Sanding Bondo is driving me mad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowing bomb

Jr Member
i spent so much time sanding any ideas for making it easier i thought i was almost finished but then my recon helmet broke, (long story short: my helmet was on top of a folded up ironing board and that fell over and it hit the door and the impact of the ironing bord caused a massive crack and a few missing pieces, after i covered that i'd had enough of sanding)
so yeah any ways to make it easier.
Thanks in advance.

I assume you're using a hand-held power sander (a "mouse" sander)? It does most of the sanding, but you still need to do a lot of sanding by hand to get a good finish. There's nothing really to make sanding easier other than having lots of elbow grease.

I assume you're using a hand-held power sander (a "mouse" sander)? It does most of the sanding, but you still need to do a lot of sanding by hand to get a good finish. There's nothing really to make sanding easier other than having lots of elbow grease.

Add itunes & setting down when sanding. Make it easy on your self. It helps.

Use rondo, it comes out a lot smoother initially and saves a BOATLOAD of time.

I spent as much time sanding my bondo'd helmet as I did on 2x biceps & 2x foreams + a helmet (Though it was a little rushed)

Also after some experimenting I've found if you mix up just a little bit in a cup (something that won't dissolve, or just work fast thats what I do ;)

Have nitrile gloves (latex will melt, and then your hands will. . .) and a respirator (safety, safety, safety) Anyways.
After the piece is glassed you dip your hand in the rondo (you'll want to work on a disposable surface. . .) and basically smear a thin layer on whatever piece you use, keep it even across the whole piece and use just a little bit at a time, too much will run everywhere. I coated BOTH forearms in 2 coats + a touch up.

Then you need very little sanding on the piece and the most work will be the "seams" of your piece where the rondo.

and I also use a respirator (or at least a dust mask) when sanding,
bondo dust = bad

This method has saved me HOURS of sanding, and the finished product turns out better (just be patient with the seams, don't be afraid to add some more mud in the cracks, and spend plenty of time working them down.)

Have fun mudslinging!

(also the main downside of this is that you will use more fiberglass resin (which is more moolah than bondo) but the time saved makes it more than worth it IMO)

Sadly i dont have a power sander and i have had to do it by hand, im not a very good fan on rondo, i've tried it numerous time and i just dont get on with it.
The helmet im doing is meant to help raise money for the rest of my armour and i will buy one then. I'm not sure what to do until then

Sadly i dont have a power sander and i have had to do it by hand, im not a very good fan on rondo, i've tried it numerous time and i just dont get on with it.
The helmet im doing is meant to help raise money for the rest of my armour and i will buy one then. I'm not sure what to do until then

There's your problem. Get a cheapy mouse sander and go to town. My $20 mouse sander has lasted me through 2 suits. It will help a lot.

Also, use Rondo to shape. Mix it up a little on the thick side, and use 1" paint brushed to paint it on. Do 3-4 thin layers, then start sanding.

Get a cheapy mouse sander and go to town. My $20 mouse sander has lasted me through 2 suits. It will help a lot.

How the f**k did yours last 2 suits?! Mine lasted trough 1/2 helmet! My sanding paper "holding mat" or what ever it's called came loose the first 5 mins I used itXD I have made the same pep file 5 times since I gave up on the bondo prosses:p Now I use "home spakel" which is used to fix up holes walls in houses. Less toxic, less sanding but more likely to break:p

FYI, the Regular Black & Decker Mouse sander is junk. The posts that hold the sanding pad on break. I upgraded to the Black & Decker Smart Select. It's $20 more, but well worth it. It has rubber posts/Shock absorber looking things that attach to the sanding pad. I purposely tried to break the floor models post to see if it was strong. It was. It may be a little more expensive, but its def worth it. Good luck!

How the f**k did yours last 2 suits?! Mine lasted trough 1/2 helmet! My sanding paper "holding mat" or what ever it's called came loose the first 5 mins I used itXD I have made the same pep file 5 times since I gave up on the bondo prosses:p Now I use "home spakel" which is used to fix up holes walls in houses. Less toxic, less sanding but more likely to break:p

have you tried coating a small layer of bondo spot putty so the gypsum in the spackel absorbs and hardens into a tougher material? or is the spakel not gypsum when it dries?

Well. . . I'd still reccommend it, (I love the stuff) the more bondo in the mix the thicker, it makes it easier to work with and is cheaper. I use about a 70/30 mix. Also you can use either or catalyst so you have very little waste (though the bondo catalyst makes it setup quicker, you have a LOT less time to work with it. . .)

You use your hand? I was brushing it on but shoot that could be fun I guess xD

Yeah, just make sure to use protection XD You might even want to get some sleeve gloves, the stuff is nasty when it comes in contact with skin!

Stay safe,

Omega

i dont even use bondo any more spot puddy is much cheaper and esier to use
i spent so much time sanding any ideas for making it easier i thought i was almost finished but then my recon helmet broke, (long story short: my helmet was on top of a folded up ironing board and that fell over and it hit the door and the impact of the ironing bord caused a massive crack and a few missing pieces, after i covered that i'd had enough of sanding)
so yeah any ways to make it easier.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back