RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by RobotChicken, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Dude, that's some crazy detail just in pep. Looks incredible.

2. Dynamic1

Dynamic1 New Member

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Unbelievable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Minishdude1

Minishdude1

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

You definitely had some pristine folds on that helmet. Looks amazing my friend. Also the derby car was outta the park!

4. Spartan182

Spartan182 New Member

This file has single-handedly DESTROYED my will to pep. ever again..... It is ONLY because it is such an incredible model that I am making myself finish this. HAHAHA

5. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

So, not much progress lately. The helmet was twisting badly up the middle and I really didn't like how some of the edges were looking so I restarted it. I'm almost back to having the top half completed again, except this time it's straight and the edges look better because of the order in which I'm gluing the flaps. Another, bigger, cause for the delay in updates is my son advances to Boy Scouts on Monday so we've been working hard at meeting requirements for as many badges as we can since he won't be eligible for them after advancing. He started scouts late and has been earning badges over the course of weeks where other kids who've entered scouts earlier had years for earning badges. One of the good things about advancing is he'll be starting Boy Scouts at the right age and will be able to slow down to a normal pace for earning achievements. (One of the bad things is we had to camp out overnight a couple weeks ago and it ended up raining nearly the whole time - and the tent wasn't completely waterproof. He loved it, I was preferring to be home in warm dry clothes.)

Anyways, the main point of this post is to provide download links for reference photos. I occasionally see people here asking for good reference photos, and since getting a screen capture device I've got hundreds of close-up photos of Mk VI armor details which were used in making the models SirPalesAlot and I have been working on. I figured why not share so everybody can benefit from them. There are a lot of redundancies because I snap several photos of the same details from different angles and lighting reflections for getting a good sense of what the features look like, and I don't really have the time or interest to filter through them to upload only the best images. Besides, when it comes to reference photos, usually more is better. I didn't have the screen capture device when the forearm and upper-arm models were made, so the photo packs are currently only the helmet and hand plate. (I also have over 100 photos so far of the cod, the next model to be released, but since that model isn't finished yet there may be more photos taken as we progress on it.) Enjoy!

Helmet: http://www.4shared.com/zip/dMlRr63gba/HelmetPhotos.html 404 pics, 1 GB

Hand Plate: http://www.4shared.com/zip/rQwtsAchba/HandPlatePhotos.html 67 pics, 190 MB

hopkins77 likes this.
  6. hopkins77

hopkins77

Ya, I totally understand on the cold rainy bad camping trip, I like my warm house too much to be doing that. Good luck on the boy scout advancement and tell your son congratulations.

7. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Big news today in Boise, Idaho for us KISS fans!! 2016 KISS tour starts right here in this city July 7th!! We're so getting tickets when they go on sale next week!!

8. hopkins77

hopkins77

I KNOW, RIGHT!!! The wife and I are so going to be there!

9. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

I'm on the verge of a significant build decision for this project. It's been 3 years since starting on it and I didn't expect it to take this long. On one hand the time was well-spent because SirPalesAlot and I have created what I think are some really good Master Chief models. On the other hand, it takes a LOT of time to glue all the little flaps and that's a hands-on non-multi-tasking job eating up a ton of time that I'd rather be using on other things. Meanwhile, a 3D printer sits idle in the craft room. Lightbulb.... It takes less time to smooth out a Pepakura model than it takes to assemble it, resin it, glass it, and smooth it, and 3D printing is not a hands-on task - I can be doing other things while a model is printing. So, I decided to start small as I learn a little bit more about 3D printing and rebuilt the UD hand plate model to smooth out all the curves and turn it into a .stl file:

HandPlateSTL_zpstdg2hhnd.png

If it prints well then I will be seriously reconsidering 3D printed parts versus resined cardstock. This has nothing to do with the detail level of the pepped models - I've already proven they can be built and resined without any loss of detail. It's strictly a matter of time resources. I will post pictures after the hand plate is printed.

kaween likes this.
  10. SavedbyGraceG12

SavedbyGraceG12 Well-Known Member

Lol, I can pep the handplates and knuckles for my build. But I've really considered just getting them 3d printed. Heck my next suit of armor may just be Eva foam. I agree, it does take alot of time. Opportunity ever presents itself, I'll be getting me a printer also! Good luck, can't wait to see how it comes out!

11. kaween

kaween

Wow. That's quite a step and considering how you've been at it, taking such a decission can't be taken that lightly.
    But considering what kind of quality you've putting out there, anyone with just a slight interest in 3D printing will jump for joy.

But yeah, a lot of people will argue 3D printing takes out the joy of creating cosplay stuff and I understand that viewpoint.
    But I think it _shifts_ the joy to another kind (very carefully avoiding "level" here) of activity. And your productivity time goes up like crazy, as you do other stuff (not neceserally designing stuff but just everyday stuff which you would NOT do if you'd be pepping/resin-ing/glueing .... like actually getting some sleep or playing games with the kids or whatever) while the 3D printer is crunching out parts unattended.

Which is odd : differently than you, most people come that realisation first, and then go out and get a printer. :D

I for one can only applaude this, and I'm exited to see such a talented person going the direction which I think is the way to go.

PS : and playing advocate for the devil maybe : In light of the recent "search for a uniform quality" discussion for the 405th to be "taken more seriously" (not really sure I like the way this is going, because I'd really hate this place to turn into a second 501th), such a decission may very well be a part of the solution for a lot of people, not only for those who actually OWN a 3D printer.
    As all the more people get one of these machines, I could even propose a "free service for 405th'ers" who're looking for 3D printed stuff where the only thing they'd have to pay is the pure price of the filament and the transport costs of the pieces, accomodated by those of use who do have a 3D printer handy. That way, nobody is left out.
    I for one would have no problems printing out stuff for other 405th'ers if they'd ask for it if the 405th would see fit to get enought 3Dprinter owners to join in.

12. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Thanks guys. I haven't committed one way or the other yet. It took only a couple hours to convert the hand plate, but I expect models with more curves (like the helmet) would take more time. Yet, I do believe that time is still substantially less than pepping, resining, glassing, sanding, etc. Kids grow up only once and there are no re-dos, plus I have other projects that have been patiently waiting for me to get to. I will probably go the 3D printing route but still have a few things to learn how to do before printing the first part. At the moment I'm struggling with how to add supports. The Dremel software does not do this, so I've been exploring other options such as Meshmixer. I also discovered a few derped faces on the hand plate model that I need to go back and clean up. But alas, today is a yard work day again. :(

13. kaween

kaween

... "today is a yard work day again". I suppose you mean your OWN yard yes ?
    If so, I solved that years ago with the MIsses : "everything on that side of the border is grass and that's my problem, the other side is yours to take care off".
    Little did she know that after 15 years of cementing that rule, I could get away with a robot mower. :D :D :D

14. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

We have almost no grass. It's all Scotch Moss ground cover and an oriental garden. The misses is sanding and stripping furniture for refinishing (a deal she agreed to when buying it at a garage sale). I'd rather be in the garden than doing that. :)

15. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Got front row tickets today for me and my kid (wife doesn't want to go). Exciting!!

hopkins77 likes this.
  16. SavedbyGraceG12

So, I was wondering. Have you discontinued using the pumps for the Epoxamite Resin? The reason I'm asking is because I plan to stop using them. Pumps probably need to be cleaned out. Doesn't feel like the resin is having the same strength as used to when fully cured. I don't have any acetone to clean them. So I thought maybe I could do a mixed ratio by volume. Also, there is the option of getting the proper amounts by weight. But, I do not have a scale that I can use for weighing.

Is there a tutorial/video describing how to do this? I mean obviously they're always gonna be more volume for the resin and less with the hardener. Thanks in advance for any advice.

17. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

I haven't done any resin since last summer. When the pumps run dry I probably will not transfer them to the new jugs.

18. SavedbyGraceG12

Well I've noticed that recently that even though its curing properly, the parts that got resined aren't as rigid as previous parts. My only conclusion I can come to is that the hardener is not getting properly dispensed.(or not enough) I think I'm gonna take the pumps off tonight. I might sitll use them if I can clean them up. In the meantime I might just do a mixed ratio.

19. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

MadGrip has come out with a new glove that I think would look great with a Spartan hand plate on the back, and they're only $15.

http://madgriptech.com/shop/impact-thunderdome1/

Sadly, they don't come in small or extra-small, dang it. My kid tried on the medium size at a local store and they're too big. :cry

hopkins77 likes this.
  20. whatever

whatever New Member

Do you have the pepakura files for this?

21. Philthy Stache

Philthy Stache

Whatever, go to "file archive" tab under the site banner then follow the links for Halo 3. In the file archive you'll find quite the selection of files for many builds.

Here is the link to the Halo 3 page: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?categoryid=5

22. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Already, it's been pretty quiet here lately, but that's because out in the real world there have been a number of higher-priority projects requiring my time. Now that they're slowly dropping off I've got something to show you. With SirPalesAlot's help we've been able to produce a hand plate model that's good enough for printing. Here's how it looks in Meshmixer:

HandPlate15_zpsyfk7vuiq.png

I've come up with what I think is a pretty clever idea for printing this and the filament to test that out is due here before the weekend. I won't be uploading the model to the File Archive until after I've printed it, which might happen on the weekend but I need to get some work done on the cod model that I haven't been able to get to for a few weeks.

The next photos I post should be pretty cool....

23. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Hand plate is printing, within 18 hours I'll know whether I'm continuing with Pepakura or 3D printing the parts. So exciting......

Update: Printing is aborted due to bug or design flaw in Simplify3D slicing algorithm. Regardless of process settings, there are always 3 blank layers under the part causing it to droop instead of properly having the part physically touch the build platform, raft, or support structure. Waiting now for a response from their technical support.

screenshot.png

FlyinPhil and Dynamic1 like this.
  24. Bails

Bails

I am working on 3d printing your files myself. I had some issues printing the handplates in one piece, so I just split them in half and glued them back together. It's nice to have flat bottoms, no need for supports at all!

peterthethinker likes this.
  25. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Yes, I had that thought too, but I was opposed to splitting such a small model and having to glue the two halves back together. I successfully printed the hand plate as one piece last night - the trick was how the model is oriented and where supports are positioned. After reviewing the first good print (yeah, there was a not-so-good one prior) I tweaked the support placement a little for cleaning up some edges and another one is on the machine right now and looking perfect (so far anyways - damn, I probably just jinxed it). If the current print ends up looking better than yesterday's (I'll know in the morning - it's going to print through the night tonight) then I'll probably print another one before posting photos and uploading the model to the File Archive.