Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut a strip of foam to glue inside the neck then shaped it with my dremel and a sanding wheel. finally I shaped it with a heatgun, a good hot hair dryer would work also. Heat the foam from each side then shape and hold it in place with your hands for a couple seconds while it cools. I will be adding this style of neckseal as soon as I get more mats.

kat1.jpg

The same harbor frieght mats Im using for the rest of the build. Im just going to heat form it and use my dremel to thin it out and add the contours.

P9080545.jpg

Truly sick sir!!! I'm gonna have to check this out myself. Can't wait to see what comes next, both here and in the community. Is there any way we can get a better glimpse into the assembly process? What are you using to tie it all together? Keep it up!

Thanks ! The girl is one of our new members Savagegiggles she is the PAX Kat who everyone youtubed her dancing lol.

Ill try and have pics of the back taken later today if possible and maybe a few of the build process.
I print out the pep with as few seams as possible trim off all the tabs and unesisary parts then lay them out on the foam. Then I cut out each piece and trim and shape it with a blade or dremel tool with a sanding drum. Next I sart bending and putting it together with hotglue. I did learn a trick when working with hotglue, keep a can of computer cleaning air close to you the kind you use to dust off the components with. Lay down a bead of glue, join your parts then give it a shot from the can with it turned upside down. (WARNING THIS IS NOT SAFE) the liquid propellant will give you frostbite if you get it on your skin!! and its highly flammable so use your head please. it will however instantly harden the glue letting you move on faster and eliminating the need to sit around holding 2 parts together waiting for the glue to cool.

Cheers!

Hey Privateer,

Check out Gorilla brand superglue gel. I've found it works fantastically for bonding foam pieces together. It's a bit more expensive, but you get a stronger bond than with hotglue, and you don't have to deal with all those strings and overflows from the seams.

hey thanks privateer for your help! ive ran out of time to make the collar properly but i will definatly be using that method when i fix it up :)

I cut a strip of foam to glue inside the neck then shaped it with my dremel and a sanding wheel. finally I shaped it with a heatgun, a good hot hair dryer would work also. Heat the foam from each side then shape and hold it in place with your hands for a couple seconds while it cools. I will be adding this style of neckseal as soon as I get more mats.

kat1.jpg

This pic is just GLORIOUS! I'm going to have to make that whole thing for my girl now. Is there a thread of the build for that suit she is wearing? Any info on how it was made and who made would be awesome. thanks.

This pic is just GLORIOUS! I'm going to have to make that whole thing for my girl now. Is there a thread of the build for that suit she is wearing? Any info on how it was made and who made would be awesome. thanks.

that suit was made for the Live action trailers for reach i beleive, she was just lucky enough to get to wear it round PAX this year.

Well I managed to complete the shoulders today so far and get a coat of plastidip shot on em. Pic quality isnt the best sorry its bright out there.

P9140568.jpg

P9140570.jpg

More to come.

Cheers!

(EDIT) I went ahead and painted em just to get the feel of my paint scheme lol. I think they turned out well for just over a hour total working time on em.

P9140574.jpg

P9140573.jpg

P9140572.jpg

Wow. Did you airbrush those?

Rattle can, drybrush, and airbrush.

I wonder if those of us building with foam should continue to build our threads here in the pep section or are we going to have to create a seperate area for foamies lol. We are basing our builds from pep patterns and the cutting and gluing is similar Just wondering.

Cheers!

(EDIT) more painted parts! I just finished my handplates while Im working out how Im going to build the guauntlets.

P9140576.jpg

Managed to get some more done on the armor today finished the right forearm and tried it on for movement sucess!!
again bad quality but Ill get some new pics tomorrow hopefully.

new-arm.jpg

Cheers!

I can try to put something together when I start on my legs. Right now my other arm is almost complete Im just tweaking the mount for my phone and mp3 player Then Ill detail and paint it up. Im also starting to contemplate doing another chest and back plate so I can make a smoother part with less seams. As I progress with the suit Im learning alot of tricks that will help me make a better chestplate.

Cheers!

This is some awesome work, I really like the method. I'm thinking about using it for a Jun suit, and a tutorial would be awesome!

If you do end up making a tutorial for this method, may I suggest that you do it on the new chest/back plate. (assuming you are doing a new one)
I believe that that would actually be more beneficial and easier to understand for everyone, especially since you can get better pics.

Drive out to Kingwood this weekend, We'll build new parts and Tutorialize it... got a pile of foam mats to cut up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back