Schankerz' First Halo Reach Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small update for today, I purchased some punches and a combat vest for my build at a local army surplus store. I got super lucky and I found three identical pouches that are the perfect size.
IMG_2667.JPG
The combat vest was also a perfect fit, I tried it with the chestpiece and it looked really great, next time I try it all on again I'll edit the picture into this post.
IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2669.JPG

ah!!! that vest is gonna be perfect! are you going to dye the pouches black? I think it would really look nice, plus it would be another skill to learn.;) now, I guess my next build is going to be something customized, and semi-tactical. but not in the same way as yours. Oh gosh! thanks for these great Ideas, Schankz!

Love the pouches man, cant wait to see those on the chest! What is your plan to attach the chest piece to the vest? When I do get to this part, I was thinking of getting a chest harness that the back of the chest would be attached to, then the front would magnetize onto the back. Are you thinking of doing something like that?

ah!!! that vest is gonna be perfect! are you going to dye the pouches black? I think it would really look nice, plus it would be another skill to learn.;) now, I guess my next build is going to be something customized, and semi-tactical. but not in the same way as yours. Oh gosh! thanks for these great Ideas, Schankz!

Yes I'd like to dye them black, it is a new skill I haven't learned yet so here's to hoping I can figure that out!

Love the pouches man, cant wait to see those on the chest! What is your plan to attach the chest piece to the vest? When I do get to this part, I was thinking of getting a chest harness that the back of the chest would be attached to, then the front would magnetize onto the back. Are you thinking of doing something like that?

Well as it sits right now I don't think I'll need to attach the chest piece to anything since it fits really snug with the vest on. But if I was there are these Velcro sections on the top of the shoulders on the vest, and if I were to insert some Velcro inside the chestpeice where my shoulders rests I could attach them that way. But I feel like that would be a pain to take the chestpiece off so I think I'll keep them as it is now, unless of course I go along with your magnet idea which I think would work pretty good.

Alright my friends, exciting times are upon us! With some aid from our very own vivalablake89 I went out and got the paints I wanted for the armour. I've spent the last couple days cooped in the basement tirelessly painting away.
IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2707.JPG
The base colours are done and I've started the orange detailing on the forearms and helmet, both still in progress.
IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2703.JPG
In other news, I placed two magnets inside the thigh and Magnum, with a layer of craft foam covering the thigh magnet to make the removal of the magnum easier.
IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2710.JPG
Both magnets have a few mm's of width to them, so they're both embedded into the foam in a hole I made with my dremel, that added with contact cement those suckers are stuck in there for good.

Small side note, I'm having trouble figuring out a plan for the visor, any fellow ODST's got any advice or way to go about making one?

More updates to come by the end of the week once I'm finished painting! See y'all around and take care.

Last edited:
Schankerz, Wow dude.....Looks Fantastic!!!! The details really catch the eye. The helmet attachment to me is the best part of the helmet. It could you a bit more depth in the cut details.....perhaps a hot knife or heat gun for a bit more separation? Also if I might make a suggestion, where you embedded the magnets, put a thin piece of felt. It will not only secure the magnet more......but it will protect the paint job of your suit.

Wowzerz that is cool! Really great when the suit really starts coming together! Great paint job going on there man and I really like what you did to get the pistol to attach.

what type of pain did you use? that helmet looks fantastic. love the custom paintjob.

Super Rad stuff, Schankz!

Thanks man! The custom painjohs like this on the helmet take a while to do and are a bit tiresome but man as you can see it really pays off. The paint was actually a suggestion from vivalablake89, it's Craft Smart acrylic paint, I got them at Michaels and they're pretty cheep and worked super well in my case.

Schankerz, Wow dude.....Looks Fantastic!!!! The details really catch the eye. The helmet attachment to me is the best part of the helmet. It could you a bit more depth in the cut details.....perhaps a hot knife or heat gun for a bit more separation? Also if I might make a suggestion, where you embedded the magnets, put a thin piece of felt. It will not only secure the magnet more......but it will protect the paint job of your suit.

Thanks a ton man! Now that you've pointed it out I I'll see what I can do about those cut details on the helmet attatchment. And I think I'll look more into your felt suggestion, didn't think about doing that before.

Wowzerz that is cool! Really great when the suit really starts coming together! Great paint job going on there man and I really like what you did to get the pistol to attach.

Thanks Thom! I can barely wait to finish painting and start doing some test fits with the final painted product! Then start getting those straps in place and the visor.

Small update for today, I got the DMR into the shop on the weekend and was able to start painting.
IMG_2733.JPG
Secondly, while I was at the shop I was able to make the barrel pieces out of wooden poles we had lying around in a box.
IMG_2734.JPG
And after two days of installing and painting this is what it looks like as of now!
IMG_2739.jpg IMG_2740.jpg IMG_2741.jpg IMG_2742.jpg
To give you a sense of scale I took a photo of myself holding it, I even did a proper spartan scowl for you Blackwell. ;)
IMG_2738.jpg
It still has a few smaller detail that need to be painted on there, I just don't have the right colours at this moment. The rest of the suit is nearly done painting and I'm going out today to get more nylon straps and buckles so I can start strapping everything together! If I'm lucky I might be able to get a full suit test fit later tonight or tomorrow.

FINALLY! that's a good scowl, but where's the muscle? lol, you just don't get a break from me messing with you, do ya'?.
I really don't have room to talk, because I'm just as thin as you are.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, That DMR looks fab!
I'm just gonna keep saying it, cuz it looks great; but that's a pretty snazzy paintjob...

*smoke bomb* thread de-railer Blackwell out!:ninja: *sneaky ninja noises*
*papeesheewoosh!*

How about some pew pew sound effects? Love your DMR man, that looks really good.
Im skinny to so for your beefing up, you can use some foam or pads or whatever really. Problem is you will be sacrificing temperature for looks, the more stuff, the hotter you will get.

Hmmm....I think I'm starting to get a feeling that I need to go to the gym more often....but no need to worry about that guys, I've done a few test fits and with the full suit on I look WAY bulkier than my weebish noodle-armed self. :D

I'm going to try and get a test fit of everything tonight to prove it to you all.

And I must thank you all for your comments on the DMR, I had pretty low expectations for it going in since I'd never done a foam gun of this scale before, but I've gotta say I've blown myself away with the end result and the support from you guys makes it all the better.

And yes, Blackwell you need some better sound affects before we can allow any more thread derailing from you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back