Reporting for duty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wartog

Hi, I've just registered after searching the web on how to make a helmet and armor. And since almost everything points to here, this must be the place to be.
I already saw some of your movies and it lookes quite interresting, can't wait to get started on my own piece of armor.

And just for the record : I've no experience what so ever, but I'm eager to learn it all.

See you around !

Heya Wartog, welcome. I have just started building a set of Halo 2 Marine Armour (I'm a complete noob too) I think that is a great place to start. You downloaded Pepakura yet?

Hope to see your progress in the future. Just got back from Dragon*Con where I meet some of the guys and gals from this forum. I have to say that they helped me out with ideas and tips to start my project. Also seeing finished armor motivated me even more.

Welcome to the 405th. Read up on the stickies in the Noob forum, they contain lots of info. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck with your project.

Thx everyone,

Yesterday I downloaded the Pepakure files and went to the shop after some white carton paper.
Today I'm gonna start printing the blueprints for the Reach Noble 6 helmet.

I'll keep you all posted !

Hi,

I just stumbeld upon a movie where I learned I have to scale the pepakura files first ! This probably means I will have to reprint all of the parts of the helmet again, after I scaled it. (Lukky me, that i haven't started cuttin' it out yet so I can use the back of the pages)

Can i do the scaling in Pepakura Viewer ? If yes, how can I do that ?
If no, that means I have to buy the Designer, right ?

Tia !

Scaling with the viewer works only in your printer dialog, i.e. you have to let your printer resize it. Don't do it that way - it's easier to download the Pepakura Designer and use that to scale the parts properly. You won't be able to save the changed file, but everything else works in the Demo.

Don't forget that you might mix up the front and back of the pages later on, so you should at least mark the old printout.

Yeah, basically what ventrue said.

In all honesty, I have learned that you really DON'T need pepakura viewer. Just get pepakura designer v3 and that program will allow you to do all that you need. However, if you don't pay for a password that allows you to purchase the license key ($30) then you won't be able to save your work. Like when you scale it to fit you or if you learn to do any unfolding, you will not be able to save any of the work you did.

Yeah, but you can circumvent that by not closing the program. Which leads you to not shutting down your computer - but that's why hibernation mode exists, right? :)

By the way, Wartog: I don't have too much experience with this yet, because I'm only like 10 hours further than you, but I can already tell you one thing: Doing a piece a second time will definitely result in better quality, because you will already know how all the parts fit together and - more importantly - where the tricky spots are. There will be a few, but probably not where you expect them. So, since the helmet will be a part that people look at a lot, you might want to just build the first one for practice. This might also give you some reference for scaling the second one correctly and you can even use it to try all the messy stuff on (resin, bondo, ...).

Thx for the intel guys.

I'll carry on as planned then , and use the prints that I already have.
You never know, with a little bit of luck, that it's a perfect fit after all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back