Real Life Half Life/stargate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, me and one of my internet buddies, as I call them, believe that these people claiming something bad is gonna happen most likely didn't study Physics in college. He's somewhat of a physics nut and even he says it probably won't do anything horrible.

-> I can use that same explination to debunk the 'Black hole' debate. Every black hole formed (and there will be a lot of them), will only exist at the sub-atomic level for incredibly small amounts of time, not large enough to do any damage.

That's exactly what my friend said. The black hole would most likely be a very small one and would last for a fraction of a second (if it does create one).

(w00t, 1,000 posts, I need to shut up o_O)

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as they don't cross the streams.. Because that would be bad..
Let me know when they can make a colider that is about "back-pack" size :D

Anyways, I think this will be just another waste of millions of dollars that could be used for better things other than to keep up scientific hobbies.
Like the Hubble telescope, sure it sends us spiffy looking images that make nice posters you can buy at the mall.
But really, what else does it do to justify the price tag?

Another one is the mars hole digger. A $150 million dollar toy to dig holes in a planet no one will ever go to... And they can't even get the thing back.. Whatever :D

CPU64 said:
But really, what else does it do to justify the price tag?

Another one is the mars hole digger. A $150 million dollar toy to dig holes in a planet no one will ever go to... And they can't even get the thing back.. Whatever :D

If they discover a Slipspace like sub-universe, than I'd say that's a pretty big-@$$ market.

We'll have to foot the bill for the SPARTAN-II program :p.

Spartan137 said:
If they discover a Slipspace like sub-universe, than I'd say that's a pretty big-@$$ market.

We'll have to foot the bill for the SPARTAN-II program :p.

Even if they do, trust me, we have a hard enough time getting to the moon which is only a stone's throw away compared to utilizing any sub-universe discovery.
Even if most refuse to accept, we humans are extremely limited in our capacity towards anything outside this planet.

We're a speck of dust wondering about something we can't even understand, or explain outside of "theories and speculations" :D

I'd say use the money for something useful, not an expensive hobby.. He agrees with me ->

I'd say use the money for something useful, not an expensive hobby..

I'd have to disagree with you. I think the study of physics is probably the only useful thing humanity has ever done. The shame of it is, there isn't nearly enough physics taught in schools at a young enough age, so there are generations growing up, who simply have no concept of how important the subject is, and they also lack any sort of understanding. Because of this, there is almost a type of dark age happening right now. Physicists are studying mysteries so complex, unless you study some science, you wont even understand the questions they are asking, let alone the results of any experiments. So the gap just widens. The title of this thread sums it up quite well. Because education of the subject in the general public is so poor, people assume that since they don't know about it, it mustn't be important, otherwise it would be on the news right? A few years back a team in Melbourne "teleported" a photon, from one point, to another, instantaneously. It travelled without moving. That is a pretty earth shatteringly important discovery.
It was given less than 5 seconds on the news and the reporter talked more about star trek than the actual science, whereas the local sports was given a half an hour of coverage and 5 minute article about some numb skull signing a new contract with a club.
We are left with a disgusting state of affairs, where people think science is like some type of democracy, where everyone's opinions are equal, and everyone should be listened to. The result is, people trying to stop hadron collider research, people getting in the way of gene therapy research, people just getting in the way full stop. as you can see, I get quite wound up about it.

hey NZ you got a link to the atom teleport news article? i didnt even hear about it at all and wanna check it out?

Forgive me but i am slightly leaning towards the guy who walks around with a sign on his neck saying:
Experienced MIT graduate - Needs work.

Not saying science is useless. I love science. I just don't like useless spending.

Realistically, the space programs are really just a flashy waste of money. We don't really get much back from the millions spent. (Other than pretty pictures)
What's a useful benefit of the space station, the Hubble telescope, the mars digger.

It was a photon, not an atom but sure, here you go

Link

These guys are doing atoms
Link

Link

. I just don't like useless spending.

What would you call million dollar missiles fired at buildings worth a few thousand dollars? I'd rather see experimental research.

Excuse the double post but,

What's a useful benefit of the space station, the Hubble telescope, the mars digger.

Interestingly enough, I read somewhere the average American spends more on cable television than they do on funding science, What's the useful benefit of that? Anyway, your statement should be fun to look into a bit.

Space Station
"The National Institute of Health has said that protein crystal growth is the number one research tool that we'll be using in the next century..." In a normal gravity environment, protein crystals grow imperfections and impurities, though aboard the orbiting laboratories of the International Space Station protein crystals can be grown to almost perfection. This will allow the development of more pure pharmaceutical drugs, foods and an assortment of other crystalline-based products including insulin for diabetes patients." hmm sounds good, what else?
"Aboard the International Space Station the field of fundamental physics has a grand opportunity. Not only will the laws of quantum theory as they pertain to mapping of the relic of quantum gravity --gravitational waves generated from the Big Bang -- be tested. But the areas of high powered physics will be able to develop new, more precise atomic clocks with the combination of a new laser cooling technology and microgravity" Sweet
Many of the new engineering technologies being developed on the International Space Station will lead to improved commercial space communication systems for personal phone, computer and video use." Great, more media for fat children

Hubble
Over 4,000 papers based on Hubble data have been published in peer-reviewed journals (wikipedeia quote) lets just assume at least one or two of those was important :)
"One of the many spinoffs from the Hubble telescope is the use of its Charge Coupled Device (CCD) chips for digital imaging breast biopsies. The resulting device images breast tissue more clearly and efficiently than other existing technologies. The CCD chips are so advanced that they can detect the minute differences between a malignant or benign tumour without the need for a surgical biopsy. This saves the patient weeks of recovery time and the cost for this procedure is hundreds of dollars vs. thousands for a surgical biopsy. With over 500,000 women needing biopsies a year the economic benefit, per year, is tremendous and it greatly reduces the pain, scarring, radiation exposure, time, and money associated with surgical biopsies"
Everybody loves boobies right?
lets say this treatment is 100 now, and was 1000. ( I dont know the exact amounts so this is just a guess based on the previous quote).
$900 (the saving made by using hubbles CCD chips) x 500000 = $450000000 Thats a pretty big saving, and thats only one year, lets multiply that saving by the lifespan of the hubble
$450000000 x 17 years = $7.65 billion .... Hmmm Hubble's not looking so expensive now is it?
How much did hubble cost to date? only 3 billion.
So, by tit savings alone, the hubble has not only paid for itself, but is 4.6 billion in the black.

The Martian landers.

They found water. do you need another reason? Our great great great grandchildren might need it to water their lawns.

Now the American space research budget is tiny. something like .06% of the total which is about 3 trillion a year.
Ask yourself, what did you get back out of the 700 billion spent on knives guns and bombs last year? Dead children, heart ache, and expensive petrol? Compare it with what the world gets from the tiny 25 billion spent on science. Imagine what could happen of those budgets were swapped around, for only one year?

Half-life? Nah, guys, what's going to happen here is the exact plotline of DOOM 3, but not on mars.

Better start prayin'.
:D

CPU64 said:
Not saying science is useless. I love science. I just don't like useless spending.

Realistically, the space programs are really just a flashy waste of money. We don't really get much back from the millions spent.

Uhm, now I'm sure you know this, because you love science, but I'm gonna say it anyway: You don't know, how useful the stuff you're studying is going to be. Or if it'll get used the way you though it would be.

Research always "wastes" a bit of money in the process, but if we knew everything already, we wouldn't need research. imo, if research is done properly, then knowledge is always gained, and so, we do get a lot back.

BTW, I don't think they teleport matter yet. what you can teleport is information. so you'd have 2 entangled photons, and if you change one, the other one also changes instantly and without connection, hence "teleportation". physicists don't like the word "teleport" ;)

Anyway, if anything's going to go wrong/blow up/etc, it's ITER, and that'll only blow up france, so we win in all situations. :lol:

I agree with NZ. We don't spend enough on research into the quantum physics department. When I hear that the avg American spends more on cable than science, I know we've f***ed ourselves pretty good.

Consider this. If we somehow manage to build a permenant installation on the Moon, we would be able to launch high bulk materials and spacecraft for fractions of the amount a single shuttle launch costs. With the ability to launch spacecraft and probes that can now be much larger for the same price, we may be able to harvest hydrogen from Jupitor, for use in fusion reactors. We could build immense solar farms that would beam their energy back to earth in microwave beams. Hell, we could potentially teraform Mars and possibly Venus.

Science is what we use to help develop new forms of energy, like fusion and biomass, that could potentially solve all of our energy problems. Does the 4$ per gallon on gas inspire you to dump money into scientific research? If not, your a dumba** Republican.

Potentially, anything could happen.

Does scientific research waste money? No

Does the war in Iraq, with its 'Billion $ per DAY' waste money? Yes^10

I also think that science should recieve a higher statute in the mass media. When teleportation technology is passed off as something from Star-Trek, or something thats too good to be true, we've lost our vision.

And DOOM 3 is about Demons, not inter-universal rifts.

Now the American space research budget is tiny. something like .06% of the total which is about 3 trillion a year.
Ask yourself, what did you get back out of the 700 billion spent on knives guns and bombs last year? Dead children, heart ache, and expensive petrol? Compare it with what the world gets from the tiny 25 billion spent on science. Imagine what could happen of those budgets were swapped around, for only one year?

Also consider the amount of money spent on ammunition, only to be blown off and left on the ground, in the trash, embedded in buildings, etc... I estimate that we spend 1 Billion + on ammunition every 3 monthes.

When you think about this, it is kinda scary knowing that there is a slight possibility that, the human race as we know it, could just be wiped out. But owell, if it does all go wrong, I so hope it causes a black hole, so we die instantly. If it doesn't cause a catastrophic event, i hope it causes worm holes to other dimentions, galaxies or even universes, because that would be so cool.
That brings me to a point, what would it be like if the whole human race just suddenly died/disappeared?

When you think about this, it is kinda scary knowing that there is a slight possibility that, the human race as we know it, could just be wiped out
Not really, what they are doing with the collider, occcurs billions of times a second, all over the universe, and it hasnt broken yet.

That brings me to a point, what would it be like if the whole human race just suddenly died/disappeared?

It wouldn't matter, we wouldn't be here to observe it. Its like saying "what if red was actually green" It's pointless.

SilentL00nytic said:
When you think about this, it is kinda scary knowing that there is a slight possibility that, the human race as we know it, could just be wiped out.

Not really. If it happend, you would never know it. You would just cease to exist. The fear comes from what could potentially happen after the event. But if nothing comes after, what's to fear?

SilentL00nytic said:

And what if I spontaniosly combusted? It's not gonna happen.

But there are a few books out there about that topic... you should go track 'em down.

SilentL00nytic said:
I wish I hadn't replied with what I put now :(.

Haha... don't feel bad dude, you just got unlucky that both myself and NZ-TK both replied to your comment.

But I was serious, there are a few books about what would happen if we spontaniously disappeared.

There was also a tv show about this on the History Channel not too long ago.

Also, what happened to talking about the collider? This thread has devolved into talk about the usage of tax dollars and the usefulness of science.

Anyone psyched about possible new discoveries concerning anti-matter? Imagine a way to generate electricity at 100% efficiency...

"What is it?" "Its Your Stargate." "CHEVRON ONE ENGAGED, CHEVRON TWO ENGAGED, CHEVRON THREE ENGAGED, CHEVRON FOUR ENGAGED, CHEVRON FIVE ENGAGED, CHEVRON SIX ENGAGED, CHEVRON SEVEN.. LOCKED." FWOOSH!!!

likes2snipe said:
wouldn't the micro black holes gravity be combined with the earths? So the micro black hole would just end up being absorbed into it?

no a micro black hole is so small and dense that it would pass right through the earth...now if it was the size of lets say anything really small that you could see like a grain of sand or something... it would get stuck in the center of the earth and its gravity would suck us into nothingness the size of a slightly larger grain of sand... but some theorist say that the earth gets struck by micro black holes all the time. but like all theorys until proven its just talk..

like here is my latest theory... when the collider turns on, the magnets will put out such a force on earths magnetic field that compassas all over the world will be useless....btw this is based on no scientific evidence, just wanted to prove how dangerous theorys can be when the wrong person starts talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back