Revolutionary-Not To Mention Cheap-Visor(Odst)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3S TITAN

Ok People. This is my first post-EVER, so please excuse my self-acknowledged noobyness. First of all, I wanted to make an ODST Rookie Helmet for Halloween. I am currently still pepping it. I am on a very low budget, having to sell my extra xbox and a PS2 to get the bondo, resin, and fiberglass. I felt very depressed that I couldn't finish my ODST Helmet because I can't afford a Visor. Perfect poor man's solution-Blue Plastic Divider and Mesh Fabric!!! This is only about $5-10 for the visor. Makes a great substitute for a one-way motorcycle visor. All you do is put the mesh cloth on the inside of the visor. The divider goes on the outside. The entire mesh cloth acts as the one way visor, while the divider serves to hold the shape and appearance. The problem is...I can't seem to find a way to attach the visor to the helmet. Please Help me!!!

5N0WM4N said:
that sounds like it might work...what kinda plastic divider are you talking about?

The dividers that you would use in a binder for school. Avery Two Pocket Insertable Dividers Model Number-81824CN Barcode-072782818241

They are Semi-Clear, Visibility Distance- like 100 yds. With the mesh behind it, and light behind it, you cant see anything but the silouette of whats behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
djbattistella said:
check this link, this could be another cheap alt. that i have worked with and it may look better than the divider method you mentioned, only set you back about 10 bucks. you can also do a search in ebay and find some similar in grey or black...they are easily cut with a xacto or box cutter...just watch those fingers !!!

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/s...-novelty+sun+visors-_-plastic+visor&ms=search

TYVM!!!That seems like a great alternative...just put the mesh behind that and BAAM!!! insta-visor... GREAT TIP!@!@!

Adam Anderson said:
could you post a pic of a diagram of what you are trying to do, im having a hard time understanding what the mesh is for

Sorry, I don't have a working camera...sadly...but ill do my best with letters =P

Side Cross-section (|)=divider (I)=Mesh (O:)=Light source (M)= me

(O:) (|)(I) (M)

The light shining in can be seen by me, but the outsiders can't see me. The mesh uses the property of diffusion of light, meaning i can see because the light curves outward, but the people outside cant because the light curves.

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures

N3S TITAN said:
Sorry, I don't have a working camera...sadly...but ill do my best with letters =P

Side Cross-section (|)=divider (I)=Mesh (O:)=Light source (M)= me

(O:) (|)(I) (M)

The light shining in can be seen by me, but the outsiders can't see me. The mesh uses the property of diffusion of light, meaning i can see because the light curves outward, but the people outside cant because the light curves.

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures

I understand what you're saying here and it seems like an interesting idea. When I finally get around to making armor I may try this for an ODST visor because of the angular shape.

also, you can use 2 liter bottles and cut them out. my friend at school told me about tat, but like the day before my b-day where i was getting an actual visor, so i haven't tried that. it's worth a try though. good luck, and try to "come across" a camera so we can get some pics.

djbattistella said:
check this link, this could be another cheap alt. that i have worked with and it may look better than the divider method you mentioned, only set you back about 10 bucks. you can also do a search in ebay and find some similar in grey or black...they are easily cut with a xacto or box cutter...just watch those fingers !!!

http://www.orientalt...visor&ms=search

great find bud, but I look at those and wonder whos the jackass that made those visors? they dont protect you from the sun! It would just go through the visor, and why not call it the visor visor?

yeah, i was looking a few weeks ago before i got a job...Imagine that, being unemployed in such an amazing economy with a bachelors degree ! hahah, but now i bought a motorcycle shield so i scrapped the 3 failed attempts i tried with those "non-UVA/UVB protection" visors... HAHA, they are all the rage in japan and china...if you hit up a disney park you can spot the asians by there colored visors ! no joke ! hahaha, ill be posting pics of my H2 helm and suit when i get my camera back from the dang gf

Great idea although Stig did beat you to thinking about it. However I don't know what you meant by saying you cannot afford the prices the vets put out. Link might still be doing his run and they are under the 20 buck mark. Just saying that ODST visors have to be the cheapest to come by these days.

- Adulese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back