Rubies Master Chief Costume..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sniffles1

Jr Member
So, I know there is a lot of criticism when it comes to the rubies armor and I felt that it would be nice to post a little something about it. I have been in the proccess of creating my own pep armor but I came to the realization that it will take a lot longer than I anticipated. I really wanted to be the Chief for Halloween so I went out and bought the Rubies armor. Needless to say, I was a little suprised that it doesn't look completely terrible. Anyways, I have a picture so take a look. This pic is from when I tried it on. Notice I did not attach the front of the bicep piece and the sides of the belt. Feel free to ask questions. One complaint I have is the visor. I have a motorcycle visor that I am going to be replacing the crappy one with. Enjoy!
[attachment=6934:SP_A0271.jpg]

I agree, it doesn't look half bad. You could do a LOT worse.

Are you planning on modifying it at all? Maybe adding a bit here, trimming a bit here, etc? How's the helmet? I saw the helmet separately for about $100, thought it could be a nice side project. I know the visor would need to be changed for sure, as you mentioned.

I'm half tempted to get one of these just for the hell of it and see what all I can do.

I really can't fault anyone for wanting to try the things out. It is a complete costume to start, maybe not what everyone wants or likes or to the level you may want. It does give you some sense of completion I would imagine at least!

Oh thing I'd say is that you may not have the satisifaction of making it yourself, but if you like it then that's fine.

I do like the look of this rubies.

I buy that me too, and the only thing I have to say is the Helmet is a little bit oversized and the visor need to be replace and the scratch in front armor need to be repaint... but for the rest it's ok for me...

Mythstryke said:
I agree, it doesn't look half bad. You could do a LOT worse.

Are you planning on modifying it at all? Maybe adding a bit here, trimming a bit here, etc? How's the helmet? I saw the helmet separately for about $100, thought it could be a nice side project. I know the visor would need to be changed for sure, as you mentioned.

I'm half tempted to get one of these just for the hell of it and see what all I can do.

The helmet is actually great. The padding is nice, and it's very roomy. I might have to add a little more padding just because I'm a small guy. I do have plans on improving the suit. Unlike Adam's armor (and many others), the armor is directly attached to the undersuit by velcro. In order to keep pieces from slipping or moving, I might just add more velcro or a support belt (like Adam's). I'm gonna wait till after Halloween to do any major mods though. I still want to create my own armor, but this is a great alternative for now.
I did pay about $680 for everything, which included shipping. It was a steal compared to some of the other prices I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
accordign to the one i saw at sdcc this year, it needs a repaint. i woudl prime and repaint the whole thing. too damn glossy to be that battle damaged.

Break out the bondo, replace the helmet (or at least mod it and change the visor), repaint it, and you'll have a pretty sweet suit.
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing a well modified rubies Mjolnir, a lot of the modified rubies Vader's come out pretty sweet.

Mr_Sniffles1 said:
The armor is directly attached to the undersuit by velcro.

Thats how most of the Stormtroopers are done, right? So not much of a stretch, really. What are your thoughts on the undersuit. It doesn't look too bad, except for it being a little loose.

I don't have a problem with the "supreme edition", in fact, I rather like it :). However, I can't stand the basic version that has "printed jumpsuit" and doesn't even have any kind of armor on the back.

Could you post some different views and maybe some closeups? I think it's too glossy but does have potential.

Mythstryke said:
Thats how most of the Stormtroopers are done, right? So not much of a stretch, really. What are your thoughts on the undersuit. It doesn't look too bad, except for it being a little loose.
The undersuit is huge. That is a fact. The best thing about this undersuit is that it can be tailored. I will be getting the suit semi tailored so that it would fit me but not so much as to make me look like a skinny Chief.

As for sanding, bondo and paint, I know not what the future holds in store. I'm very open to suggestions, and I will post more pics as soon as possible.

Mr_Sniffles1 said:
The undersuit is huge. That is a fact. The best thing about this undersuit is that it can be tailored. I will be getting the suit semi tailored so that it would fit me but not so much as to make me look like a skinny Chief.

As for sanding, bondo and paint, I know not what the future holds in store. I'm very open to suggestions, and I will post more pics as soon as possible.

I might just have to buy that, I have just spent the last 20 mins, trying to un-smooth-cast my pants from my leg. That hurt....alot. I didnt notice the drip until I tried to stand up and and the pants grabbed. At the moment I have no interest in finishing my armor and will settle for my leg to quit stinging.

Evil Taylor said:
I might just have to buy that, I have just spent the last 20 mins, trying to un-smooth-cast my pants from my leg. That hurt....alot. I didnt notice the drip until I tried to stand up and and the pants grabbed. At the moment I have no interest in finishing my armor and will settle for my leg to quit stinging.

wow, go ahead, its cheaper to make your own armor. That armor is $800 in American dollars. Thats a lot more expensive than making your own armor. I just want the under skirt because i don't know where to get underskirts.

that doesn't look as bad as what it looks like on the website....the shoulders look like junk, and so does the chest, but it actually looks decent.

still, i dont think it would be worth the $700 they sell it for. What is it made out of? Cheap plastic, or sturdy stuff?

supersam1202 said:
HeYY
Can i ask Where did You get it from ?
and what countY ?
Looks good !

just go to Google shopping and type master chief costume, there will (like always) be like twelve of that costume, bu be careful, their old one is still there (its just a underskirt that looks like it, it sucks)

The gloss! It hurts my eyes! Like everyone else said, the shoulders and chest are terrible, but the rest looks...alright. I'd definitely repaint it and maybe add some pep pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back