Yay, update! Here's progress made over the last week in little chunks of shop time... I cut out, carved, routed and sanded the mag base block. Tricky work! I did it very very slowly and carefully. Figured out a Dremel routing trick - if you have a big vise with flat-topped jaws, you can put a piece in it oriented with the desired cut depth parallel to the vise jaws, and use the plunge guard attachment to slide along the jaws to keep perfect depth. You can see the big rout on the bottom's base is not parallel to ANY surface of the block, that's how I did it. Finally, carving the handgrips! I marked these out with pen and then messed with various ways of carving them out. Finally settled on using the Dremel with a sanding drum bit, which works really well on the MDF. Not finished yet, but I got a good chunk of it done. I think I should get a "V"-router bit for the Dremel, tho. Would have helped a lot. So many little things to do from here out. I hope to get to work on the rear sight tonight.