Reach Emile Build *updates W/pics!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
K, updates w/pics! I need some critique on symmetry, can everybody give their 2 cents on symmetry corrections on the visor?

S6304754.jpg

S6304755.jpg

S6304756.jpg

and now the back... much cleaned up. Still needs work though. The purple stuff is foamies I'm using to build up the back raised panel. (oh, and the yellow barf-colored stuff is casting resin I was sealing it in with... till i decided it needed to be thinner.)

S6304757.jpg

and a shot of me wearing it. Don;t you love the charlie brown shirt? ;)

S6304760.jpg
I'm a small guy, so I'm going to have to pad this up a bit... but If I'm making a mold, I want this to FIT when I'm older, so I'll be a bit of a bobble-head for now. I'm seriously considering using Nicktendo's EVA helm for a temporary piece, as it requires like zero work. Can't wait till it's released... and let me know about the jaw area. That's probably the most inaccurate part of L3x's file, so that's where a lot of work will be done... anyway, give me some feedback!

Boba Fett said:
K, updates w/pics! I need some critique on symmetry, can everybody give their 2 cents on symmetry corrections on the visor?...

What I would suggest is taking some photos from further back, about six feet or so. Any closer and you can get perspective distortion which can make things look more out of line than they really are, that'll make the judging of the symmetry much easier.

From that top photo though it looks like the top (camera) left is a little higher and the right side comes out a little more than the left. The (camera) left side of the jaw is a little lower too but nothing major and some of it could be the distortion in the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was holding the camera. It wasn't on a tripod... I'll try and go get some better pics later. the right side of the helmet has not been worked on as much as the left, so that could account from some of it. part of my worries come from the top (first pic) of the dome and along the sides of the top. trying to remedy that...

Ok, has pics. Took them from about 5 feet away using a tripod. This better?

S6304761.jpg

S6304763.jpg

S6304762.jpg

S6304764.jpg

Pretty simple to pep, just need to make sure the parts are aligned correctly. It does require a lot of work though.

for the visor, MY initial solution was to cast the entire visor in the clear resin smooth-on makes. Then, polish it from the inside and i'm all set. That, or a vac-form pull. But recently I got the idea of casting the entire visor in regular smooth-on, then installing a clear piece of plastic where the scratched skull is. Or just have that section molded in smooth-on clear resin. It depends where it is though, and where it sits on my head. I wanted to put a mini camera in the side pod, then place a small screen in the helmet, but that's a bit too expensive... I'll figure it out somehow.

Your idea about casting the visor from clear resin is one that I considered myself because there are so many difficulties with making a visor this shape. The visor on this helmet is quite similar to the one on my daft punk Guy helmet. I could find no reasonable way to cast a visor from that clear resin without building a complex mold just for the purpose which would be an involved side project.

The curve back on the top of that visor is going to be tough to accomplish. Because of the shape the buck will have a very high draw depth and you wont be able to pull it on a small 12" vac table. You will need an 18" table at the very minimum.

yeah, and it'll get expensive... fast. I think careful slushcasting is the only way. Then polishing out the back to take out the runs is in order. Any thoughts about the helmet shape?

Looking really good so far. I'll actually be tackling this project soon enough myself.

I hope to have it done for the premier along with two of my friends as Jun and Jorge. :D

Hey broski!

Lookin' good there! Keep up the kick@$$ work!

Haha I'm wondering if ur gonna make the knife for the suit too? i guess it wouldnt be authentic if you didn't... lol

but anyway, you lead me down the path to awesomeness!!

I would like to call a moment of silence for the end of the Reach Beta today... and for good ol' Halo 2....

Ok! well... ill be keeping tabs on your progress!

EDIT::] My first post!! lolololol :D

FlamingCrisis said:
Hey broski!

Lookin' good there! Keep up the kick@$$ work!

Haha I'm wondering if ur gonna make the knife for the suit too? i guess it wouldnt be authentic if you didn't... lol

but anyway, you lead me down the path to awesomeness!!

I would like to call a moment of silence for the end of the Reach Beta today... and for good ol' Halo 2....

Ok! well... ill be keeping tabs on your progress!

EDIT::] My first post!! lolololol :D

Actually, the beta is online for 1 more day... the Bungie Gods gave it new life. ;) Thanks dude. Of COURSE I'm gonna make the knife. Jeez, after knowing me for like 2-3 years... My insanity is legendary! :pFor an update, no pics (no batteries, I HATE my camera) I'm pepping the Chest piece. Got the top front done. I'm backing it with cardboard and foam-core board to prevent warping... now, I had a question about smooth-cast 300. Can I use smooth-cast to fulfill the role of fiberglass resin? I mean, will fiberglass become rock-hard if I use smoothcast? I'm trying to get a single gallon kit to work for the whole suit. Since about $20 should be more than enough for fiberglass, I wanted a sort of filler for the smoothcast. So a thin layer of 300, a single sheet of fiberglass, then a top layer of smoothcast. Will it work? :unsure

Oh, and if anyone hasn't noticed, FlamingCrisis is, like my best friend. The one responsible for my Halo addiction... and for Lee Keegan, the reason he joined is he was so inspired when he saw your sniper. The 405th now gets members for a single person, a single thread, a single post, and about 4 pics.

wow, thats looking great. this is definately going into my watch-list. can't wait to see where this goes. and i, too, need to get started on my build :/ i'm not sure weather to go with warmachine or ODST.... wut do you think? anyways, wut are you going to do for the visor? I've always wondered how to do the EVA visor O_O also, are you going to make all those grenades he has? Also, from what I understand, LEE made Emile's knife, and he's going to make a mold and make some. He (LEE) also has the sheath. here's a picture with all of Emile's grenades he also has a pistol holster on his leg. BTW, have you thought of putting a strong magnet inside the pistol and another magnet inside the theigh-piece to have the floating effect that happens in game? im probably insane, lol.... anyway, keep up the awesome work man!

emile-halo-reach-character-artwork.jpg

First off this is on my watch list too. I especially interested in the sliced dmr. The visor of the eva will be interesting to. To tomb-stone, magnets are how the guns are held up in the cannon and it has been done before ("on a mission to build 5 suits" thread, one of the ODSTs does this for his AR).

cool. i have been inactive for a while, as i have had months worth of projects and finals, but now that my workload is slowing down, im able to get back on. anyway, i was thinking magnets would be great and add that accuracy which is seen in the games. It's cool to know that it has been done by someone instead of me dreaming.btw, what cannon? the covenant cannon?

Boba Fett said:
YE GODS! TRIPLE POST! But, this has pics!

I'm going to scrap the WETA project for now, because looking at it, Reach is so much better, And if I'm going to spend a hundred-3 hundred bucks, might as wel make it bad-@$$ So, the most Bad-@$$ Reach spartan of them all... Emile!

S6304706.jpg

S6304705.jpg

S6304704.jpg

S6304703.jpg

I filled the inside with durham's water putty, a very cheap, stron material. It WILL crack if dropped, but I'm not planning on wearing this anyway, to make this a reality, I almost HAVE to mold this. So, I have a lot of detailing work to do, holes to be drilled, bondo work, etc. I plan on casting the visor in that smooth-on clear resin. If I polish it out smooth, you should be able to see out the front. It will require Redshirt's painted polarization method, but that's the only way to get the skull and the detailin there, as I doubt my vac-former is capable of handling it. (I wouldn;t even call it a real vac-former.) I am also pepping the torso, but my currect version is rather small on me... Will post pics of that when it;s the right size. And I will not mold all the pieces, just the helmet, and maybe the shins. Not sure. The 'nades will have to be molded thoush. All armor is to be done with smooth-cast 300 for hardenign, since my mom yelled at me for using the fiberglass resin you see on the helmet. ah well... Let em know what you think! If the helmet is good, and I make a good mold, I will probably do a short run on it. But still have to make a decent product first...

this...

Desu-1.gif

is full of Desu.

Project003 said:
this...

Desu-1.gif

is full of Desu.

Ummm... I'm not sure if I should be happy or insulted? :eek

For the visor, I want to either vac-for it, or when I mold it, cast the visor in clear resin. I also toyed with making it solid, then drilling a tiny hole letting my cameraphone be my eyes, but I don't think that would work too well... Yep, I wanna use a magnet to attach the M6G and hopefully, a modified shotty or DMR. For the grenades, forged reclaimer made a pep file accurate for emile's grenades. Pep it, detail it, and drop it in some silicone... Last thing, I think I may re-do the helmet. I looked, and Chevy's rule's helmet is sooooo much more game accurate. I may turn this into my own vision of emile if I worked for bungie... The chin area is really unusable. The back has some incorrect details too. So, I'm working on the chest at the moment, I'm going to be picking up batteries when I go volunteer at the library after school, so I hope to get a few pics up. Thanks for the support, and I hope I can get this done for the release... If my mom would let me go... at least I can wear it for Halloween.

Looks good man! For your questions regarding symmetry earlier I suggest taking photos with as little lens distortion as possible. When I take my reference pics I like to set up my camera as far away as possible and zoom all the way in that way you're getting the most orthographic view possible and it will make critiquing/3d modeling easier.

Keep it up!

hugh i think you can get the same result by moving the zooming the camera all the way out an just moving the camera then you shouldnt have distortion do to the lenses. I have a link some were when i dug something on that on the rpf

lol, zooming in from a distance isn't good. that magnifies hand movement, making it look more blury. what i would suggest, is making a pile of books, zooming out all the way, and putting the camera at a straight angle to the helmet. what i mean is, put the helmet on a flat surface, then make a pile of hardcover books thats a little less than half the height of the helmet, place the camera on top of the pile, and take the picture. that should give it a very straightforeward angle, and you shouldn't get distortion. but, i think that the distortion might just be caused by the browser. anyways, keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back