Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very neat. Perhaps put some tinted plastic between the mouth opening and mirror (similar to sunglasses material) so:

1. People taking pictures of you with a flash don't end up with eyes showing in the mouth opening.
2. Light reflection on the mirror isn't as visible in the mouth opening.

Maybe use anti-fogging bathroom mirror material also so they're not as likely to fog up quickly.

Very neat. Perhaps put some tinted plastic between the mouth opening and mirror (similar to sunglasses material) so:

1. People taking pictures of you with a flash don't end up with eyes showing in the mouth opening.
2. Light reflection on the mirror isn't as visible in the mouth opening.

Maybe use anti-fogging bathroom mirror material also so they're not as likely to fog up quickly.

Some cool suggestions there to work on. Thanks.

SB

A couple other thoughts to toss out there. It looks like you might have gaps on the side of the helmet where cameras might be placed to use with your LCD screens for periphery vision. You wouldn't be focusing on them since they'd be off-centered inside the helmet but your eyes would detect nearby movements on the screens for you to be aware of movements on your sides outside your forward field of view. It would also be cool to use a rear-facing camera for seeing what's behind you, like a car's back-up camera. This could be on a screen above your eyes in the helmet (you look up with your eyes to view that screen, so again you're not always focusing on it) and then how cool would it be for somebody trying to sneak up behind you and instead you whirl around at them totally aware that they're there.

A couple other thoughts to toss out there. It looks like you might have gaps on the side of the helmet where cameras might be placed to use with your LCD screens for periphery vision. You wouldn't be focusing on them since they'd be off-centered inside the helmet but your eyes would detect nearby movements on the screens for you to be aware of movements on your sides outside your forward field of view. It would also be cool to use a rear-facing camera for seeing what's behind you, like a car's back-up camera. This could be on a screen above your eyes in the helmet (you look up with your eyes to view that screen, so again you're not always focusing on it) and then how cool would it be for somebody trying to sneak up behind you and instead you whirl around at them totally aware that they're there.

Could be worth experimenting with. Ta mate.

SB

This evening's work.

1. Making the hinges for the helmet face plate.Aluminium struts with steel pivots to weld inside the helmet.

gc57xO8.jpg

2. Hinge pivot gets welded into the end of the slot so the strut can swing up out of the helmet. Other end gets welded into the inside of the faceplate.

6SZYQfb.jpg

3. Hinges and struts welded in.

NC6SG9i.jpg

4. View showing the inside where the top hinge swing-arms (struts) are welded in.

ofshOx2.jpg

5. Top two swing-arms done. Two to do on the bottom - offset parallelogram style.

xSXVxrK.jpg

Impressive-looking welding work, mate. Are you intending to keep the hinges as simple as they are, for the sake of less hassle, or are you intending to motorize the struts?

Impressive-looking welding work, mate. Are you intending to keep the hinges as simple as they are, for the sake of less hassle, or are you intending to motorize the struts?

They'll be motorised as per my last helmet with a slightly different design.

Thanks mate.

SB

....I think I've never seen a build that's gotten me so excited. I am seriously so pumped seeing this build. This is AMAZING. Gosh, really blowing my mind on how far cosplay can go :)

Thanks Chrisy159 . I hope I can take cosplay as far as I dream.

Nicolojedison I let out a maniacal cackle every now and then to keep the neighbours guessing....

Did a bit of work with the boots this week. I haven't had much time.

I finished welding up all the joins and seams, added some bottom plates to glue on the tread. Cut away a part of the top so I can get my leather boots in. This piece will re-attach with some tabs and bolts later.

I cut some circles out of thick aluminium to bulk out the foot pivot. Later I have to cut some notches in them for movie-accuracy.

To raise the overall height of the suit, I will be welding in a false bottom in the heel about an inch above the bottom.

Tried them on and found them to be pretty comfortable and the foot rolls well. There's a slight pinch on the back of the Achilles tendon from the rigid steel, but I peined it out on a tow-ball so now it's got a rounded edge against the back of my foot. Little adjustments along the way and it will be fine.

xNC4TBi.jpg

9ZPPnXq.jpg

pEndQ97.jpg

I feel bad for the floor already :) but that build is a suit of armor, I mean damn man. That's crazyness.you gotta be an expert/wizard welder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back