Rebostar's Ironman Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having one of those weekends where I just can't get motivated. :(

I really wanted to make some good progress today, which is highly unlikly now given the time.

I have cut the back off, which still needs a lot of shaping and sanding, the helmet now fits my head again, even when the back is clipped back in place.

Also I have started to scribe the lines, easy does it on this part a lot of good work can get undone if you get this wrong!.

I am going to try (yeah right,lol) and finish the jaw section off today as it needs a little build up for the back part of the jaw to look right.

Heres a few pictures of where I am at. Just ignore the colours, looks bad I know, I was experimenting then flattened them down again.

For the second picture I just placed a piece of card and clipped a single blue led inside and turned out the lights, not bad for one led!.

[attachment=14493:Blueled.jpg][attachment=14492:1Scribe.jpg]

to wear this with ease, it is better to make the back part retractable... the ear part serves as pivot.... or maybe not

anyway, very inspiring helmet....

You are definety setting the bar high on this! I am very encouraged seeing how well this is turning out. Keep up the amazing work.

As always, I absolutely love the work (running out of compliments, really). And I hope that I can put the same amount of effort into mine that you've put into yours. But I have a few questions that I would love to be answered first. Hopefully I can remember them all.

First off, when you resined and fiberglassed your helmet, which did you do first? (the resining or the fiberglassing) And was it done in two parts, the faceplate and the helmet, or together as a whole, later cut apart? Oh, and how did you hold the sepperate pieces together? wich tape or clips or what? Lastly, or the last that I can remember, did you shape the bottom hole for your head afterwards? What I mean is, getting your head, or mine atleast, through the bottom is difficult with the odd shape. Did you cut the hole differently? If so could you explain how or post a pic, or give advice.

Sorry about all the questions, I just like your piece so much, I figured you'd be the best to ask.

That looks flat out amazing. Great work. I was so inspired I printed up my own. Now I just have to figure out where the best place to start is.

Thanks again guys, please don't feel you have to comment. :) This thread is more for me to record the stages

on something i've built for once, I usually build something then wish I had taken a few pictures along the way.

I didn't need to resin as I over did it with the superglue, which made the model very solid, solid enough to take the glassing without deforming anyway.

I had a few pms on how I tackled the glassing so I will cut and past to save me typing it again. :)

The face mask was held in place with small bulldog clips, just do a Google image search if you are unsure what these are, this help keep everything in line. Just be careful that the resin and glass goes on but doesn't bridge the edge walls of the two parts, miss out the bits where the bulldog clips are and repair them later.

I then skimmed the helmet and mask (which was still in place) with bodyfiller back to front and sanded untill I was happy. I then got a craft knife and carefully scratched back and forth all the way round on the inside of the helmet, in between the the two edge walls of the mask and helmet, do this slowly and with not too much pressure. If you lean too hard on the knife as you break though to the outside of the helmet you will lift and chip the filler, so again just do it nice and slow. When the two part are separated just lightly sand all the edges and repair any little nicks and chips you have made.

The helmet will not fit once the back plate is attached, you will need to cut it off and hinge it after you have glassed.

It should fit then and you will be able to close the back as well, I need to get a few strong magnet so it stays closed.

I hope this helps. :)

Riggs McClane said:
That looks flat out amazing. Great work. I was so inspired I printed up my own. Now I just have to figure out where the best place to start is.

Thank you. Just build the main body first because, A) you'll know its going to fit you and B)It makes you want to build the face plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help so much! You wont believe how much that helps! hopefully, if I get my regular work done soon enough, I can get outside and resin and fiberglass now.

Well it's been a while, I haven't really had a chance to work on my build until this week.

I pepped fiberglassed and started to bodyfill the chest in the last few days, sadly I am back at work again tomorrow, just as I was getting in the zone aswell.

I'll post a couple of pictures in a minute you will see one half of the chest fillered and sanded, I haven't clean the groves on the side up 100% yet, the other side is still in the glass stage and the center needs a lot of work. I will never, ever, EVER glass the outside of a pep again!. It is an absolute pig of a job if you have an area built up with too much glass, hats off to those of you that can glass so smooth.

I haven't even touched the helmet since my last update. :(

[attachment=15951:Thenamesbond.jpg]

[attachment=15950:youlookingatme.jpg]

Rebostar! i've been wondering where you were with this build recently. I was following it very closely and im glad to see you're still at it. Your chest looks fantastic and your helmet looks flawless. Are those lenses in the eye sockets? Sad to hear that this project will be put on the side, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.. Work comes first!

Are you planning on doing the entire suit? It all looks great so far. Hope its not 3 months till the next update :)

Glad to see your back working on this build, so far looks great especially the helmet. Keep the updates coming when possible.

Naa, it won't be 3mths as the weather here has just started to pick up, the wife will be a weekend widow from now on though :).

I am aiming for the whole suit,fingers crossed and they are just sunglasses in place for now.

Just finished reading this topic and I love your progress. I too struggled with finding reference pictures for detailing so have had to use many different sources, from TMP's work to prototype sculpts and movie shots. I will be happy to provide in an email if you still need them.

I think a bust piece would be great, and interior faceplate detail would be cool.

Like here

Keep up the great work :) , I'm hoping to start my build now we finally have some decent weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I little update just to keep this thread breathing.

I had my 6'1" hippy of a son model for me.

[attachment=16679:Hippylad.jpg]

[attachment=16680:Tinman.jpg]

This next one looks bad, but I do a section then move on then do a final complete tidy up.

Woohoo nearly the weekend and good weather is forcast for the UK.

[attachment=16681:ugh.jpg]

nice! for those two curvy grooves next to the arc reactor hole, did you fill it in with body filler, and then scratch make new grooves? its so round! the grooves included in the pep are very polygonal, so good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back