Recon Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undead Kyle3

Hey guys

I want to Build a suit of spartan armor with the halo reach pre-order recon helmet, black visor, Jun's chest and left shoulder, Emile's right shoulder, TacPad, the Tactical soft case, and the first knees you can buy in Halo Reach (Ii think fj para is the name). If anybody could give me a couple words of advice, difficulty/price estimate, or places to go for supplies I would be most grateful.

If you are making the black visor and you want to see through it, you should do the helmet, then cut out the visor as a mold. Then you vacuum form the visor with a fiberglass plastic mold, you heat up in the oven and put it over the visor mold, then for the black part, just buy a can of night tint in a can, and put as much coats as you'd like. That's what I'm going to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pm9Zyd5LHQ

Hey Kyle!
Sounds like you've got yourself a plan!
As far a cost goes... That's kind of hard to answer. It all depends on how 'in depth' you plan on building. You could theoretically build a suite for a couple hundred bucks. but once you start down the road of undersuite, lights, fans, matching gloves, etc... it can get up there quite quick! So my advise it to make a plan of what you want and do some cost research. As far as help on what to do, read the stickys and read a few completed builds from start to finish! You will learn more doing that, than anything else! I promise :)
Good luck, will be watching :)

Uhh...
Just an fyi for ya there TheReconSpartan,
Last I checked, building a vac form visor, you first need to build a vac table, a box for the plexi mount, need a shopvac with AT LEAST 4hp if you want it to work properly, and lets not forget about the 30"x30"x1/8" (minimum sized) plexi sheet needed ($20 at least each)... Oh and lets not forget that you havent actually made a buck yet (which had better be flawless in design) and have not even touched on the tinting method that is needed which is more $$$...

oh yeah, also being that it would likely be your first time vac-forming and have never made a buck or vac formed anything before... Dont F*%& it up! Or its another $20 sheet of plexi for you!!! :(

Last I checked you can buy a tinted/mirrored/colored visor on ebay for $20... :$

Need I say more???

Buy a visor Kyle! Making a buck should be saved for mass production or if you cannot find something suitable that comes pre-made. No sence in making things that much more difficult. ;)

Cereal.

Thanks for the advice I'll put in my notes. Once i have around 100 to 150 I'll start gathering items to use. This will take a bit though as i currently am 13 but in the summer i should be getting a job so this project even though being my only one will most likely take a while.

Armor making is pretty expensive and time consuming, hell, it took me froever just to make the helmet. But with patience and a budget you should be fine. Pepakura files are easy to find for the helmet, and most wal-marts in New Jersey have very cheap bondo and resin. Just go to the help threads whenever you need help or pm me. I can direct you to my recon helmet page too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back