Real Life Half Life/stargate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redragon74

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080628/ap_on_...omsday_collider
Scientists: Nothing to fear from atom-smasher By DOUGLAS BIRCH, Associated Press Writer
Sat Jun 28, 3:08 PM ET

MEYRIN, Switzerland - The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.

But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?

Ridiculous, say scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French initials CERN — some of whom have been working for a generation on the $5.8 billion collider, or LHC.

"Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on," said project leader Lyn Evans.

David Francis, a physicist on the collider's huge ATLAS particle detector, smiled when asked whether he worried about black holes and hypothetical killer particles known as strangelets.

"If I thought that this was going to happen, I would be well away from here," he said.

The collider basically consists of a ring of supercooled magnets 17 miles in circumference attached to huge barrel-shaped detectors. The ring, which straddles the French and Swiss border, is buried 330 feet underground.

The machine, which has been called the largest scientific experiment in history, isn't expected to begin test runs until August, and ramping up to full power could take months. But once it is working, it is expected to produce some startling findings.

Scientists plan to hunt for signs of the invisible "dark matter" and "dark energy" that make up more than 96 percent of the universe, and hope to glimpse the elusive Higgs boson, a so-far undiscovered particle thought to give matter its mass.

The collider could find evidence of extra dimensions, a boon for superstring theory, which holds that quarks, the particles that make up atoms, are infinitesimal vibrating strings.

The theory could resolve many of physics' unanswered questions, but requires about 10 dimensions — far more than the three spatial dimensions our senses experience.

The safety of the collider, which will generate energies seven times higher than its most powerful rival, at Fermilab near Chicago, has been debated for years. The physicist Martin Rees has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million — long odds, to be sure, but about the same as winning some lotteries.

By contrast, a CERN team this month issued a report concluding that there is "no conceivable danger" of a cataclysmic event. The report essentially confirmed the findings of a 2003 CERN safety report, and a panel of five prominent scientists not affiliated with CERN, including one Nobel laureate, endorsed its conclusions.

Critics of the LHC filed a lawsuit in a Hawaiian court in March seeking to block its startup, alleging that there was "a significant risk that ... operation of the Collider may have unintended consequences which could ultimately result in the destruction of our planet."

One of the plaintiffs, Walter L. Wagner, a physicist and lawyer, said Wednesday CERN's safety report, released June 20, "has several major flaws," and his views on the risks of using the particle accelerator had not changed.

On Tuesday, U.S. Justice Department lawyers representing the Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation filed a motion to dismiss the case.

The two agencies have contributed $531 million to building the collider, and the NSF has agreed to pay $87 million of its annual operating costs. Hundreds of American scientists will participate in the research.

The lawyers called the plaintiffs' allegations "extraordinarily speculative," and said "there is no basis for any conceivable threat" from black holes or other objects the LHC might produce. A hearing on the motion is expected in late July or August.

In rebutting doomsday scenarios, CERN scientists point out that cosmic rays have been bombarding the earth, and triggering collisions similar to those planned for the collider, since the solar system formed 4.5 billion years ago.

And so far, Earth has survived.

"The LHC is only going to reproduce what nature does every second, what it has been doing for billions of years," said John Ellis, a British theoretical physicist at CERN.

Critics like Wagner have said the collisions caused by accelerators could be more hazardous than those of cosmic rays.

Both may produce micro black holes, subatomic versions of cosmic black holes — collapsed stars whose gravity fields are so powerful that they can suck in planets and other stars.

But micro black holes produced by cosmic ray collisions would likely be traveling so fast they would pass harmlessly through the earth.

Micro black holes produced by a collider, the skeptics theorize, would move more slowly and might be trapped inside the earth's gravitational field — and eventually threaten the planet.

Ellis said doomsayers assume that the collider will create micro black holes in the first place, which he called unlikely. And even if they appeared, he said, they would instantly evaporate, as predicted by the British physicist Stephen Hawking.

As for strangelets, CERN scientists point out that they have never been proven to exist. They said that even if these particles formed inside the Collider they would quickly break down.

When the LHC is finally at full power, two beams of protons will race around the huge ring 11,000 times a second in opposite directions. They will travel in two tubes about the width of fire hoses, speeding through a vacuum that is colder and emptier than outer space.

Their trajectory will be curved by supercooled magnets — to guide the beams around the rings and prevent the packets of protons from cutting through the surrounding magnets like a blowtorch.

The paths of these beams will cross, and a few of the protons in them will collide, at a series of cylindrical detectors along the ring. The two largest detectors are essentially huge digital cameras, each weighing thousands of tons, capable of taking millions of snapshots a second.

Each year the detectors will generate 15 petabytes of data, the equivalent of a stack of CDs 12 miles tall. The data will require a high speed global network of computers for analysis.

Wagner and others filed a lawsuit to halt operation of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, or RHIC, at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York state in 1999. The courts dismissed the suit.

The leafy campus of CERN, a short drive from the shores of Lake Geneva, hardly seems like ground zero for doomsday. And locals don't seem overly concerned. Thousands attended an open house here this spring.

"There is a huge army of scientists who know what they are talking about and are sleeping quite soundly as far as concerns the LHC," said project leader Evans.

get yer gas masks

Sounds cool....
My vote is a black hole, or it will allow travel into other dimensions.... both would be cool...

p0rtalman said:
Sounds cool....
My vote is a black hole, or it will allow travel into other dimensions.... both would be cool...

wouldn't the micro black holes gravity be combined with the earths? So the micro black hole would just end up being absorbed into it?

Last edited by a moderator:
all i care about is that its super cool.

so it its gone go wrong i still have half a summer to live which is great and then bye bye.
hahaha

no i just hope the find something mind blowing so it can be used fro household stuff. anti gravity matter ore something.
even the micro black holes would be a breakthrough knowing that the smartest man ever mister albert einstein said it not be possible.

welp if something like the slipspace portals happen.....i guess you can say us here in the 405 will be extremely prepared :D lol as i was reading this though i tried wrapping my head around that data storage, equivilant to a 12 mile stack of cds and then just this "The collider basically consists of a ring of supercooled magnets 17 miles in circumference attached to huge barrel-shaped detectors. The ring, which straddles the French and Swiss border, is buried 330 feet underground." like just trying to imagin it just makes my head go kaboom

Hmmmm, sounds interesting. However it also does sound like a "doomsday" device. I mean, the idea is cool and all but what if like a malfunction occurs. If you've played half life, then yeah. But other wise, then could this thing really discover portals and stuff? Could Slipspace technology really be something in the future? "I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night" - Quote private Griff RvB

EDIT: Or it could open a portal to the Ark. Check out the schematics picture, Looks like the Forunner ark portal. *cough cough* Plus the fact that it is 300 feet underground. :rolleyes

field28.png

that is true and taht is whats creepy about it, cause who really does know what happens when they flip on the switch, it is lottery odds of a failure. But theres still odds. we may open a portal to a new world, we may create zero g's we may even create a new energy source but hey.. atleast we tried lol

*edit after pic above* that was another thing that was running through my mind as a joke* there building a mini halo as an experiment

redragon74 said:
that is true and taht is whats creepy about it, cause who really does know what happens when they flip on the switch, it is lottery odds of a failure. But theres still odds. we may open a portal to a new world, we may create zero g's we may even create a new energy source but hey.. atleast we tried lol

*edit after pic above* that was another thing that was running through my mind as a joke* there building a mini halo as an experiment

True, but what if that "try" gets a killtacular on the world's population? But still if the scientist's say there isn't much danger, then all we can really do is watch and enjoy the summer vacation.

and go out with one hell of a firework show...*fires up barbq* want a hot dog? lol well they do say that it takes months to get to full power after the turn on in aug. and im pretty sure as soon as that switch is on and the start up sequence goes the little power thats in will atleast show what small problems *HOPEFULLY* they need to fix before 100% power and the major tests if you actually kinda think about it, its like a giant gause gun or rail gun ..just without the barrel and more electronics to do what they want

you have your giant magnet that creates your AC current and then discharges quickly to do whatever they want thats kinda the way i see it, technically if they modded it they could make one hell of a mac gun and i think that if an explosion of some sort did occur the 300 ft underground would be a buffer..thats just me thinking though

i love this stuff lol

Had a guy give a guest lecture on this at my University last semester. All I can say is Bosons FTW!

And Superstring theory? Anybody fill me in on this? Ive heard of String theory and Membrane theory but no Superstring theory. Maybe it's just a misnomer like when shows on the discovery channel say Pleistocene Era all the time. You'd think people would realize an Era is about a hundred million years at some point. :rolleyes

Superstring theory is an attempt to explain all of the particles and fundamental forces of nature in one theory by modelling them as vibrations of tiny supersymmetric strings. It is considered one of the most promising candidate theories of quantum gravity. Superstring theory is a shorthand for supersymmetric string theory because unlike bosonic string theory, it is the version of string theory that incorporates fermions and supersymmetry.

Background
The deepest problem in theoretical physics is harmonizing the theory of general relativity, which describes gravitation and applies to large-scale structures (stars, galaxies, super clusters), with quantum mechanics, which describes the other three fundamental forces acting on the atomic scale.

The development of a quantum field theory of a force invariably results in infinite (and therefore useless) probabilities. Physicists have developed mathematical techniques (renormalization) to eliminate these infinities which work for three of the four fundamental forces – electromagnetic, strong nuclear and weak nuclear forces - but not for gravity. The development of a quantum theory of gravity must therefore come about by different means than those used for the other forces.

[edit] Basic idea
The basic idea is that the fundamental constituents of reality are strings of the Planck length (about 10−33 cm) which vibrate at resonant frequencies. Every string in theory has a unique resonance, or harmonic. Different harmonics determine different fundamental forces. The tension in a string is on the order of the Planck force (1044 newtons). The graviton (the proposed messenger particle of the gravitational force), for example, is predicted by the theory to be a string with wave amplitude zero. Another key insight provided by the theory is that no measurable differences can be detected between strings that wrap around dimensions smaller than themselves and those that move along larger dimensions (i.e., effects in a dimension of size R equal those whose size is 1/R). Singularities are avoided because the observed consequences of "Big Crunches" never reach zero size. In fact, should the universe begin a "big crunch" sort of process, string theory dictates that the universe could never be smaller than the size of a string, at which point it would actually begin expanding

wikipedia

..i dont get it but i also dont get what they mean by strings to

Yeah. That just explained String theory lol. I'm still trying to figure out what's so "Super" about it. :lol: Guess there's no difference after all.

Membrane theory is an expansion on String theory that differs on the highest levels by what the overarching shape of universes are (sort of like bubbles) and that it requires additional spatial dimensions for it to work.

im probably wrong on it butyou know more about it then i would..

so this thing *since it starts with 2 atoms spining around the outside in the opposite direction* when powerd on fully it would spawn or Bubble out more atoms that would attract to each other to generate whatever it would need to do

I doubt it'll cause anything "catastrophic." I mean, in reality, it's not that big. Besides, we don't even know if it's gonna work or not. :p

I'm most likely wrong, though (like most of the:lol:).

It uses super magnets to accelerate atoms to super high speeds (more than just 2, you're just sending them on a collisional path in front of the detectors). You then attempt to use the detectors to measure the energies and amounts of particles formed by the collision. A bigger collider means faster speeds, bigger collisions, and we're hoping smashing the smallest bits we've found so far into even smaller bits (and hopefully finally find the base particle responsible for the force of gravity)

Essentially think of taking a glass ball and hitting it so hard it doesn't just shatter or even turn into dust, you hit it so hard that it breaks the chemical bonds that hold it together and leaves you with raw elements. ;)

Sigma-LS said:
It uses super magnets to accelerate atoms to super high speeds (more than just 2, you're just sending them on a collisional path in front of the detectors). You then attempt to use the detectors to measure the energies and amounts of particles formed by the collision. A bigger collider means faster speeds, bigger collisions, and we're hoping smashing the smallest bits we've found so far into even smaller bits (and hopefully finally find the base particle responsible for the force of gravity)
Essentially think of taking a glass ball and hitting it so hard it doesn't just shatter or even turn into dust, you hit it so hard that it breaks the chemical bonds that hold it together and leaves you with raw elements. ;)
I like that explanation. Makes me think of it as being less likely to kill us all. :eek:

so your basically using the atoms to create a controlled explosion but the explosion is down to the most solid core basic level because its such a powerful bang....thats actually pretty neat agreed with seno i think i would love to see a video of this thing running :D

redragon74 said:
so your basically using the atoms to create a controlled explosion but the explosion is down to the most solid core basic level because its such a powerful bang....thats actually pretty neat agreed with seno i think i would love to see a video of this thing running :D
Me too, lol. The people saying this thing will cause the world to go boom have no idea what it'll do. Sure it has the chance to, everything scientists do has a chance to, but as redragon said before, when it's powered on in August, it'll be basically test runs, therefore if anything goes wrong, it won't cause the earth to go boom, but I feel sorry for all the UK members... (jk)

Sigma-LS said:
Had a guy give a guest lecture on this at my University last semester. All I can say is Bosons FTW!
If the Large Hardron Collider (LDC) facility comes online this August and proves the existence of the Higgs boson, it will elevate the Standard Model to the same level of reverence we have for the theory of relativity and that's a big deal.

Sigma-LS said:
Yeah. That just explained String theory lol. I'm still trying to figure out what's so "Super" about it. :lol: Guess there's no difference after all.
Think of it this way: just before the start of the 20th century, the notion that all matter are made up of atoms was still considered a radical one then. That all matter is made up of oscillating strings is no different. Now that we know that atoms are made up of even smaller particles, they use the concept of strings to explain it.

As for the "super" part, it's actually "supersymmetric string theory." Supersymmetry is a concept based on the idea that each particle has its very own "supersymmetric counterpart" and their spins differ by 1/2. Because of this, the theory requires that spacetime has to have dimensions greater than 4. Last I heard, dimesions ranging from 11 to 24 have been proposed.

Hey Sigma, are you a physics major?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back