rubber armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhunt1996

So I was thinking. In the deliver hope trailer behind the scenes video. We see the kat armor getting tossed around without being torn or broken. What could this be made of? If you molded your armor. Is there a possibility to use something durable or that will go back into shape when you do summersaults and rolls. Things like that. Maybe like. The rubber that tires are made of. In the shape of your chest piece and every other armor part. Plus also providing the user to fall/be attacked. And having cushioning to land on and leaving his or her armor undamaged also. Creating the ability to do realistic rolls dodges and scenes when you are tossed around or killed in a fanfilm.

It's all explained in one of the extras for Forward Unto Dawn. The armour pieces themselves are 3D printed, smoothed, then have molds made of them. After that, casts are made using a liquid rubber mixture, similar in consistency to liquid EVA foam. This allows it to be both rigid and flexible at the same time.

In both cases, the armour was made by Legacy Effects. In fact, the extra in question is called "Birth of a SPARTAN", not to be confused with the Reach trailer of the same name.

If it were rubber, all I can think of is how hot it gets. Wouldn't silicone do the same thing, same result?

Could do, but silicone would sag if it was put under too much load.
If I were to do things differently, I'd paint the foam with liquid latex. It never comes off and has tons of flexibility when cured.
Little hard to work with though.

Any ideas where to get liquid rubber and what kind? Also How well could Eva Foam hold up against stunts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back