Reach Spartan III Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really helps to have a friend help you while you look in a mirror and just test out different sizes/spacing and to mark it. Keep that in mind TBHatter :)

I'm 5' 8"

I used the size whats saved in the uploaded file. But I did some manual adjusting to make it fit better.

chestsize1.jpg

I cut about 1 1/2 inch where the front meets the back.

Then I removed this whole section to make it huge the body better.
chestsize2.jpg

Hope that helps. I'm not too good with sizing stuff.
I'm definitely going to be retooling the model once the game comes out, so it really has the right proportions.

what files are you using?

what files are you using?

The chest is of my own making with a few elements from Rundown and Spartan-029.

You can grab the files I have released on our Dawn Under Heaven project website, it's under the content page.

Like I said before I'll be releasing all kind of goodies once the game comes out. Including reworking the files I have released so far. So if you want to wait till then for the most accurate and detailed models, I'd do that. But I know some want to start working right now, so I've put what I have so far.

Thanks for the interest!

dude so far it is the most accurate i mean absolutely no disrespect to any of the other wonderful modelers on the 405th it just my opion i got some of the toys from game stop because my wife works there and looking at them landerson you come real close acenat has some bicepts files that look spot on for spartan im useing it for my carter build awesome job so far though dude and i cant wait till the game comes out send me a friend request aloha

there anyway you could send me the file for the helmet trying to make armor for a convention i am going to. i would also love the chest piece if you could. i just feel that the mark 6 is over used at places like that. please email me or message me. my email is ttg1990@hotmail.com. thank you

Hey, im still trying to get the perfect scale for your chest and im wondering how far onto your shoulder should it reach. I am pretty sure it should cover your entire shoulder and i think it is supposed to have some overlap.

I took a picture of my shoulder and was hoping you could give me an idea or take it into paint and draw a line if thats wouldnt be too mcuch trouble. I want this one to fit well unlike the Mark VI i have which is way to big! D:

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/shugo154/?action=view&current=Picture160.jpg

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

have you tryed useing http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2 this really help me out if not try emailing him or shoot him a pm he is very helpful when it comes to scaleing armor
Hey, im still trying to get the perfect scale for your chest and im wondering how far onto your shoulder should it reach. I am pretty sure it should cover your entire shoulder and i think it is supposed to have some overlap.

I took a picture of my shoulder and was hoping you could give me an idea or take it into paint and draw a line if thats wouldnt be too mcuch trouble. I want this one to fit well unlike the Mark VI i have which is way to big! D:

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/shugo154/?action=view&current=Picture160.jpg

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Helmet Update

Started painting up my helmet. I ran into a couple problems but I think it's still looking cool.

First my texture coat didn't really texture anything.
helmet7.jpg

helmet8.jpg

Then I color coat decided to crackle all over... kind of looked cool though.
helmet9.jpg

I'm thinking it probably had to do with spraying it when it was in the 50's outside. It's starting to get cold in Minnesota.

Next day was able to get a nice coat on it. Still have to paint some areas black and add detail.
helmet10.jpg

Lastly, I've come to peace that I'm probably not going to finish my suit for the launch...:(
It was a great goal and I'm happy with how far I got, especially this being my first time.
My new goal is to have my helmet ready to show off and sport while standing in line. 7 more days!!!

Very nice helmet! I actually like that weird cracking thing that's going on, very unique :D
Shame you can't make it for launch, at least your helm will be done though.

dude i would have left the cracking on it. that looked soo cool. but that is just me i like the not exactly to orriginal looks. going good though i like the detail on it.

OOOOHHHHH! FJ Para Shoulders.... Irresistible!
Been highly productive.

I present my mostly finished chest piece...
chest7.jpg

chest5.jpg

It's not completely pepped, but I'm very satisfied with how it turned out.

Also was able to put together my shoulder attachments.
shoulder1.jpg

Lastly I just felt like putting some of the stuff i had on for a pic.
chest3.jpg

Helmet Update

Hey guys, got a lot further on my helmet as we get closer to launch.

Got my other areas painted black, around the visor and the back neck area.

Next I moved on to paint detail, my favorite part:)

I printed out some templates on to sticky label paper to help with the bleeding.
templates.JPG

Next I cut them out with a knife and tried out our new airbrush.
unsc_paint.JPG

Some things I learned include make sure the paint isn't to watery, it'll never really cover the area and start to soak in the paper and ruin the adhesive.
Also either do a coat of the under color to create a seal around the edges or just do a light coat at first and let it dry.

I of course had some problems so I had to fix it up a little.
unsc.JPG

I also did the yellow arrows on the front and also did some more wear and tear on the helmet.
helmet11.JPG

helmet12.JPG

helmet13.JPG

helmet14.JPG

On my todo list is to fit my visor in, and also dirty the helmet up to make it look more real. Then figuring out inside padding to make it fit and feel good.

That's it for tonight, will probably have another update friday. 5 days!

Now thats a battle hardened helmet!
Suit looks great, im looking forward to the end product.
How did those sticky labels hold up?

I'll take a shot in the dark. Not exactly dark, I can see your paint cans, and I know exactly why this happened to your paint finish.

You sprayed a hammered finish silver as your "texture" coat, correct?

That Rust-O-Leum Hammered Finish Silver paint has additives that causes the paint to resist binding, causing the paint to have the "textured" look, but thats not your issue. The Resin type used in "ROL" Hammered paints is a "Modified Alkyd", to put it simply it is an oil based paint.

You then took that Black Night Metallic paint and sprayed over your Hammered Silver, correct?

The Resin Type in Rust-O-Leum Mettalic Black is a "Solvent Acrylic", and to put that simply, it is a water based paint.

So, you sprayed a water based paint over the surface of an oil based paint. You didn't notice it cracking immediatly, thats becuase over time the oil will leech out the hammer paint surface, and before the black dried, it reacted with the oil, causing the "cracks".

My next guess is that you didn't sit and watch paint dry, so you came back and did the, ZOMG, WTF happened dance. Well, Now you know. Water based over an oil based paint does really funny stuff.

Thats not to say that you'd never be able to paint over a hammered finish oil based paint with a water based acrylic paint. But you really need to plan in advnace if you want to do that. You need to allow a few days for the hammer paint to cure first, and it is important to thoroughly clean the surface before spraying on your water based color coat. Any oil left will cause your paint to do funny stuff.

Need a the credentials to back up the explination, well I am Mechanical Engineer, the education gave me the ability to understand the technical reasons, but thats not exactly why I know. Having this as a paint rack gave me the experience to know a lot about spray paints, and how to cause purposeful paint effects like the one you accidentally had happen. This isn't even all of the paint, its just spray paints I use regularly...

P.S. Hammered finish paints typically require a few coats to get a noticeable hammered finish.

PaintRack.jpg

Good luck on the rest of your build, looking great so far.

PaintRack.jpg

nicely done! i didn't know sticky label paper could be used.. did it work well? :)

Yea i think it worked quite well. Obviously i had trouble with making our airbrush paint to thin so it just soaked in the paper and then bleed, but if done right it works great. The idea just came to me. I'm not sure how they would do with just a spray can.

Thanks Spase for the info. I had a feeling it was something like that. It was my first time painting a piece so definitely a learning experience

So, im a little more than half way done with your chest pice. It is a beauty let me say. Once i get to resining and fiber glassing, then neck hole is going to be too small for my head to get through but in order for it to be sized right that is going to be an issue. So, as the modeler, where are you planning on cutting so you can fit into the armor?

Hope you answer soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back