Revolutionary New Way To Finish Pep Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tandhem said:
but i know someone else would try to claim it. im sorry you guys kept it a secret, but is that what this forum is all about?

Woah, there. Newspartancreator never said that he or anyone else "claimed it", he just wanted to let it be known that this had been done before. Instead of taking it as having a hostile intention behind it, why not just take pride in the fact that they support the method that you also discovered.

As for keeping it a secret, did anyone ever ask? I'm sure those members of the "'good ol boys club'" would have been happy to share if anyone had posed the question: How did you go about hardening your pieces?

And Lord Farquaad, yes, this site is about doing things yourself. Maybe that includes coming up with these new ways of making things easier as well as actually using these ways. If everyone was spoon-fed every piece of information, there would be no more creativity, and the community would become stagnant. Sure, people would continue making armor, but there would be any progress on how to better their armor.

If you're still miffed about the "trade secrets", come up with some of your own. It can only make you better and more creative.

Last edited by a moderator:
not to sound hostile. NewSpartanCreater was just just saying good job on finding this out on your own. i have seen in other peoples WIP useing this method. i know that TimEcon made a vid on it. it was in his WIP so it dint get the publicity this thread is because it was just part of his WIP. i have also read in other peoples WIP threads using similar techniques to get work done fast. parts of the 15 day ODST challenge is beeing done with this method. NewSpartanCreater was just saying good job on making it more known for people that dont keep track of some of the WIP to see how people are making there stuff. im sure that not that many people have tried to use the same stuff that Rube uses instead of bondo. but its in his ODST WIP. hes not hiding it. its just in that annoying text that no one like to read.

take the comment how it was intended, and good job on the tut.

Savvy

Achille said:
As for keeping it a secret, did anyone ever ask? I'm sure those members of the "'good ol boys club'" would have been happy to share if anyone had posed the question: How did you go about hardening your pieces?

And Lord Farquaad, yes, this site is about doing things yourself. Maybe that includes coming up with these new ways of making things easier as well as actually using these ways. If everyone was spoon-fed every piece of information, there would be no more creativity, and the community would become stagnant. Sure, people would continue making armor, but there would be any progress on how to better their armor.

If you're still miffed about the "trade secrets", come up with some of your own. It can only make you better and more creative.

Hahaha So you haven't seen any of the dozens of threads on here where someone asks "So, how do you do.... 'insert any basic technique here' and are told without blinking "Read the stickies!" or are fed a link. Please. It's one thing to tell people to look it up themselves and read up, but when most everything on this site tells you to do something in a manner consistently different then this and when it's pointed out to say "All you had to do was ask!" when that is clearly not the case. Let's be realistic.

As for coming up with my own trade secrets.... yes, excellent idea. Let's ALL re-invent the wheel. This forum is supposed to be about sharing information. If you want to keep secrets and then pretend it's common knowledge, that's fine. As long as you realize it's pretending. But it's not a big deal. I'm not that worried about it. I'm here to learn.... Even if I have to rip the info from your skulls. I'm cool with that. :)

The reason it says "yes we're elitists" on the page is that some assholes that used to be part of the forum always called folks with molded armor Elitists because kids couldn't afford that kind of stuff and it put to shame all the original pep stuff before friendly files and smooth unfolds.

And if Dcon was any indication, the folks that used to say that haven't changed one iota.

On topic though. Many classic prop techniques are applied in different ways and the use of rondo is an old one that comes from the Star Wars and classic sci-fi end of things and car body building before that.

So at times a lot of the oldies are not listed here just because folks haven't gotten around to writing them up or updating the old stickies. There's nothing malicious about it. And a lot of the folks that go "OMG noob WREED DA STIKY" are usually new members themselves.Everybody does things differently. I don't do things even close to when I wrote a couple of the stickies a year or two ago but I haven't gotten around to writing many new things yet.

"I'm here to learn.... Even if I have to rip the info from your skulls."- BTW I love this qoute. Good deal man.

Lord Farquaad said:
I'm here to learn.... Even if I have to rip the info from your skulls.

i wonder what would happen if i said this to one of my college professors.

Savvy

I do agree that a lot of great information is tucked away deep in threads, hard to find. Even something as simple as locating pep files (such as the ODST CQB shoulder and comm pack) are things I get PMs about.

Unfortunately people don't seem to have the time to go through and reorganize/update the stickies. Lord knows I would if I had the time, and I'm sure mods such as Adam feel the same way. But, life comes first. That's why we have issues like a great fiberglass tutorial...that says to fiberglass the outside. :sleep . That's what I tell most people I meet about the 405th, it's a wealth of great information...but you're going to have to do a lot of digging to get the most out of it.

Anyways, it seems like everyone's said what they need to say. I just want to quote this, because it's awesome.

"I'm here to learn.... Even if I have to rip the info from your skulls."

If I post in a few weeks about getting kicked out of school, you'll know the reason why.

SavvyTank said:
i wonder what would happen if i said this to one of my college professors.

Savvy

My old Mammalogy professor would have laughed his ass off at the pun. My old English prof would have had me arrested.

Lol @ Savvytank. I just had a mental image of you banging your head on the keyboard.

AJP said:
so whats the method for applying this to the outside? using the paintbrush?

If you want to use Rondo on the outside of a model, you want to check out this link:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8253

However, keep in mind that if you apply it to the outside without reinforcing it first, you're liable to get a warped funky looking mess. Applying it to the outside is for detailing/smoothing purposes only, not for strengthening. Hope that helps.

Trooper0621 said:
Lol @ Savvytank. I just had a mental image of you banging your head on the keyboard.

If you want to use Rondo on the outside of a model, you want to check out this link:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8253

However, keep in mind that if you apply it to the outside without reinforcing it first, you're liable to get a warped funky looking mess. Applying it to the outside is for detailing/smoothing purposes only, not for strengthening. Hope that helps.

trooper, ether its too late for me or for you.

resin the out side and inside. fiberglass the inside. bondo as needed. or just watch the vid in the first post of this thread.

Savvy

Glad you all liked my take on learning. :) I'm certainly not one to hold a grudge. My teachers on the other hand...

@Tandhem -- Sorry for temp hijacking the thread to argue. I think the technique is brilliant and I think you did a good job presenting it.

Regardless of how common knowledge or old-school the technique may be, I'm glad I know about it now. Next suit should go smoother because fiberglassing and bondoing are a pain and anything that makes the process smoother is my friend.

Tandhem and Farquad, unfortunately typing out an explanation lacks the expression of actually speaking. So, with that, I wasn't try to to say that this was a big secret that we were trying to keep quiet, and by no means have you ruined anything. I was just trying to say, that it was a subject that is usually shared word of mouth or private message. And as I said you making a Tut on this technique was a great idea, and many of us a glad for it. Now, those of us who know, can direct those of us who don't to your tut (cuz you know we hate noobs, and hate sharing) that last part was a joke by the way... I myself have moved on past this technique and perfer, to sculpt, or carve, a piece. So this effects me in no way. The only concerns I have with this TUT, is FIRE, be very aware, a card stock piece filled with that much rondo mud, and activator can catch fire. And the out gas from so much at once can cause serve chemical burns to the face. So be safe work in well ventilated areas and don't keep sticking your face in the opening of the piece. But other than that, it's a great TUT, and it should be stickied.

hey a quick update before i get to glued to working on it. I just finished cutn out every thing for the helm and about to glue it to one big lump of joy now. id like to get some sleep tonight so it might not have it resined today however i expect to be ready to apply new learned method by Tuesday tops. And just for the sake of arguement the info on this site is awesome, and some times you have to read. . . alot to find a gold nugget, but regardless of who said what and when im just happy i found the info that i did. :D Thanks to all. - blue out 4 now.

I tried out your new method and had an awesomely epic failure... I normally use Cargroom products for my automotive work and pep. Cargroom Fiberglass Resin and Cargroom Premium Body Filler will not work with this method. The filler doesn't react with the liquid hardener and the cream harder makes the mix a little to thick.

On a high note I tried it again with Bondo products and it works awesome I just did a test to destruction on a ruined ODST forearm by bashing it against a rock wall. Believe it or not it took quite a while to break 20+ full strength hits. Having used a similar method using Resin Jelly I can say the yes the jelly is a little stronger but man, this flows much better in the "mold" not to mention sands easier.

One word of advice, cover the fiberglass mat with something. Use ether resin or more Bondo/Resin mix cause you really don't want to be sweating and covered in very fine fiberglass it itches... bad... trust me. To get the same feel get some material but it must be durable (read jean) and attach it with permanent spray adhesive or yet more Bondo or Resin.

Anyway you earned some mad props.

Lord Farquaad said:
Well, it does after all say right at the top of the screen "Yes, We're Elitists!" doesn't it? It really does seem counter-intuitive to have a site all about helping people to do this themselves and yet keep secrets about the best ways to do it. Kinda makes you wonder what other useless steps are involved in the taught process or what other 'trade secret' BS is reserved for the 'good ol boys club' doesn't it?

Well, I've been here since before this was even the 405th... I REALLY don't think secrets are kept here.

Awesome tutorial mate!

I've known about this for a while now, but I can totally agree. This stuff is VERY strong. Its easy to do, cheep, and highly effective. I dropped my ODST chest piece from the roof of my house onto a cement driveway, and not even a single crack. This is by far the strongest possible way to make armour with all the ease in the world.

although i can't use resin (due to the fact this country is too cold) i use Jessmonite and had a similar idea for me handplates and just brushed a few layers of it on the outside and inside to make sure it kept its shape then made a really thick mixture and poured it in and now i have solid handplates (they wont even crack after having a 6' tall 16st male jumping on them) but the only prob is cause i have decided to do it with the rest of my armour thanks to your tut, it's gonna be a bit on the heavy side, but hey no pain no gain.

thanks again for a great tut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back