Hey just wanted to pop in and say I'm making progress - I've got the final primer coat on now, next steps are a complete sand to 400 grit, probably wet sanding; then glue on the underbarrel laser and the magazine base; then final paint. I may not put up any more pix until the dang thing is DONE.
Don't worry, I'm taking pix of everything, just want to finish this beast. Major project fatigue.
YIKES it's been a year and a half! Well... hey! I've gotten back to my M6G, finally painting the darn thing! I actually went back and did even more sanding and filling and priming and tweaking first. Like one does. Anyway, here's photos:
I'm painting with a plain ol' rattle-can silver metallic first, then I'll be airbrushing black into all the part lines, crevices and recesses. Then a sort of splatter, spotty-coverage coat of flat black all over for some variation, then Tamiya Gunmetal for the base coat. Going by the reference, it looks like a good idea to do a gradient from the top with Light Gunmetal, really just a dusting. From there I'll figure out the detail painting.
I hope I can get this finished soon, at least I can see the end of it. I'm being hampered by the weather, it's unusually cold in SoCal so the paint dries much slower and I straight up can't paint in the evenings or at night.
Lesson learned: wood isn't my favorite material for this kind of thing. Too "mushy", hard to get a precision surface. Next one will be 3D printed, much more accurate and much much faster!