Resining

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i resined my helmet today and it seemed to work ok but it still hasnt dried and it has been 5 hours! granted it is like 35 degrees over here i think that is effecting it but i am also worried that i did not add enough hardener. i did what it told me 12 drops per ounce and i mixed it pretty well. should i just wait over night and check tomorrow?

ok thanks! i also think i put too much resin on do i think that is playing a factor also. do i put a very thin layer? i just put enough on to cover everything and make sure that there was no paper showing.

Resin will set no matter what the thickness as long as you mix it well and add the hardner required. The temp will extend the drying time by at least 24 hrs at 35 degrees which could work in your favor in the future by giving you longer working times. Try setting it up in front of a heat source I use a small fan forced electric space heater with the helm in a plywood box and the heater just outside the opening where it can heat up the entire helm but still let air in and the fumes out, just use your head when you set it up you are dealing with a flammable substance.

Cheers!

by the way privateer i like your avatar, one of the best comedys of all time. i think i'll watch it now. yeah i dont have much wood but i do have an outdoor heater do i think i will but that to it and hopefully that will help. but i ave to keep it out of the garage because of the pilot light in the furnace.

Privateer said:
Resin will set no matter what the thickness as long as you mix it well and add the hardner required. The temp will extend the drying time by at least 24 hrs at 35 degrees which could work in your favor in the future by giving you longer working times. Try setting it up in front of a heat source I use a small fan forced electric space heater with the helm in a plywood box and the heater just outside the opening where it can heat up the entire helm but still let air in and the fumes out, just use your head when you set it up you are dealing with a flammable substance.

Cheers!

wait... so you are telling me that the colder it is the longer you have to work with the resin ? if this is correct, i am sooooo luck !! hahaha i live in the freak canadian maritimes, cold is what we do for fun ;) lol well in winter at least and i am sooo going to resin during the x-mas break outside in my garage next year hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
that is what i am going now. i was wondering why i did not have to work very fast!!! cool i can resin everything and take my time that will be sweet!!! ok i think i am going to resin the rest of my stuff tomorrow! FIBERGLASS NEXT WEEK!!!

LOL it extends the set time tremendusly but remember you are going to have wet resin dripping for a long time that will in turn soak into the paper alot more and soften it up so make shure you brace everything very well to keep it from warping, and you wont be able to move anything for at least a couple of hours if not more so resin them where you can leave em for a bit till they dry. I have done a fair amount of automotive bodywork in the past and glass/resin is very finicky about air temp and humidity. Bondo on the other hand dosent seem to be as particular about air temp but it absorbs moisture like it going out of style so warm your parts for a while before you prime them.

i did relize that the paper is getting saturated but my stuff is holding the shape which is good to find out! and when you say that fiberglass is not as strong does that mean is it not as strong while it is so cool out or it will always be weak until it completely dryes? i do have a heater where i am working so that should warm things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back