Resining The Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmiller

Jr Member
I resined the chest at 4:36 today, it is 7:03 and I checked about 5 minutes ago and the resin has mostly dried except in some spots. I also noticed one or two drips. I have to cut the chest in half and add the fiberglass on the inside.

Questions

1: How do I get rid of these drips?

2: Should I be worried about the non-drying spots?

3: I put a thin layer of Resin then fiberglass then Resin over it, right? (for on the inside)

4: How soon should I apply the Bondo Body filler?

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate this!

JackSkelling10 said:
I resined the chest at 4:36 today, it is 7:03 and I checked about 5 minutes ago and the resin has mostly dried except in some spots. I also noticed one or two drips. I have to cut the chest in half and add the fiberglass on the inside.

Questions

1: How do I get rid of these drips?

2: Should I be worried about the non-drying spots?

3: I put a thin layer of Resin then fiberglass then Resin over it, right? (for on the inside)

4: How soon should I apply the Bondo Body filler?

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate this!

1. sand

2. wait for it to fully cure, cure times can very given the weather... make sure you add the correct drops of hardner, you may have not added enough.

3. 2 coats of resin ouside, 2-3 layers of glass on the inside... how you apply the glass is up to you. you can dip the glass in resin then apply it, or you can paint on some resin then lay the glass and add more resin

4. read the stickied tut on how to bondo/detail... in short, primer (this helps locate low spots, and imperfections), bondo, sand... remember use bondo in small amounts. and repeat until it is a beautiful piece of art.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think just to be safe I'm gonna let it dry overnight

-EDIT-

Im just a little worried because in some spots, its still kinda tacky. I guess tomorrow after I do the inside coat of resin and fiberglass ill put the 2nd coat on. How long does the resining step usually take?

you are going to want to do your second outside coat, before glassing the inside... the 2 outer coats add enough strength to the piece while you glass the inside, so it keeps shape...

i hope it dries well.

You should wait 1 day in between the first and second layer of resin, and let the resin dry 1 day before you resin the fiberglass on the inside of the piece. ;)

I find that the "soak fiberglass in resin" method seems to use up a lot more than just painting the resin on, so if you're low on supplies that might be a factor for you.

ArcherShadow said:
I find that the "soak fiberglass in resin" method seems to use up a lot more than just painting the resin on, so if you're low on supplies that might be a factor for you.

You actually have to soak the fiberglass with resin to give it the right strength. But there is a difference between soaking it and bathing it in resin. And too little resin will weaken the fiberglass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back