Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the fast closing speed. In the movies it falls so fast you hear the metallic 'thunk' and some builds just close too slowly for that, but I think you got it just right. this build just keeps getting better! Keep it up Sandbagger!!

Thanks for the encouragement mate!

I've been working my dodgy electrical skills for a couple of days getting in these 180 Lumen LEDs behind some opaque perspex. Vision is limited, but I can still see what's in front of me.

The lights have kill switches inside the helmet, as well as contacts on the faceplate to cheek that activate the eyes once the faceplate is down.

Still having problems with the faceplate mechanism stripping the plastic gear on the servo though. I feel some superglue is needed....

I'm ready for the padding now.

bBD735M.jpg

ZD8f2oR.jpg

0S2R7Sf.jpg

eK9yE23.jpg

8exmIaS.jpg

How about a metal-geared servo?

HITEC stuff isn't that expensive and does a good job.

I had one with a plastic spline and it stripped. Yesterday I went into the hobby store and asked for one with metal gears. Seems I should have been specific and asked for one with a metal spline on the outside as well as the metal gears on the inside.... I got it home and it had a plastic spline... GRR.

Now I've stripped that I can't take it back. I'll try to Loctite it and see how it goes, then I'll be online for a new one with a metal spline.

You can buy the output gears / splines separately, but availability does depend on the servo brand.

If you check a good RC shop they should sell Futaba, Sanwa / Airtronics and HITEC gears. They might sell stuff from KO too.

You can buy the output gears / splines separately, but availability does depend on the servo brand.

If you check a good RC shop they should sell Futaba, Sanwa / Airtronics and HITEC gears. They might sell stuff from KO too.

Yeah I'll be looking into it when I have a couple of pennies to rub together....

Holy... those eyes look thousands of times better than the ones you used first, and the ones you used first looked really cool at the time too! How do you keep improving this!? How!?

Holy... those eyes look thousands of times better than the ones you used first, and the ones you used first looked really cool at the time too! How do you keep improving this!? How!?

Thanks man. Most of it is learning through mistakes. Error is the best teacher. ;)

Here's some bondo tips for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hay sandbagger, I'm sorry if I'm wrong for assuming, but your from Australia yeah? If so what resin did you use? And did it dry hard with out the fiberglass? I used repco fiberglass resin but it didnt set and ruined some pieces.

Hay sandbagger, I'm sorry if I'm wrong for assuming, but your from Australia yeah? If so what resin did you use? And did it dry hard with out the fiberglass? I used repco fiberglass resin but it didnt set and ruined some pieces.

Yes mate, Canberra.

Your catalyst ratio may have been too little. When I mix resin and car filler together, I use the red creamy catalyst for the filler, PLUS I also add the required amount of the clear liquid catalyst for the resin. Mix it all up together and it should harden beautifully.

1. For initial hardening, I just paint the inside and outside of the pep with normal fibreglass resin from Bunnings. I think the brand is Diggers. (comes with a small bottle of catalyst)
2. I then slush-cast inside each piece, using a mix of about 1/4 cup of Diggers fibreglass resin to 3/4 cup of Septone car-filler, looking for a honey-like consistency.
3. I then line the INSIDE with the woven fibreglass mat and the Diggers fibreglass resin.
4. Finally, I use straight Septone car-filler to build, shape, sand and detail the outside of the armour.

Thanks mate I mixed a another batch but it took about 8 hours to harden, is that about right? might look at adding even more catalyst, I've got a repco body filler for after so ill test that next time before applying it, I use repo because they have everything and we don't have a bunnings were i live, port pirie.

Thanks mate I mixed a another batch but it took about 8 hours to harden, is that about right? might look at adding even more catalyst, I've got a repco body filler for after so ill test that next time before applying it, I use repo because they have everything and we don't have a bunnings were i live, port pirie.

Are you talking about resin on it's own or car filler on it's own or the resin/filler mix?

It should go off in a matter of minutes, with full-cure in a couple of hours. If you try sanding before that, the surface can be a little rubbery-feeling and clog your sandpaper very quickly.

I did my helmet in 3 small batches of resin, they were all almost curing as i was applying them as I take my time with it. I could feel the consistency shift into a slightly thicker liquid as I was applying it. They were all sat by the next day.
Perhaps get a space heater and try to warm the helmet gently, this may help speed up the process as resin generally cures via evaporation, catalyzed by the exothermic reaction of adding the hardener. Heat may be your best friend in this situation.

As always Sandbagger, loving the build! You use a tile for the palate for your bondo? I've been racking my brains trying to cme up with something reusable for days for mine. I went through a few plastic containers, paper plates, and plastic cups, and my final thought was to get a cupcake tray at the dollar store. It'd be metal, so easier to clean, and also have 16 little sections for each batch so i don' have to clean in between sets. Just a crazy idea :p Keep up the awesome work.

I did my helmet in 3 small batches of resin, they were all almost curing as i was applying them as I take my time with it. I could feel the consistency shift into a slightly thicker liquid as I was applying it. They were all sat by the next day.
Perhaps get a space heater and try to warm the helmet gently, this may help speed up the process as resin generally cures via evaporation, catalyzed by the exothermic reaction of adding the hardener. Heat may be your best friend in this situation.

As always Sandbagger, loving the build! You use a tile for the palate for your bondo? I've been racking my brains trying to cme up with something reusable for days for mine. I went through a few plastic containers, paper plates, and plastic cups, and my final thought was to get a cupcake tray at the dollar store. It'd be metal, so easier to clean, and also have 16 little sections for each batch so i don' have to clean in between sets. Just a crazy idea :p Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Jayone. That's what it's all about mate! Sahring the skills and ideas. Good stuff.

I've been working on one of the shoulder bells this week.

1. First coat of filler to bulk it out.
I1cAdxz.jpg

2. Starting to shape and smooth as layers are applied and sanded.
1FpjGkv.jpg

3. Spray putty and a sand for the finer holes.
lnCgU0v.jpg

4. Primer filler and a sand in preparation for the final coats.
KeuQL4C.jpg

5. Undercoat of metallic gold.
wvX2vSw.jpg

6. Final coat of anodised red over the gold. Sweet!
UMwYcXR.jpg

Oh come on!!! How can this get any better!? Haha you're an inspiration to us all sir :] Really looking forward to seeing that chest piece completed too with the Arc reactor in it.

Hmm... I do think that in this case the shoulder could have done with a bit more fettling before you hit it with the top coat.

It still looks great though.

Oh come on!!! How can this get any better!? Haha you're an inspiration to us all sir :] Really looking forward to seeing that chest piece completed too with the Arc reactor in it.

I've been working on it today and hoping to start painting it tomorrow and fit the reactor.

Hmm... I do think that in this case the shoulder could have done with a bit more fettling before you hit it with the top coat.

It still looks great though.

What's fettling?

This build is fascinating to watch come together. Your skills at all the stages (pep through paint) as well as attention to detail really show through in your final product.

I'm just getting into the armor building game and this is one of the threads that I keep coming back to. Keep up the great work sir!

-Jester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back