Recon's First ODST Build (Foam) WIP (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by HATE Recon, Nov 4, 2016.

1. eiros

eiros

Will you be using caulk to fill in the seams?

2. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

If I can get some, yeah. Otherwise I may just use hot glue. I'm doing this at college in my dorm room, so my options and resources are limited

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

UPDATE
    I attached the shoulder pads and gave the chest another coat of plastidip. I made a thigh pad, but it's way too big. Pictures below.
    5343c81c8c9495f322bf19e8f4236b2e.jpg f98fa2324935cae93f4909a0a82b37e6.jpg

Attached Files:

4. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

Any tips on how to secure the shoulder pads to my upper arm would be appriciated. I was thinking an elastic band of some sort

5. Mesh

Mesh

I have a Foam band that connects mine in, tight enough to stay in place, loose enough to not restrict ^.^

6. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I would not recommend hot glue as a filler. It is hard to get in to some places and will warp the seam in different directions if you try to smoothen it out. Caulk is very inexpensive and can be found in just about every hardware store. I would recommend the hand squeeze tubes as they run under $5 and you don't need one of those giant tubes that needs a gun to dispense. Just make sure you get the paintable flavor. If you get one for the sink/bath, they aren't going to work. They are waterproof and the paint will not stick.....

Now, as for attaching armor parts, you definitely want something that you can detach. Elastic is fine. Iv'e used it on the shoulder pads w/o a problem. Glue velcro on either side and on to the underside of each armor piece. You could also use nylon webbing straps. Any fabric store will carry this and the basic slide release buckle as well. I understand about being on a budget so you use what you can get. Ask your friends if any of them have old back packs they can donate to your suit. Plenty of webbing on those things and some even have the waist belt buckle.

7. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

Any tips on scaling the thigh? I'm 5'10". I'm using nightshades pep file, which defaults to 39cm tall, which turned out way too big. If anyone who is between 5'8" and 5'11" used this pep, what was your height?

8. eiros

eiros

Looking good so far! if they are based off the Halo 3 ODST, the thighs go down to the knees, I didn't make a kit I had the SB kit and that's how long they are and I'm 5'7. You can always scale them down to be more comfortable for you

9. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

10. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

So my whole post got deleted, I have an update. I'll post it soon with pictures, but basically I only have 7 pieces left to construct

11. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

So I just found out that the next Daytona Beach Comicon is being held at the ICI center on my university campus, so lucky me. I intend to have my costume done by then, considering how much I've gotten done in a month. Also, what the next step in painting after plastidip is applied?

12. StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Nice! A foam odst that isn't the DFT odst helmet! Looking great so far man, keep up the good work!

13. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

UPDATE
    As promised, here are current status pics of my build. Enjoy, and feel free to make suggestions and comments. This is officially, a photo dump. Also there is now a video of me dancing in my costume somewhere on the Internet. I haven't looked, but I bet it's out there somewhere.
    c9f68f14b90cdaa773c996e7aa151511.jpg 5f1000620c790e3f93e9ad7bf649af9a.jpg 0c8e4b82e2dcf0205130ab4ca5b67cc5.jpg 6d7559c499fbbcea16b63c77a0462f4d.jpg 78e7fa071e35c89f85786425bc09da70.jpg be5b080f208df4fe7e872627d540d65a.jpg 188b356381c36f718924d0283309569a.jpg 2f923b9e0f76e11f8cbe39d652eaec8f.jpg 9126fb82d21e46ccae1af801cc0f3c56.jpg e25c7330a30a6ce100bc7998fcbc1213.jpg 0d15a702c246addc0147931325841e93.jpg

Attached Files:

Thom A293 likes this.
  14. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

I will be filling the seams and hopefully painting it this week

15. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

I'm thinking of redoing the shoulders using kirrou's template, as they are more game accurate and they would probably cover my arm better. I will probably make them bigger too.

16. Schankerz

Schankerz

I very much approve of this photo dump, really awesome work! Do you have anything for the undersuit yet?

I did Kirrou's ODST shoulders too, here are some pictures if it helps at all, I definitely recommend scaling them fairly big it looks really good with that extra bulk.

image (24).jpeg image (27).jpeg image (29).jpeg image (31).jpeg

17. Mesh

Mesh

Looking good bud!
    Try not to double/triple post in future, keep as much as you can to one post ;)

18. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

Not yet. Planning on buying a black bdu

19. Harri51

Harri51

looks like your legs are more forgiving then mine was. I have to go back and really tailor them up or make new ones. But the DAP flex seal will really help smooth those gaps out and give you such a better looking armor once you dip it. Love the progress. Troopers FTW!!

20. StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Your stuff is looking really nice. Keep it up man, it's always cool to see more odsts being created!

21. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

Update
    One begun to create the first weapon. I'm building a m6c socom magnum using andrew DFT templates as a test. I will probably make some changes as I work on it. I've also plastidipped all my armor pieces with at least 3 coats, and they're ready for paint. Any tips on painting?

22. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

I'm going to start painting helmet. I tried out using the liquid plastidip and brushed it on. I got a much thicker coat that filled the gaps, and it looks smooth. My color scheme is going to be dark blue and black,and maybe red detail.

23. HATE Recon

HATE Recon New Member

UPDATE

Hey guys. I got a 3D printer recently, and I just had to print this. What do you guys think? ddcf76a7d82fe127aff4b048d616e253.jpg

Attached Files:

eiros likes this.
  24. StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Not bad at all! Once you clean it up, the gun will look great!

25. Thom A293

Thom A293

Nice pistol! Great job on the armor too. Really like the helmet you did. In a way, having it slightly small will look good since usually the helmets on Spartans and ODST's are slightly smaller.