Resin On Paper Mache?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkusking

Is it possible that I could paper mache my armor and then put fiberglass resin? Will it mess up my armor or cause anything? Thanks. Please reply ASAP!

JSwift said:
resin will work over paper mache, yes. but wouldnt it be pretty rough looking?
Yes, it would be rough, but thats what the sanding and bondo is for.

Good luck, post up some pics when you're done with the resin. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hlomaster55 said:
Yes, it would be rough, but thats what the sanding and bondo is for.
Oh yeah I'm not trying to discourage it. I say go for it 100%
Trying new stuff is always fun

TrackerXNinjaX said:
Sorry guys about taking this long, please see first post.
My armor will commence and be my primary focus from now on.

JSwift said:
Oh yeah I'm not trying to discourage it. I say go for it 100%
Trying new stuff is always fun

I get what you're saying.;) im just pointing out some solutions. :p

Paper Mache tends to ruin the detail of the piece, so if you want to reinforce your piece just use Polyurethane Resin.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Paper Mache tends to ruin the detail of the piece, so if you want to reinforce your piece just use Polyurethane Resin.

Depends on which peice, on the Mrk VI helm, some paper mache on the top of the head would smooth it out faster than bondo and sanding, given that the paper mache work is smooth, which is possible, but you need a bit of skill to work that out hehe, cause the paper shouldn't be too wet cause it'll dry uneven , but not too dry that it won't take on the shape of the peice

S1l3nt V1p3r said:

Well said. I tried to paper Mache the first piece. It warped it bad and it started folding in on its self. If you have a way to reinforce it and only try a small section at a time it may work. Polyurethane Resin if a better choice but if you can get it to work it Paper Mache might be a good option for some younger members to use on there builds.

TNR_ABYSMAL said:
Well said. I tried to paper Mache the first piece. It warped it bad and it started folding in on its self. If you have a way to reinforce it and only try a small section at a time it may work. Polyurethane Resin if a better choice but if you can get it to work it Paper Mache might be a good option for some younger members to use on there builds.

well, using paper mache on ONLY a pep peice is a bad idea hehe, but when the pep is reinforced on the inside by maybe Frost's hot Glue method together with some cardboard, you'll have a pretty solid peice, then you can do the paper mache, then the resin, but damn that'd be heavy.

Now that I think of it, I don't think paper mache with resin is the way to go..?? But paper mache on armor can be done from scratch using those sturdy ridged cardboard, and it won't be that detailed hehe

Also, if you just want to use Paper Mache I suggest reinforcing it with Cardboard FIRST (On the inside), then Mache it. Or else it will most likely warp.

Why don't you just cut strips of matting, soak them in resin, and then "paper mache" the inside of the pep parts with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back