Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one question left for the moment. Again, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious.

I was looking at one of your "walk test videos" where you tested the mobility and freedom of the feet/legs ect. (totally impressive how much freedom you seem to have there !)

Anyway, what I did notice is the suit SOUNDS like, with all due respect, a bag of loose bolts. :D
Now the way I see it, there's two sides to that coin :

1) the sound emphasisis the fact that this is a real steel deal. That alone would be reason enough to keep it like that, as there's no foam/fiber armor in the world that ever could hope to replicate that sound. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised the're pep/foam builders out there breaking their heads about how to create that effect with a non-metal armor.
2) on the other hand, You being an Iron Man fan, I suspect you'd agree Tony would be very worried if his suit would sound like that when walking as the movies have made us believe it's supposed to make a mixed "servo motor with added thumping" kind of sound.

I mean, if this would have been a replica armor from the times of the middleages or some beat-up terminator model, this would be a no-brainer.
With a high-tech Iron Man armor however ...

So are you going to keep the suits' current "soundscape" or would you do things to make the sound less dominant ?

I have since slipped washers in between all the joints. Much of the noise was generated by the two ankle flaps which were free-swinging and hitting the back of the heels. They will be spring loaded and padded on the inside, solving that issue. The rest of the suit will quieten down when the paint work is done and finally the padding all glued on the inside. Whatever is left I will be happy with.

A very generous person and a true giver who wishes to remain anonymous has kindly donated the rust-proofing.

Lt2MwDt.jpg

New geared motor for pulling the cables on the faceplate.

ksRogCh.jpg

Prototyping to get the cable travel distance right.

vT8gCTC.jpg

Installing a circulation fan in the chin to keep the optical units from fogging and give me a bit of air in the helmet.

d1PyWeQ.jpg

I listened to your interview, and you truly are a god among men. Once again I am impressed by this amazing build! Keep up the good work.

This stuff is AMAZING!

First I donned apron, rubber gloves and face shield, then cleaned with marine clean, hosed off, dried, brushed and soaked on the metal prep and watched the rust vanish right before my eyes. Hosed off and dried again, then applied the black rust protection.

Even though I brushed on a very thin coat, it seems to self-level and pull into a shiny smooth coat.

Second coat tomorrow and that will do it.

MEqUov3.jpg

0PGfKEq.jpg

ULpyD6z.jpg

22K0JFN.jpg

I can't get over the generosity and good souls of people. Two people this week have put their hand in their pocket to help me get this suit into the hospitals that little bit faster.

God bless you guys.

SB

A friendly piece of advice regarding that fan you're using to keep a cool head. It's just because I just finished modding my helmet with a fan-based cooling system.

It looks like an old VGA-cooler (TNT2/Geforce or something) with the heatspreader still attached). A couple of things come to mind if that's the case.

1) you've mounted the fan to force air away from your head (airflow goes IN the fan, and goes out through the coolerbody). That thermal design is made to cool the thing UNDERNEATH that coolerbody, not what's in front of it. :)

Do with this info as you will. You might not need it, but I did learn a thing or two about "keeping a helmet livable" these last couple of days.

I've mounted mine the other way round : the fans suck in cool air (they sit behind the rebreather tubes of the MK VI helmet) and gently blow this on my face. I experimented with several different fan setups and speeds and my testpilot (my daughter) instantly agreed this was the best solution.
When trying to "suck the heat away" like your fan is mounted, she commented "it didn't help a bloody bit".

While I do understand the iron man helmet does not have an exhaust/intake there, the pure fact your suit is metal turns it into one giant heatsink (unless you're planning to stick in out in the glaring sun at noon that is .... don't think that's good idea :) ) but that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if force-circulating the air at your face while circulating it from within the walls of your metal helmet will be a better solution even with the lack of air intake ports.

2) if that's indeed an old, salvaged GPU cooler than at that design and age, I'd suspect it is or it will be on the way out soon. Also, and this speculation from my side : the noise level of these kinds of GPU coolers ... let's just say silence was not the main priority, certainly not when running at 12V like spec'ed. Some of these coolers allow undervolting to approx 7V making them much more bearable in terms of noise production, but this of course puts a major handicap on the produced airflow.

3) based upon my personal experience, you might be better of with two fans running at a lower speed than one at higher speed. While the overall airflow won't be that different, the noise level sure will be. It's important to have as-silent-as-possible fans inside a helmet I think to keep in comfortable.

Any noise coming from the fans (slight inbalance, minor trembling by sleeve bearing on the way out ...) will be amplified a hunderd times inside the helmet even if you can't hear that when testing the fan outside the helmet.

I use 2 small 35x35mm fans (dirt cheap from Ebay - 5 of them for 6€ - I can dig up the link if needed) which make NO noise when you let them run freely on you table or whatever, yet when I mounted them in my helmet there's stil a clear buzz to be heared. And that using fans that are dead-silent, rated for 5V operation and undervoltaged to 4.5 for good measure.
My first trial was also with a salvaged AMD K7-cpu cooler : it felt like I was sitting in some kind of Tsunami-stricken disaster area. :)

But yes, having a fan inside makes a helmet far more comfortable and not just in terms of fogging. When done in the correct manner, it allows the wearer to keep the helmet on for a very long time without the usual problems.
I also experimented with a low cost air pump running at 12V, think it was meant for a fish tank, and that worked really well, but the hose that started under the chest armor and ran up to the top/inside of the helmet was a major pain in the neck. :)

A friendly piece of advice regarding that fan you're using to keep a cool head. It's just because I just finished modding my helmet with a fan-based cooling system.

It looks like an old VGA-cooler (TNT2/Geforce or something) with the heatspreader still attached). A couple of things come to mind if that's the case.

1) you've mounted the fan to force air away from your head (airflow goes IN the fan, and goes out through the coolerbody). That thermal design is made to cool the thing UNDERNEATH that coolerbody, not what's in front of it. :)

Do with this info as you will. You might not need it, but I did learn a thing or two about "keeping a helmet livable" these last couple of days.

I've mounted mine the other way round : the fans suck in cool air (they sit behind the rebreather tubes of the MK VI helmet) and gently blow this on my face. I experimented with several different fan setups and speeds and my testpilot (my daughter) instantly agreed this was the best solution.
When trying to "suck the heat away" like your fan is mounted, she commented "it didn't help a bloody bit".

While I do understand the iron man helmet does not have an exhaust/intake there, the pure fact your suit is metal turns it into one giant heatsink (unless you're planning to stick in out in the glaring sun at noon that is .... don't think that's good idea :) ) but that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if force-circulating the air at your face while circulating it from within the walls of your metal helmet will be a better solution even with the lack of air intake ports.

2) if that's indeed an old, salvaged GPU cooler than at that design and age, I'd suspect it is or it will be on the way out soon. Also, and this speculation from my side : the noise level of these kinds of GPU coolers ... let's just say silence was not the main priority, certainly not when running at 12V like spec'ed. Some of these coolers allow undervolting to approx 7V making them much more bearable in terms of noise production, but this of course puts a major handicap on the produced airflow.

3) based upon my personal experience, you might be better of with two fans running at a lower speed than one at higher speed. While the overall airflow won't be that different, the noise level sure will be. It's important to have as-silent-as-possible fans inside a helmet I think to keep in comfortable.

Any noise coming from the fans (slight inbalance, minor trembling by sleeve bearing on the way out ...) will be amplified a hunderd times inside the helmet even if you can't hear that when testing the fan outside the helmet.

I use 2 small 35x35mm fans (dirt cheap from Ebay - 5 of them for 6€ - I can dig up the link if needed) which make NO noise when you let them run freely on you table or whatever, yet when I mounted them in my helmet there's stil a clear buzz to be heared. And that using fans that are dead-silent, rated for 5V operation and undervoltaged to 4.5 for good measure.
My first trial was also with a salvaged AMD K7-cpu cooler : it felt like I was sitting in some kind of Tsunami-stricken disaster area. :)

But yes, having a fan inside makes a helmet far more comfortable and not just in terms of fogging. When done in the correct manner, it allows the wearer to keep the helmet on for a very long time without the usual problems.
I also experimented with a low cost air pump running at 12V, think it was meant for a fish tank, and that worked really well, but the hose that started under the chest armor and ran up to the top/inside of the helmet was a major pain in the neck. :)

You read my mind. I was only talking to my suppliers last night about finding a fan the same size with a, "blow through" profile as this one is designed to sit on the back of a chip's heat sink. (It's knackered anyway - the bearing is shot). The place I have it in the chin sits squarely over the hexagonal recess. I am going to cut the bottom out of that and replace it with some steel mesh I have salvaged from a car speaker. The mesh can be painted to match the helmet while providing an intake of fresh air. The placement in the picture was for illustrative purposes only and to get an idea of size. I haven't mounted anything there yet.

The helmet itself is going to be lined and fairly snug, so there is no room for fans anywhere else. The one in the chin is simply to give me a little circulation over my face to stop me feeling too queasy and also to de-fog the optic units.

Send me that link and I'll have a look. Sounds like those 35x35mm fans might do the trick.

Cheers!

SB

This is nothing shy of amazing... I've seen fabrication but this is amazing... beyond amazing
Must be pretty heavy, I probably would have tried aluminum but its a very soft metal

Thanks mate. I'm no tradie, but this is my testament to others to, "give it a go!"

You must have missed the part where I did try aluminium. Read back to just after the cardboard build.

Cheers!

Baz.

I'm in awe of this build, you are doing some amazing work. Not sure I have the guts to try a build like this.

Kat

fan suggestion :

h t t p://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-5PCS-DC5V-0-18A-Silent-35mm-Cooling-Fan-DC-Brushless-Motor-/221951439645?hash=item33ad56331d:g:KNMAAOSwbdpWVqgc

Those are the ones I used, very happy with them. I still have a couple to spare, so if interested just holler. :)

fan suggestion :

h t t p://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-5PCS-DC5V-0-18A-Silent-35mm-Cooling-Fan-DC-Brushless-Motor-/221951439645?hash=item33ad56331d:g:KNMAAOSwbdpWVqgc

Those are the ones I used, very happy with them. I still have a couple to spare, so if interested just holler. :)

That looks perfect. Thanks!

SB.

So I decided to throw in a bit of a Sandbagger feature. In order for the circulation fan to pull fresh air in and give my handsome dial a bit of a light breeze, I need an intake.

A good friend surrendered an old sub-woofer speaker cover that did the trick.

I thought I may as well try it in the eyes as well. Might look cool with the lights behind it.

HaNksdl.jpg

YBFI6ik.jpg

7aP9jVC.jpg

OLu7CoR.jpg

aqDtHD9.jpg

Very nice solution. Looks cool. Will feel cool too. :D
As for the eyes ... it will depend on the effect with lights on. If they're bright enough, it will look fab I'm sure.
What are you planning to use as eyes illumination ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back