Recon H3 my first prop build ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT RIP OFF THAT PIECE IF ITS RESINED! I hate to say it, but the odds are it will take a hunk of the good bit of your helmet with it. I ruined the same helmet, same file doing something similar. Your best bet I think is to bondo it and then sand it down, that should leave it fairly sturdy, if it MUST come off, let it dry, then use a dremel disk to cut it off as neatly as you can. Anyone else agree?

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT RIP OFF THAT PIECE IF ITS RESINED! I hate to say it, but the odds are it will take a hunk of the good bit of your helmet with it. I ruined the same helmet, same file doing something similar. Your best bet I think is to bondo it and then sand it down, that should leave it fairly sturdy, if it MUST come off, let it dry, then use a dremel disk to cut it off as neatly as you can. Anyone else agree?

Ok I'll try my best. It started to spilt when I was sanding by hand. :/ so it was pretty weak I'll try another round and if it fails I'll clean it up nicely

Possible fix and some tips

Hey guys well a problem has come up and I knew it would happen but I thought I was going to be able to handle it but I don't thin I can. I peped the detail piece inthe top and taped it of a put resin ontthe outside but not inside so it's pretty weak. I'm debating on ripping it off cleaning off the area and making the detail piece out of basswood. Do u guys think it's a good idea? I mean right now when I was sanding the bondo on it it started to rip a part :( would really appreciate any adivce thanks

Drill a hole in a flat spot of the detail piece, just be careful not to drill into the helmet layer. Then mix up some resin and pour it into the hole until the detail piece is full. once the resin cures, use bondo to make the hole disappear.
Also, (and I learned this the hard way) with bondo, less is better. You don't want to cover your whole piece at once, instead work in small areas. Too much bondo covers up all the details that you painstakingly worked on in the pep stage to create, and then you have to sand forever to get them back. My advice is to start small. You can always add more bondo if you need it, but once you put too much on, you'll spend alot of tome sanding to get it nice again. When I bondo, I start shaping it with a small square of sixty grit sandpaper while it is still only semi-hard, kind of like cheese. The semi-hard bondo will get a fuzzy surface while sanding, and quickly clog your sandpaper, but it will save you a ton of time. Once it is fully cured, use a clean piece of 60 grit for your final rough shaping, then sand with 100, followed by 180 or 220 grit. You don't need to use anything finer until you start your finish coat of primer.

You may also want to check out this thread for adding details.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/19173-Using-Foamies-&-Bondo-For-Detailing

Good luck with your build!

Thanks Joey no I have been researching the bondo process for awhile and I did sections of my helmet one at a time to get to we're I am today. That being said I didn't use less lol
Thank for the help
Drill a hole in a flat spot of the detail piece, just be careful not to drill into the helmet layer. Then mix up some resin and pour it into the hole until the detail piece is full. once the resin cures, use bondo to make the hole disappear.
Also, (and I learned this the hard way) with bondo, less is better. You don't want to cover your whole piece at once, instead work in small areas. Too much bondo covers up all the details that you painstakingly worked on in the pep stage to create, and then you have to sand forever to get them back. My advice is to start small. You can always add more bondo if you need it, but once you put too much on, you'll spend alot of tome sanding to get it nice again. When I bondo, I start shaping it with a small square of sixty grit sandpaper while it is still only semi-hard, kind of like cheese. The semi-hard bondo will get a fuzzy surface while sanding, and quickly clog your sandpaper, but it will save you a ton of time. Once it is fully cured, use a clean piece of 60 grit for your final rough shaping, then sand with 100, followed by 180 or 220 grit. You don't need to use anything finer until you start your finish coat of primer.

You may also want to check out this thread for adding details.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/19173-Using-Foamies-&-Bondo-For-Detailing

Good luck with your build!

In case you haven't already removed the detail part at the top of the helmet, there's still hope for it. Rather than removing it, you could drill or cut a hole from INSIDE the helmet behind the detail piece, then pour in some rondo or resin, filling up the detail piece and making it solid. The detail piece looks fine where it is, removing it would be a mistake IMO.

ok so after 2 crazy weeks of school + zero time to sleep or even think about my helemt i finaly got a chance today to bust out the bondo and got to work.
image-2.jpg
[/IMG]

so this was my first EVER attempt with the rondo like all of u fellow memebers suggested and i was kind of scared when i poured it into the piece. i felt that if i held it up side down to much the seal around the opening would give out due to the weight of the rondo. however it seems that i didnt hold it up side down enough -_- typical

image-4.jpg
[/IMG]

these first two pics also give u guys a really good close up of the cracks i was talking about weeks ago

image-1.jpg
[/IMG]

but i didnt stop there, i began to bondo my helmet. i took this pic after a couple of minutes of using my new best friends ...
image-3.jpg

405th, meet two old and really bendable spatchulas. about the greatest tools in my arsenal now... when it comes to bondo-ing. lol hopefully tomorrow ill have a pic up after i sand away the gunk.

Thanks guys for the support always appreciated and welcome :D

I think this is looking really good! I've always wanted to make a recon helmet. Every time I look at someone making one it just really makes me want one!

For a first prop, it looks mighty fine! The pep was very clean, and from what I can make of the somewhat blurry (and bondo-covered) pictures, your sanding job is very good! Keep at it!

UPDATE TIME YAY...kinda small actualy lol

so if you guys saw my new thread i started, about a new idea for a visor, well here are the pics from some work i did yesterday and today....

396289_432697726791380_265526060_n.jpg

12785_432697703458049_1744220313_n.jpg

so i cut about roughly 100 or so hexagons(not all were perfect so i couldnt use all 100) heres a pic of how i started it out

29816_432697633458056_1617798520_n.jpg

so i have seen that peopl either scratch the visor like BLACKULA727 tut or they use frosting spray like nosaint. i was wondering which is more visualy appeling to people. also does anyone have a good idea how to get the tape 100 % completly removed in between the hexagons? i started to try and remove them and it has been takeing some time to do so

384355_432697593458060_14722441_n.jpg

on the left side i began to take out the (ill call it the center, b/c it is the center between 2 hexagons) center tape.

Thanks again everyone love the support, critiques, and comments! :) helps motivate and engergize the will to work hard

See you all next time!

yea i cut out almost 90 or so of them last night in about 3hrs and i was glueing...all...day...long lol i was using 1/16th in. basswood (a type of thicker balsa wood) and i superglued two narrow slices together to give me a consitent spacer that when used gives a 1/8in. gap between the hexagons.

Personally, I would have made then with straight lines (just toss the triangles that are left). That way you can use a rotary cutter to mow through it faster...

Definitely a good job, but a waist of a good BattleTech map board. :cool

Personally, I would have made then with straight lines (just toss the triangles that are left). That way you can use a rotary cutter to mow through it faster...

Definitely a good job, but a waist of a good BattleTech map board. :cool

lol well i didnt create the hex pattern image, i found it on the interweb. and i dont mind putting some labor into my helm (even if i scaled it wrong >_<) but hey it will be a nice shelf piece.

you could pick up a clay tool/ wood working tool, there are a few options that are rectangular with a beveled edge, my thoughts for removing the tape :p

i dont know how far you have gone, but you could always start over cutting the hexagons out of contact paper instead?

Ok visor update....not 100% perfect or pretty needs some fine tuning

248841_436891509705335_731088830_n.jpg

Still really transparent
542936_436891543038665_1086350585_n.jpg

75906_436891569705329_194173600_n.jpg

This next week I have off (thank the halo rings in the sky) however I get to enjoy oral surgery as I lose my permanent baby tooth yay the final stage to maturity. Any who hopefully ill get to get some good hours maybe days of work in to finally join these two together and sand my helm

15232_436891596371993_1367502352_n.jpg

Thanks fellow 405ers for the help! :D

Dear god, those renders one the first page... *me gusta*

My first armor attempt shall be the Halo 4 Recon helmet, after I have done something with this smg pep I'm putting together.

Anyways hello people, been lurking for a while now and I have decided to actually do something worthwhile :)

Good luck with your helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back