Scout Shoulder Plates Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyGunner

Well I guess it's time to pull the curtain off my first attempt at creating a mold-worthy armor piece. :cool:

DSCN0415-1.jpg
DSCN0417.jpg

DSCN0416.jpg
DSCN0419.jpg

DSCN0420.jpg

For the past 2 months, I've been working on my scout shoulder plate. I actually put together 2 of them, but the first had a bit of warping due to my expanding foam not curing properly. The current plate has been pepped, foamed, and smoothed with a new medium. I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to use bondo for the first time. Needless to say, it did not go very well at all. I could not find a good tool that would allow me to smooth it the right way, and I just ended up with a big mess. So that's why I went to the grocery store, and picked up........yes that's right! MIGHTY PUTTY!!
mighty-putty.jpg

The all in one epoxy putty for all your home repair needs! Fix a dent! Close a leak! Even groom your dog with MIGHTY PUTTY!!! :lol:

Ok, well that last one might have been a bit overboard, but I couldn't resist. :p After some experimentation, I've found that mighty putty has some really nice properties that worked very well for what I need to do. Mighty putty is sandable and paintable, and adhere's to most any surface (including paper). So basically what I did, was cut off pieces of mighty putty, knead it until it was white, and apply it in small amounts to the shoulder piece. After about two days of cutting, kneading, and sticking, the whole thing was coated. I then proceeded to sand this thing for hours by hand, until this thing was as smooth as a baby's butt. I've noticed that the plate has some minor bumps where the thickness is a little off, but I don't think that it will be noticeable. Yesterday, I added some very tiny details by hand. If you look at the scout reference package, available on the Halo costuming wiki, you can see that there are some raised plates, bars, and a circle on the bottom center inset on the shoulder plate. There are also 6 distinct holes in the very center of the scout plate, that appear to go the whole way through. I added these details with the following materials: 1 piece of acryllic sheeting, cut to size. 1 rubber o-ring, and lastly, 3 pen caps, with the "clip" cut off, and ends rounded. I super glued all of these pieces onto each other, and then super glued the acryllic piece onto the scout plate. I think it worked really well for the about $2 I payed for all the parts. :D

Yesterday, also, I went to Michael's Craft store to look for molding supplies. I'm planning on molding this Scout Plate as soon as I have the holes drilled in the middle, and the whole thing has been given several coats of paint. At Michael's I was able to find some interesting stuff. I got two 16 oz containers of Latex mold builder, and a 32 oz can of clear casting resin. I also bought some colored dye, so the castings won't be so boring :p

If anyone is interested in a set of these Scout shoulder plates, post here and tell me what you think. I'll most likely be doing a run of these in the not-too-distant future. ;)
Please let me know what you think of the way these things are coming along! I'd like to get some feedback as to how you think I can improve them.

I really love the idea of using mighty putty. How much did you use and how much did it cost? Sounds really usefull for small projects

How much did you use and how much did it cost?

I ended up using around 1 1/2 boxes of the stuff. The putty actually is pretty expensive at $10 a box. But the cool thing was that I ended up getting 5 boxes for $25. A grocery store in the area had it on clearance for $5 so I ended up getting the good end of the deal. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as epoxy putty goes, this stuff is way stronger than mighty putty. (and cheaper to so long as you're buying in significant quantities)

I... I... I think I love you!!!! :p Thank you so much for posting that! Now I don't have to buy in individual boxes! ;) And..Now I can use this on my full suit! Do you have any idea what the consistency of this stuff is like straight out of the two buckets?

HeavyGunner said:
I... I... I think I love you!!!! :p Thank you so much for posting that! Now I don't have to buy in individual boxes! ;) And..Now I can use this on my full suit! Do you have any idea what the consistency of this stuff is like straight out of the two buckets?

the magic sculp is pretty similar to stuff like mighty putty. It's meant to be an epoxy clay, so it has the consistency similar to polymer clays like sculpey.

the magic smooth however is meant to be a coating, so it has a consistency much more similar to that of bondo. it's a paste basically

i wouldn't recommend coating a whole suit in magic sculp though... it would get pretty damn heavy, and expensive. If you wanted the strength of an epoxy product, i would recommend using the magic smooth stuff for large areas. I've used it a lot before instead of bondo for smoothing out fiberglassed pieces.

Well guys, once again, a bit of ingenuity, and some everyday objects have really come through for me! :cool:

Just a few minutes ago, I drilled the 6 holes in my scout shoulder plate master.
DSCN0450.jpg

I used a 5/16" drill bit, simply because I think it's accurate for the hole diameter. I was a bit dissapointed, because the holes I drilled were a bit rough on the inside, with paper sticking out, and the mighty putty being a little crumbly. I knew this wouldn't cut it for the mold, so I had to find a way to make the inner part of the holes smooth. Here's where the everyday objects come in. :lol: Per my mom's suggestion, I wound up using a McDonald's drinking straw, cut into 3/4" lengths to put into the inside of the holes.
DSCN0449.jpg

It worked like a charm, and now I'm almost ready to paint this bugger!

Here's a shot of the straws in place from the underside of the master.
DSCN0451.jpg

I also had another great idea for the mold when I'm ready to do that. Instead of brushing the latex rubber onto to master, I'm going to put a piece of carboard under the master, running around the whole outside edge. These cardboard plates with extend about 1 inch for the underside of the master, and will serve as a catch for the mold latex. Basically this will serve to give a "Lip" to the mold, and enable me to slush cast the shoulders.
Let me know what you think! ;)

Hehe, Might Putty, never would've thought of that. ;) Kudos to you for using something out of the ordinary to make some extraordinary armor pieces!

HeavyGunner said:
I also had another great idea for the mold when I'm ready to do that. Instead of brushing the latex rubber onto to master, I'm going to put a piece of carboard under the master, running around the whole outside edge. These cardboard plates with extend about 1 inch for the underside of the master, and will serve as a catch for the mold latex. Basically this will serve to give a "Lip" to the mold, and enable me to slush cast the shoulders.
Let me know what you think! ;)

Sounds like a solid plan to me. The shoulder plate is gonna be sweet, if the rest of ur armor turns like that... (y)
Srry to say btw, but that guy on the mighty putty ad looks a bit douchy
Awesome build, keep it up

-DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back