Possible Alternatives To Respirators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan137

I was looking around today for some gasmasks for Combine CP and STALKER cosplay, and I began to wonder.

Would a new Soviet-era gasmask work in place of a resin respirator?

As most of the masks I've seen that where issued to the Soviet basic and chemical infantry are NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical), I would think that the Chemical component would extend to resin fumes.

Am I right in thinking this?

Link to a rather good website that sells Soviet Gas Masks.

Maybe cheap, but completely obsolete and even unsafe.
Wanna be safe?
Go there.

I am personally use this $40 mask
2887419854_31e7c0f537.jpg

Thats what I was thinking.

The masks that the site sells are all brand new, and they are NBC rated, so I was speculating about this.

Now, certainly, I would never use this bugger:

http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/detail.php?product_id=154

That is only rated for nuclear fallout, and particulates only. Essentially a glorified dust mask.

But I've done a bit of research on some of the masks listed on your link (I was looking at this a while back when I still had a stroke of survivalism) and some are just as old if not older then these Soviet masks.

And to me, it looks like that mask is about as old if not older then some of the ones that the site sells.

But thats just what I know.

Just get a RESPIRATOR! This has been discussed too much already.
Of course you could get a gas mask, that's just one step forward from a Resp.

But the thing you linked is not safe, besides dont trust the soviet equipement, Soviets attacked us with an army of 5 million (that's more then our population) And they lost the war =/ PWNED!

-FSS

EDIT: If you read the product description for that, they are not allowed to be sold in to the US because of the US laws.
(Aka. They are not safe)

I'm not sure if your asking about what would look better on a costume.. or what would be safer..

Listen, your safety is important, if you want to try and reinvent the wheel using your life as a guinea pig, thats your deal, but no one here is going to recommend anything except tried, proven, and dependable respirators, because they don't want you to die as a result of their advice.

soviets did not lose the war, but we did make it hard for them.¨
Soviet masks are a pain to wear, unless your head is the size of an orange.
i prefer finnish masks, cheap, good to wear, and easy to get.

JustMe

A respirator will cost you about the same and definitely prolong your life. If you want the mask for cosplay, then go for it! There are possibilities for modding it. Definitely trust your lungs and health to the respirator (as you have decided).

A respirator cost 20-30 dollars, why pay 60 dollars for costume which doesnt function as a real respirator?

They actually all called Respirators. Just full face and half face.

Full face stuff (Gas Masks<--wtf) are overkill. They do the job and are quite good at it (protects your eyes too!) but they are usually priced above and beyond new. What you could do if you really want is pick up a surplus m40 mask with a new sealed filter. Shouldn't run you more than 50 bucks (egay)

I personally use an old respirator that I got back than and it does its job fabulously. It works especially wonderful in bright light situations. I use the sf10 made by Avon

Just remember and strictly keep in mind that expired filters are poisonious and will kill you.

And heres the one the combines were based off of:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Army-Officers...id=p3286.c0.m14

i actually use a 3M full face respirator. I actually bought it for use in my Photo-Etching class because we use Ferrochloric Acid to etch metal. If it etches metal, it will certainly etch your eyeballs if it gets splashed and since we use a spray etcher, it's a good idea! also, the fumes that come off of the acid can cause blindness, chemical pneumonia, and liver failure. All that being said, i need the $300 gas mask.

However, this is definitely overkill for use with bondo and fiberglass resin as my half face respirator ($60 at Home Depot) works just as well with keeping fumes at bay. The general rule about respirators is that if you can smell the fumes when the respirator is on, you're gonna need something much more heavy duty. Also, make sure that you have a good seal by covering up the filters and inhaling, if the mask gets sucked to your face, you have a good seal, if not, tighten the mask or get a different size.

Respirators will definitely save your ass and are well worth the buy! just ask Blackrose about how much of a good idea they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back