Revolutionary New Way To Finish Pep Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
just use the amount required for the resin that is in the mixture, times two.

and yeh dont use plastic cups, if u value ur workstation. paper cups with the wax coating are wonderful (the ones for like childrens birthdays)

Hey Tandhem, this sounds like a pretty promising idea. Thanks for the great tutorial. I have pepped a lot of ODST pieces, including my Rookie helmet, and I think I'll consider using this method.

I'd feel a lot more confident with the new method (I'm just scared I'd ruin the whole helmet) if you could possibly post a video of you using this method on a piece, showing how you a) mix the Rondo, which I'm kind of new to, :coolapply the Rondo and the matting to the Pep piece, and (possibly) c) a bit of sanding so we can see how it looks sanding through the paper layer. And explaining everything like you were talking to a four-year-old.

I know you already typed a big post, but some people (like me) just have to visually see it to understand it better. I'm mostly curious about mixing the Rondo.

Anyway, it looks like a great method and I can't wait to see the finished piece! Are you supposed to do a final outer coat of resin once you finish sanding, so the edges aren't papery, etc? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but it seems like it would make a nice smooth finish.

well for the papery thing, like i said the veeeery first thing you do before all rondo is apply a coat of resin to the outside.

as for the video, i dont have any pepped pieces but tomorrow i am going to rondo the inside of my already fiberglass mk VI helmet just to reinforce and make it smoother so i will include that in the video and i will show you place on my shin that i smoothed (sanded) all the way through to the rondo. its quite seamless you will see :)

Sad Face... i actually just started doing this today on an old weta ODST helm i had resined laying in the shop... and a buddy and i wanted to mix up some MUD (we havent used it before) and see what happened. So i thought "hey, lets see how well it works slush casting it in a helm" i need to do 1 or 2 more thin layers and add some glass like you did and then i can just sand and detail into it... from what i have seen so far i think its a great option for strengthening pep pieces.

great work man, you beat me to it, but you did a pretty good write up and had pics to show... A+ for thinking out of the box

This a great idea. I'm almost done pepping the cod. I think this will be a good test piece to try this method on.

That looks increddbile! However, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did. Are you pouring the mixture into the pep model and using it as an external mold and then removing the pep shell afterwards? If this is the case, then do you build the pep model with the tabs on the outside, and do you scale up the size of the pep model in order to compensate for the thickness and reduced diameter caused by the MUD? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused. Next time you do this, is there any chance you could video-doc the process and post it for us? I'd really love to produce parts for my armour that look that exquisite and sharp.

Edit: sorry, missed your post about the video. I hope it includes the whole process, though.

No not at all. it is just like a normal pep build, except you use rondo covered in fiberglass mat as opposed to feberglass+resin, thus you do not have to bondo. Im making a video tomorrow of how to mix the rondo- what you're looking at in terms of sanding- and ill give a hands on expllanation of the finished product.

Tandhem said:
No not at all. it is just like a normal pep build, except you use rondo covered in fiberglass mat as opposed to feberglass+resin, thus you do not have to bondo. Im making a video tomorrow of how to mix the rondo- what you're looking at in terms of sanding- and ill give a hands on expllanation of the finished product.

So the video will show how to apply the mixture to the pep? That's what I'm really confused about.

And thanks for the quick reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say nice job with the mudglassing but then id get another pm from you about being a troll, so.....

besides this whole troll hunt this is an interesting find

i mean its just annoying when people say stuff without saying anything. if u gave any sort of extra input it would be all good. it would what keeps this site alive.

and yes foxhop it will

If you say that this stuff can make my armor sexy, i'll try it!!!

Would this technique work on the inside of weapons?

-Pony

I'm actually quite impressed that you thought of doing something like this. Any chance we could get a mixture ratio for this new Rondo, or did you just use a bunch of different mixtures.

- Adulese

I'd have to say this is the first time I've seen a "new method" thread actually pan out to be awesome. I'm subscribed and can't wait to hear how this works out for other people.

I have no input because i haven't used fiberglass or bondo before but when i get to that point THIS is what im doing, great work and good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back