Resin Or Fiberglass First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uepari

I read all over the place how to fiberglass and resin, and it's all pretty much the same. Except for one key detail. Which to do first. Some say to resin first, some say to fiberglass first.

I'm building my suit for Halloween, and I'm about to start fiberglassing/resining, so I'm looking up all sorts of tuts on it.

Anyway, back to main point. Which is better to do first?

Sorry if this kind of thread isn't allowed, I haven't completely read all the rules yet. =P *runs off to do so*

It's a thing of preference. Try it out and you decide which works better.

You're lucky, I usually go tough on people who start these threads. I'm feeling generous today.

Resin to give the pep piece a sturdy structure then go ahead with glassing it.

Worked well for me.

Underdogg13 said:
It's a thing of preference. Try it out and you decide which works better.

You're lucky, I usually go tough on people who start these threads. I'm feeling generous today.

Heh, sorry. <=D I'm a newbie, but I (like to think I) learn quick

Anyway, I had planned to fiberglass first. I'll probably make a small, easy model of some sort and test both methods out...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really recomend resin first. Put at least 2 coats of resin on the outside, This will make it nice and sturdy and less likey to warp. Then once you resin, then go ahead and do your fiberglass on the inside.

If you fiberglass first, it's possible that your piece could warp and look all funny once it's hard. Once fiberglass is in place, it's kinda tough to change it's shape, then you will have wasted time and supplies.

So I say resin, then glass.

HaloGoddess said:
I really recomend resin first. Put at least 2 coats of resin on the outside, This will make it nice and sturdy and less likey to warp. Then once you resin, then go ahead and do your fiberglass on the inside.

If you fiberglass first, it's possible that your piece could warp and look all funny once it's hard. Once fiberglass is in place, it's kinda tough to change it's shape, then you will have wasted time and supplies.

Also, remember to add THIN coats of resin. Too much and you'll warp it resining.

HaloGoddess said:

Okay, I'll give it a shot...I'm new to Pepakura, so...

Underdogg13: Now, THAT tip I've heard of.

Should be getting a hold of the resin and fiberglass sometime this upcoming week...

Uepari said:
Okay, I'll give it a shot...I'm new to Pepakura, so...

@Underdogg13: Now, THAT tip I've heard of.

Should be getting a hold of the resin and fiberglass sometime this upcoming week...

Good luck.

I completely agree. you want the outside to have one to two coats of resin before fiberglassing the inside so your piece will be less likely to collapse in on itself because of the extra weight you'll be adding with the massive amount of resin and fiberglass you'll need to make it sturdy. you can look at my pictures on my profile if it helps give you an idea of how i did it. all my pieces were resined on the outside before anything els.

Uepari said:
I read all over the place how to fiberglass and resin, and it's all pretty much the same. Except for one key detail. Which to do first. Some say to resin first, some say to fiberglass first.

I'm building my suit for Halloween, and I'm about to start fiberglassing/resining, so I'm looking up all sorts of tuts on it.

Anyway, back to main point. Which is better to do first?

Sorry if this kind of thread isn't allowed, I haven't completely read all the rules yet. =P *runs off to do so*

simply resin first to give it structure then you fiberglass so it does not warp its pretty easy but like what underdog13 sayed you do what you think is write

remember : PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!

HaloGoddess said:

I have tried glass first, and it works, but my helm has some odd dents now, so I agree Uepari, both can work well, but if you do glass, make sure you don't overload, or your peice will get flaby... check out the fiberglass tutes and videos, they helped me alot with getting started

I also agree with resin on the outside first. One thing I learned is once the resin starts to gel, stop using it. I tried to be stingy and kept using it, and now I have a wavy surface on my armor, and resin is harder to sand than bondo.

Sithslayer78 said:
I'd say resin first so the fiberglass doesn't warp the hell out of your beautiful pepakura.

"Beautiful" isn't the word I'd use for mine...probably...passible. XP

Well i am currently working on a suit of armor and i have actually just finished fiberglassing. I did everything different from what everyone siad ironically not by choice, but by the flow. I had peped my peices with scotch tape on the inside and out side. If you do use tape you got to do both sides. Resign eats tape like a pack man from hell. So i fiberglasses the inside first for all my parts 1 layer with cloth. None of the peices warpped, but they did get filmisy. How ever they held true drying in a nice safe area. They came out hard and tough. I am now doing to apply the two out side coats one at a time of course :) then sand it down like a mad man and paint. Seems like a plan let me know what you guys think i dont got picks but i got vids.

Please try and post quick questions in the Have a Question? Don't bother with a thread post. It is actually best to Resin first thatn FiberGlass. The Resin hardens the outside pep detail. If you were to fiberglass first then there is a chance for it to make a piece of detail poof out which is not pretty and almost impossible to fix. So Resin first THEN Fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back