Scaling certain body pieces in pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderboy196

I been working on my spartan build for 4 months now and hit a setback: scaling specifically, the thighs. How does one know if the scaling is too big or too small? And how can one get it to close as just about right? This is just a struggle for my 5'8 short self

to be honest with you when i did pepakura i would messure the part of my body the leg from the top of the ankel bone to the middle of my knee ( mine 16" ) then converted it to mm which was 406.4 and then went in and looked at the model and see which axis was showing the model messurement from the ankel to the knee and changed that one. then i would print it out on plain paper and build it to see if it is close enough if not i would make it 408 or 410.4 and try again it can be a pain in the butt. if you want this to look awesome thats the best way i know. again this is not pepakura law its just what i found to work for me.. i hope this helps you buddy ...

to be honest with you when i did pepakura i would messure the part of my body the leg from the top of the ankel bone to the middle of my knee ( mine 16" ) then converted it to mm which was 406.4 and then went in and looked at the model and see which axis was showing the model messurement from the ankel to the knee and changed that one. then i would print it out on plain paper and build it to see if it is close enough if not i would make it 408 or 410.4 and try again it can be a pain in the butt. if you want this to look awesome thats the best way i know. again this is not pepakura law its just what i found to work for me.. i hope this helps you buddy ...
Oh that helps plenty. Ty

Also remember that it scales your piece in all 3 directions (H,W,L). It may be correct in 1 aspect, but a little fat or a little long in others. But you can always mod your paper templates before you set them to foam. That's how I scratch build a lot of pieces

abo
Also remember that it scales your piece in all 3 directions (H,W,L). It may be correct in 1 aspect, but a little fat or a little long in others. But you can always mod your paper templates before you set them to foam. That's how I scratch build a lot of pieces
absolutley right i forgot that part thanks it will help him a lot....

You could also print out regular paper templates and assemble that and try it on to see if it is even in the ballpark to the correct size. You wouldn't even need to do a lot of the finer details....just the basic shape will do.

This uses more than just pep, but another way to somewhat scale things is to use a picture of yourself as straight on as possible from both front and side, maybe back or more sides as well, ideally in the same pose, and put those on image emptys in blender. You can then position and scale those to each other like they were taken. Then, you can scale the parts to those pictures and check if they might overlap with you using plane cuts on different axis. Once you're happy with the scale, you can use the ruler tool (CTRL to snap to verticies) and some measurement on the same body part and calculate the scale for your parts. I'd recommend to this whole process again with new pictures and ideally the other armor parts in those for different parts as the pictures aren't orthogonal and the scale might be off a bit more. This is basically poor mans armorsmith if you don't have a 3D model of yourself. I'd recommend to give yourself enough room so you don't make your things too small, as this isn't the most accurate method. One downside is that you need the model in a format that blender can read, so you either need the paid version of pepakura or someone who can convert it for you. If you have neither of those, armorsmith is cheaper than pepakura.

You could also print out regular paper templates and assemble that and try it on to see if it is even in the ballpark to the correct size. You wouldn't even need to do a lot of the finer details....just the basic shape will do.
oh that what i do before i print out everything. i take the entrance and exit pieces then print just them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back