Rubies Master Chief Costume..

Status
Not open for further replies.
rvb4life said:
that doesn't look as bad as what it looks like on the website....the shoulders look like junk, and so does the chest, but it actually looks decent.
still, i dont think it would be worth the $700 they sell it for. What is it made out of? Cheap plastic, or sturdy stuff?

Its EVA foam rubber from what I understand. I think and I maybe wrong its the same foam Adam makes his from the waist down...out of.

And 700.00 isnt bad considering I can dump 700.00 just in mold materials, casting agents and clay before i even get into the sand paper and paint and time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The costume itself is made out of a light, flexible and durable plastic. It's able to flex without breaking. I'm not sure of exactly what it's made out of though. I'll have pictures up tomorrow for you guys!

Spartan-343 said:
Hmm, not as bad as we thought it was. My only gripe is is how big the helmet is.
I agree that the helmet is a bit oversized, but if you consider that I'm only about 5'5", you'll see that the helmet is probably more to scale with somebody a bit taller than me

So here are the close up pics of the armor pieces. Sorry it took so long. Also, sory about the double post...
[attachment=7046:photo_6.jpg]
[attachment=7047:photo_5.jpg]
[attachment=7048:photo_7.jpg]
[attachment=7049:photo_8.jpg]
[attachment=7050:photo_9.jpg]
[attachment=7051:photo_10.jpg]
[attachment=7052:photo_11.jpg]
[attachment=7053:photo_12.jpg]
[attachment=7054:photo_13.jpg]

Aside from the weathering and everything else already mentioned, that actually looks pretty good. I'd probably repaint the whole suit or at least the helmet...it might be hard getting a paint color to match the MC Green that Rubies used though.

I agree that they did go a little bit overboard when they did the weathering on the armor. I do plan on making mods to the armor, and yes, I would like to repaint it. It looks almost to green... And please, keep the constructive criticism coming. I really want this armor to look nice.

Well I like it. It aint' perfect but its a darn good representation for rubies to be making. Their specialty is star wars, even though they bought most of their molds from Don Post. They did good on this one, but didn't make the ODST.

They kinda went overboard on the helmet's "weathering" I could have given a 4 year old a paint brush and he'd do a bit better job, in my opinion. For the helmet, it looks like they just too a brush with a little silve and did one stroke in tons of places.

Spawn Camp3r said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say that this is for the lazy people, not 405th-ers ;)
Just so you know, I've been a member with the 405th for over a year now. Take a look at my member number buddy. I didn't just hop on the badwagon with this. Unlike many on this site, I have a full time job, bills and a social life. I will finish my pep armor, but until then this is what I have.

Now that I got that off my chest.. The helmet paint really does look pretty funky. If I sand it down and repaint it, I'm going to have to repaint the entire armor set. Should I forget working the kinks out of this armor and continue to build my pep armor? (or make the rubies costume look nicer)

Instead of trashing it completely, why not look for ways to just improve it. Need a quick suit ? Buy it and start listing tutorials for modifications and the like for making it look better. Sure, it could be better, but, thats what we do here. We take cardstock and some elmers and several months later, we have a nice suit. .02

Ill probably end up buying one next year, and playing around with it. Would be nice to just have a suit to go and not get too worried if you mess it up.

i want it, but 2 problems: WAY too much money, and I'm 12 so its gonna a be a bit big if i buy it.

looks pretty legit to me. I agree with the rest of the people though that it needs a new paint job and a visor exchange. other than that it looks pretty badass for being a mass produced costume. I was gonna charge someone $400 to make one for them and some guy in the army said he'd pay me $15,000 to make a set that was bulletproof with a titanium skin over the top. easy money for me!

BFDesigns said:
looks pretty legit to me. I agree with the rest of the people though that it needs a new paint job and a visor exchange. other than that it looks pretty badass for being a mass produced costume. I was gonna charge someone $400 to make one for them and some guy in the army said he'd pay me $15,000 to make a set that was bulletproof with a titanium skin over the top. easy money for me!

HAHAHAHAHA!

it just needs a repaint perhaps. id say primer the whole thign and repaint the whole thing. shoudl take you maybe 2 hours.

Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the helmet looks too big for the rest of the suit, and the paint is pretty half-assed.

Best regards,
Mike

Mr_Sniffles1 said:
Just so you know, I've been a member with the 405th for over a year now. Take a look at my member number buddy. I didn't just hop on the badwagon with this. Unlike many on this site, I have a full time job, bills and a social life. I will finish my pep armor, but until then this is what I have.

Now that I got that off my chest.. The helmet paint really does look pretty funky. If I sand it down and repaint it, I'm going to have to repaint the entire armor set. Should I forget working the kinks out of this armor and continue to build my pep armor? (or make the rubies costume look nicer)

I'm with you man. I'm tired of the rest of the process. I think I'll just order up one of these and quit the rest of my project.

Just kidding.

I will be honest though, I'd been waiting to see something other than the promotional pics before I'd consider picking one up and it looks better than I expected. I'm liking the idea of using it as a base for modification. Where did you find it for $680?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back