Respirators

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many times does this need to be said...?

don't cheap out on health. if you can't afford safety material you shouldn't be resining.

the fumes are dangerous and while you will only feel woozy at the moment, 20 years down the road you might develop a bad cough...
the $40 for the respirator is better than risking your health.

the fumes are dangerous and while you will only feel woozy at the moment, 20 years down the road you might develop a bad cough...

You mean cancer... 20 years down the road and you will get cancer.. Doesn't ANYONE read warning labels anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
wear the mask and put a damp shirt over it. The shirt can filter a good bit of icky stuff out of the air you breath.

And do be careful, Cancer isn't something to kid about.

joshua61991 said:
wear the mask and put a damp shirt over it. The shirt can filter a good bit of icky stuff out of the air you breath.

And do be careful, Cancer isn't something to kid about.
Very true. And like someone else said, it's not worth it to cheap out on your health. I'm sure you can get 20-30 bucks for a respirator. And if u can save up until you can.

Yeah, that was me who first started saying that. Thanks for reminding me.

Don't cheap out on protective equipment.... If the price doesn't kill you cancer will.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?act=Sear...e=%2BRespirator

The next person who advises ANYONE on these forums to wear a shirt over their face to filter toxic fumes out of the air that they are breathing is going to get smacked on the back of the head with a rolled up newspaper.

BAD DOG! WHAT DID YOU DO???

DO NOT USE RESIN IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO TAKE ADEQUATE SAFTEY MEASURES.

USE A RESPIRATOR!

Vexona said:
I agree. Resin is a dangerous carcinogen. I wouldn't even let my friends look at the pieces while they dried unless they put my mask on.

Go Joe! :p

Isn't pretty much everything a carcinogen nowadays though?

Like.. they say if you eat too many hot dogs it causes cancer. Not to mention cell phones... how long do you use your cell phone for on a daily basis?

Sean Bradley said:
I put a T-Shirt over my ear when I use mine :lol:

If you didn't get it wet first and use it outside Sean, that will never work.... :oops:

uh....well, me and my dad just resined about 5-6 parts today, we did it outside on our back porch so it was very well ventalated, my dad didn't wear the respirater because we were outside and such, and I just decided not to either, was that a bad call? I didn't feel dizzy whatsoever, neither did my dad, sure it smelled bad, but aside from that, I felt perfectly fine.

Btw, what type of respirater is good for fiber-glassing, we have ones, I forgot the number, but it says its good for fiber-glassing on the cover so..meh?

Personally, I use my issue gas mask, or any gas mask for that matter, if you don't want to buy a respirator for 35 bucks, just pick up some old Soviet PMG for like 12 dollars, get a new 40 mm NATO filter for it and you're set.

PillowFire said:
uh....well, me and my dad just resined about 5-6 parts today, we did it outside on our back porch so it was very well ventalated, my dad didn't wear the respirater because we were outside and such, and I just decided not to either, was that a bad call? I didn't feel dizzy whatsoever, neither did my dad, sure it smelled bad, but aside from that, I felt perfectly fine.

Btw, what type of respirater is good for fiber-glassing, we have ones, I forgot the number, but it says its good for fiber-glassing on the cover so..meh?
So let me get this straight. After all that's been said here, you had a respirator........but you didn't use it. o_O It's one thing if you don't have one (which is bad but still) but you had one and chose not to use it despite everything we've discussed here. Whew I'm feeling like my dad lol. Anyway yeah dude bad call.

Is there any way to get rid of the resin smell? after all my pieces are hard and dry, they still have a very strong resin smell.
is there any way to get rid of it?

Working without a respirator will harm you no way around it. Even outside it will harm you. Dont go cheap on your health. What if one day, god forbid, you are on a hospital bed with a huge lung tumor, your doctor comes in and tells you they have found a cure for cancer, and that it costs $20k. You then ask "Is there a cheaper route?" the doctor will laugh in your face and call you an idiot. The point isnt that the doctor will laugh at you but the fact that he practically offered you a way to get rid of something. The same goes for your health. A respirator offers you a way to avoid cancer, or damage to the nervous system. Trust me you dont want that! So I hope you make a smart decision and buy a respirator with Organic filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back