Props Recruitment Booth Build (Pacific Regiment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm too much of a perfectionist! This is stupid. Why is this taking so loooong??? :cry:

Weapon rack came out square.
And holds weapons just fine.
20180827_174742.jpg 20180827_174810.jpg

Got pretty nervous after putting the infinity table together because it feels like 30-40 pounds! But, I tested it and the support system seems to hold fine.
20180827_200105.jpg

I'm gonna take a break from it tonight and I'll get the last few bits knocked out before painting (hopefully) Thursday.

Good progress! Is the inifinity table leveled as is? I assume that's pretty important for the right 'infinity' effect. The weapon rack looks amazing. I guess I need to start printing up some rifles to add to the group's collection. A BR is on my list. Then maybe a Carbine?

Dang I should have set a level on it. Thanks for the reminder Deaadshot

Level is not critical. I imagine we'll be using it to set helmets on which usually have a flat bottom. The light effect doesn't need to be level. It will look different depending on the angle you view it from.

Dang I should have set a level on it. Thanks for the reminder Deaadshot

Level is not critical. I imagine we'll be using it to set helmets on which usually have a flat bottom. The light effect doesn't need to be level. It will look different depending on the angle you view it from.

Gotcha. I'm happy to donate a few helmet stands to the both if you're comfortable that it can support the extra weight (~5 lbs each)

Gotcha. I'm happy to donate a few helmet stands to the both if you're comfortable that it can support the extra weight (~5 lbs each)
Oooooooo I do like your helmet stands... :love:

Yeah, it can support it. Probably no more than two though. That's surprisingly heavy, are they metal?

Oooooooo I do like your helmet stands... :love:

Yeah, it can support it. Probably no more than two though. That's surprisingly heavy, are they metal?

Yup, stainless steel and the base is weighted. Ideal for helmets so they don't tip over with several hundred dollars up on top. They're built from paper towel holders that hypothetically support one-handed paper towel grabs. I can't vouch for that aspect but I can vouch for the not tipping part!

A couple people have asked now if my table is level... the answer is No! I'm a terrible woodworker! :cry:
Here are the table supports side by side. The weapon rack is higher.
20180829_170018.jpg
I think I'm going to table saw 3/8" off the bottom of the rack and add those adjustable sliding table leg things (like a bolt with a smooth foot for a head)
This will also help keep the plywood good. Dragging plywood across carpet will surely rip up the veneer .

But, progress last night was great! Tower cap is done. Held all together by gravity and magnets.
20180829_171055.jpg 20180829_171114.jpg
I also managed to polish the aluminum table frame. I cut all the wonky angles of the keyboard tray. As well as install a dozen more magnets throughout the booth for added stability.
20180829_184900.jpg

And here's where we're at.
20180829_185836.jpg 20180829_204048.jpg

Things left to do.. (hopefully tonight)

Cut holes for weapon dividers
Cut and secure end caps for weapon dividers.
Cut off weapon rack bottom
Install adjustable under supports
Install clips to hang rack on box
Router spaces on keyboard tray
Install hooks for anti theft
Install magnets for tower cap sides

Putty EVERYTHING!
Primer

Last edited:
A couple people have asked now if my table is level... the answer is No! I'm a terrible woodworker! :cry:
Here are the table supports side by side. The weapon rack is higher.
View attachment 259301
I think I'm going to table saw 3/8" off the bottom of the rack and add those adjustable sliding table leg things (like a bolt with a smooth foot for a head)
This will also help keep the plywood good. Dragging plywood across carpet will surely rip up the veneer .

Don't beat yourself up. 3/8" won't even be noticeable! I'm curious if some metal brackets running the length of the infinity table would be a good add at some point to increase stability and weight capacity. Shaping up great! Nice *air quote* "SHORT" list of things left before the paint starts flying!!

Deaadshot Ha! You're generous. 3/8" would be to include the new 1/4" height added by the little metal legs for the rack. Right now the difference is more like 3/64" which yeah it's not really noticeable. People don't play marbles when they get bored anymore do they? :lol:

Thanks for the motivation. (y)

I'm freaking out guys! Just realized I only have two workable evenings to finish up this booth. Is that going to be enough time to paint??? Idk!

Last night was pops b-day so I didn't get as much progress as I'd like.

Main event was getting the weapon dividers.
20180830_210722.jpg 20180830_195355.jpg

Here's a picture of my semi decent scratch job.
20180830_210802.jpg

Tonight's agenda:
Router out space for electronics
Create new way to mount weapon rack (original way is too tight. I'll adjust the drawings to combinsate)
Hang business card holders
Putty
Primer

Just for fun.. my brother saw this driving last night:
4489.jpeg

Sorry everyone, you're just going to have to suffer through a couple more "almost done" posts. Especially considering that once I set it up tomorrow it will still be "almost done" considering all the things I've had to ditch to get the bulk of it done.

Primered!
2 cans was definitely not enough. I used 7 cans.
20180904_181533.jpg

Onto paint!
20180904_183609.jpg

I found an amazing deal on prewired LED strip. 78" long fir $5 comes with a remote to change color and is powered by USB.
received_653544138339684.jpeg 20180904_220130.jpg 20180904_221202.jpg
They're designed to go behind flat screen TVs so you'll find them near the TVs.

I needed 88" so I had to splice in 10".
20180904_221531.jpg 20180904_223509.jpg 20180904_224336.jpg

Success!
20180904_233822.jpg

Back on the farm...
I fiiiinally got the keyboard tray cut out. (I don't think I'll be able to paint it.)
20180905_172737.jpg

Little bit of paint. Took me an hour just to tape the lines for red.
20180905_194434.jpg

Lastly, started on the vinyl lettering for the cap.
20180905_195942.jpg

And we have touchdown.

20180907_131439.jpg 20180907_154149.jpg 20180907_154130.jpg 20180909_092853.jpg 20180909_174539.jpg

Rose City was a big success! Lots of interest. Even had a handful of people create accounts at the booth. I only brought 50 cards, probably should have brought 100. Special thanks to my roommate who was forced to promote the cause as I had to take care of things like reparking, feeding the meter, etc. Also thanks to Thom A293 and the Lungren's who manned the booth so we could walk the con and find pretty great merch.

Dude, awesome job!!!! Sorry for the delay but KUDOS to you and all who were part of this great project.......Now the big question.......where are you going to store this? It's not exactly a living-room furniture item........

Resurrection powers, behold!

Been working on this booth a lot this weekend. There were quite a few things I wanted to add. Once I get it set up at CoVaCon next weekend I'll be able to post some better pictures.

Some improvements:

-painted over dings and scratches
-finally clear coated so it doesn't get easily scratched.
-fixed the infinity table which never really worked that great and eventually crapped.
-fixed the nuts that hold the table to the booth (one broke off)
-added screws above infinity table that we can hang business card holders onto.
-added a 405th sticker to the weapon rack. Placement makes more sense when the dividers are up.

20190407_175106.jpg
20190407_163616.jpg

Update:

I've gone over the first post to make sure measurements and materials list were good since indigoD0g is looking to make another booth.
Everything is good. I made one small adjustment. The weapon rack was the same width as the storage box so once paint and decals were on it would not fit on the outside. I added 1/2" to the weapon rack width so it could hang on the box during storage.

I am not able to upload the CNC cut path. I had someone do it for me on the original one and there were errors that I don't have the knowledge to fix. You will need to get someone to take my cut list and make a CNC cut path for it. Keep in mind the direction of wood grain.

I'm going to update post#2 with how I assembled/made everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back