Safety instructions! Read before fiberglassing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

I want to settle the safety for fiberglassing once and for all.

(Sean, Anyone? do you think this could be stickied for noobs since they are just going to come and ask again if they need a respirator This would avoid more posts asking on using a respirator (since there are so many).).

These are the safety equipment you need: Respirator (DUST MASK WILL NEVER DO!!!), Disposable gloves, Goggles.

And pretty pictures!:

Safety First:
Safety1st.jpg

Read the safety instructions with your fiberglass kit:
Important.jpg

Wear gloves:
Gloves.jpg

Wear a respirator and protective glasses:
Niosh.jpg

A SIMPLE DUST MASK WONT DO!!!
nimetn-1.jpg

NOT EVER!!!

(This tutorial was made since some people are being unbelievalably stupid and actually believe that you dont need anything for your own safety).
Also if someone tells you that you dont need a respirator, Dont believe them!

HORROR STORIES! (to those who still dont believe that safety is important)

My fathers friend sufficated of early death because he had not been wearing a respirator... he had been working on boats made out of fiberglass for many years.
eventually he went into a coma and died 2 months later, It was diagnosed that his brains nervous system was completely destroyed because of the deadly fumes.
Story by Finnish Spartan.

Today was a cold day, and when i wore my goggles with my respirator, my goggles fogged up. I elected to save myself of the fumes and only wear the respirator
I was finishing up the structural work of my helmet with some bondo spot putty. I was in the process of trying to smooth out a spot on my helmet that was sticking up, using my plastic spreader to push it back down to place while putting some putty onto it.
I slid the spreader off of the plastic leaving just the putty on it, hoping that the putty would secure it down. Before I knew it, the plastic had broke from the rest of the helmet, straightning itself out, and catapulting globs of putty directly into both of my eyes.
As you can imagine, Spot putty doesn't feel too good in your eyes, so i quickly rushed to the eye wash cursing everything from the brand, Bondo to all putty knifes
My eyes are fine now, but I quickly learned my lesson to
Always ALWAYS wear a respirator and goggles!!
Story by Zaso117.

ok i just resined my helmet a few mintues ago (with a papper filter resperator, safety goggles, and glove ) now my face is starting to pull a few muscels i hope i didnt get toxicated.

Story of BLoodxBrothers

ADD YOUR OWN STORY HERE!! just post it below and i will add it!

-Finnish

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thinking, some pople today are too cheap to purchase a respirator, then find out they are sick or dizzy.

AoBfrost said:
Good thinking, some pople today are too cheap to purchase a respirator, then find out they are sick or dizzy.

Thank's I wish i could save lives with this...

-Finnish

Falling_Jihad said:
someone should sticky this

I agree, I wonder why no one has ever even tought about that before, since everyone keeps asking this question.

Yeah, this is a good idea.

I concur with Finnish...

My wifes grandfather died because he
spent a winter in his garage re-fiberglassing
his boat without a respirator. He died a few
years later because the fumes scarred his
lungs so bad that they essentially turned to
leather and he couldn't inhale or exhale.

Also, in addition to a good respirator, it is a good
idea to have the air moving in your workspace. In
other words, fresh clean air coming in, and "bad" air
moving out. Too much concentration of fumes even if
you are using a respirator can be dangerous. I have done
it in a confined space before and never smelled a whiff of it.
But it was so concentrated, the tip of my tongue went numb!
Wierd stuff like that can happed if there is too much in the air.

Now, that being said
IF YOU TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS
you can fiberglass and be just fine! There are people who do this for
a living every day and are perfectly healthy. You just need to work smart!! ;)

imMonkeyGOD said:
Are those safety glasses safe enough?

Can't the resin fumes just go through them? (Like holes and such)

Yes, the safety glasses are good enough. Really they are to keep
the resin itself out of your eyes. If the fumes get too concentrated,
it will burn your eyes. Not like a flame burn, but like you an onion
burns your eyes. This is another good reason to keep a good air
flow in your work area. No concentrated fumes, no watery eyes!

If you are worried about getting resin in your eyes, you could
always use full goggles.

what if u use a respirator but not as fancy as those...erm..gasmasks....u know what im saying?
like that carpenter stuff, where they wear it, merely to keep out the sawdust? and glass too, cant forget that.
gloves i got, i just need confirmation to get a respirator but parents being oblivious to the internet is preventing me to do so.

MC PwN 3R said:
what if u use a respirator but not as fancy as those...erm..gasmasks....u know what im saying?
like that carpenter stuff, where they wear it, merely to keep out the sawdust? and glass too, cant forget that.
gloves i got, i just need confirmation to get a respirator but parents being oblivious to the internet is preventing me to do so.

A Gas mask (I assume you mean a gas mask not a white dust mask) should do even better then a respirator.

Sean, Anyone? do you think this could be stickied for noobs since they are just going to come and ask again if they need a respirator.
This would avoid more posts asking on using a respirator (since there are so many).

-FINNISH

MC PwN 3R said:

A regular dust mask won't work. (like carpenters wear)
Those are just to keep you from inhaling "large" pieces
of dust. You need a real respirator. Like the one shown
in Finnish's pictures. They are a kind of gas mask.
Full gas masks are made to keep out specific kinds of fumes etc.
Like poison gases. Fumes are much smaller particles
that can only be filtered out by special filters. A regular
dust mask will not block fumes. A good rule of thumb is,
if you can smell it, you have the wrong kind of respirator.

I'll be cleaning house and stickying things like this soon enough. I'd like to take these pics and combine them with the actual information about respirators that has been compiled here in various threads into an actual Respirator FAQ..

Sean Bradley said:
I'll be cleaning house and stickying things like this soon enough. I'd like to take these pics and combine them with the actual information about respirators that has been compiled here in various threads into an actual Respirator FAQ..

Good to know! I wish that everyone could be healthy.

-Finnish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back