that a helmet alone will look too great. thats my opinion, now to the topic. like sithslayer said, paintball gear is meant to be flexible. the reason for this is how the paintball hits. its much like a meteor, as in it has a heavy splash of force on impact. if anything, it causes something akin to a shock-wave, which will cause damage in a radius that varies depending on the FPS of the weapon fired. there was a design that i was thinking about; what if there were small hexagonal steel plates in a honey-comb pattern connected by flexible steel webbing. (this is jus for a little story im writting). the theory behind this idea is that when the projectile hits the surface, the plates move inward and the impact spreads around and decreases the force of impact and the damage caused by it. i could go into a lot of detail, but i don't have the time to torture you all with my ridiculously long posts :pso rigid plexi-glass is not wanted. the Lexan is flexible and will stand up much better than plexiglass. im repeating whats already been said, and i hate doing it, but A) sithslayer didn't exactly explain, lol (ha, i beat you lord jedi!!!!) but sithslayer IS right, if you are going to go through with this, lexan is the way to go. OR, my alternative, buy a expensive-as-hell bucket of mold-making material, cast a mold of the helmet and construct it STRICTLY out of a rubber of some sort, paint it to look metalic and place a lexan visor inside. whichever you find easier. SO ill just end it here, otherwise you'll be reading for another 20 minutes xD

-Tomb-Stone, out

(turns out it was kinda long anyways :unsure )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back