Revolutionary New Way To Finish Pep Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unit450 said:
Hope you clear some confusion for me!

Walked into a Canadian Tire to pick up the materials for your method, and close to them noticed a canister of stuff called Bondo-Glass(in short or long strand fiberglass.) Is this stuff what your method makes, helping me avoid mixing the two parts in your tutorial? Just asking because while this method would GREATLY speed the work, I'd like to avoid the mixing part since I'm pretty bad at getting the mix ratios right...

What resin did you use for the exterior of the armor, or was it just the fiberglass resin in your video?

i just bought some bondo-glass. because im pretty sure that its the same stuff with added fiberglass strands i'd imagine.

but i will probably get started on using it tomorrow afternoon and i will let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just had an idea for the detail pieces for the back of the helmet and under the lip at the front, i was going to resin them separate so when the rest of the helmet has been glassed i can just add a bit of resin then add them on to give the bumped look like the images below

[attachment=12320:markvihelm_3_2.jpg][attachment=12319:gallery_3546_17_85562_2.jpg]

tell me what you think if bad or good

raven2751 said:
i just had an idea for the detail pieces for the back of the helmet and under the lip at the front, i was going to resin them separate so when the rest of the helmet has been glassed i can just add a bit of resin then add them on to give the bumped look like the images below

[attachment=12320:markvihelm_3_2.jpg][attachment=12319:gallery_3546_17_85562_2.jpg]

tell me what you think if bad or good

i was thinking the same thing when i was working on mine. you can probably do it to the visor part, it would be a lil

complicated on the back part because of the curves. what i did to get that effect, i just got some foam sheets in the

arts and crafts section at walmart(or any department/art store) and traced it than cut it out with an xacto. i mounted

it with hot glue, and it looks real good. i will try to find some pictures of it and i will post em up.

jeremyspace said:
i was thinking the same thing when i was working on mine. you can probably do it to the visor part, it would be a lil

complicated on the back part because of the curves. what i did to get that effect, i just got some foam sheets in the

arts and crafts section at walmart(or any department/art store) and traced it than cut it out with an xacto. i mounted

it with hot glue, and it looks real good. i will try to find some pictures of it and i will post em up.

I would love it if you could post some pics for the detail under the visor, I have been sweating it out trying to find the perfect combo of materials to give that look underneath.

i used bondo-glass for this and it works like a charm, you can use fiberglass mat or cloth on the main areas. like the hayabusa im working on, i just filled the horns with a lil bit mud glassing using bondo-glass and the horns are rock solid.

So I just starting using this method to start glassing my first ever Mark VI helmet by Robo and I had a few questions if anybody could answer? I have read thru this post several times over before I get shot down n00b style!

1) Someone mentioned paper cups w/wax lined like for kids parties would be good to use as containers for the mix, my question is once the stuff hardens and drys could I reuse the same cup and spoon/mixer or should I grab a whole new cup for another batch?

2) I am going to do about 3 layers of Mud Glass to ensure proper strength, when I am finished should I spray a coat of primer over the entire helmet? then start sanding? I have already resined the entire outside. I figured once I finished glassing then I can prime and sand out the imperfections, sand and bondo small details if necessary? Then paint process oh god!

Thanks a bunch 405th! I felt crippled when this site was down for a few days =/

Rob

I haven't begun to do any fiber glassing, but using twice the liquid hardener as the amount of resin needed. Would you run out of the catalyst before running out of resin, Or do they supply you with extra catalyst?

The recasting Jerk who started this thread has been banned. He not only recasted memebers props and sold them, but has been a long time member using several accounts. One such account was a veteran account where he on several occasions saw this technique used, and then claimed it useing his noob profiles. This was all a ploy to get folks to boost his ego! While the technique is good, and true, don't give this guy credit for something else he "stole"....

Is someone more excellent making a new version of this tutorial? I'm sick of linking to this thread, but it's the best resource for this method currently.

Okay, I am a complete noob and so far have only pepped an HD MKVI helmet model. This method seems pretty great, but I have a few questions.

1) Do I cover the outside and inside with resin first or can I just use the rondo right on the paper model?

2) I made the helmet, but left out the visor pieces, would I need to put those in to do this method?

3) If I do this method will the helmet warp? And if so, how do I prevent that from happening?

4) How much rondo would I need for just a helmet?

Thanks for any of the help you guys can give me!

Neoproks said:
Okay, I am a complete noob and so far have only pepped an HD MKVI helmet model. This method seems pretty great, but I have a few questions.

1) Do I cover the outside and inside with resin first or can I just use the rondo right on the paper model?

2) I made the helmet, but left out the visor pieces, would I need to put those in to do this method?

3) If I do this method will the helmet warp? And if so, how do I prevent that from happening?

4) How much rondo would I need for just a helmet?

Thanks for any of the help you guys can give me!

You should put in the visor, just for anti-warpage support. You should also put in support struts as well. Also, I'd recommend resining as it helps the model from warping a bit.

Underdogg13 said:
You should put in the visor, just for anti-warpage support. You should also put in support struts as well. Also, I'd recommend resining as it helps the model from warping a bit.

Ok thanks for the help. But, where would I find support struts?

8528_101678719851751_100000288694781_44942_2959662_s.jpg

i hope this works here some of those pics i mentioned sorry if there huge or if tyou cant c them

8528_101678723185084_100000288694781_44943_5365642_s.jpg

8528_101678726518417_100000288694781_44944_6882777_s.jpg

Trinityblue said:
8528_101678719851751_100000288694781_44942_2959662_s.jpg

i hope this works here some of those pics i mentioned sorry if there huge or if tyou cant c them

8528_101678723185084_100000288694781_44943_5365642_s.jpg

8528_101678726518417_100000288694781_44944_6882777_s.jpg

Maybe its me, but the Pics arnt showing :-(

Trinityblue said:
i cant even see em lets see it i can fix em

Looks like there's an extra "http//" in your image links. chop that out and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back