Scratch Build-Ish Of New Odst Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphon

Hey guys, been pretty busy lately with starting a new job and trying to rebuild my car after i introduced it rather forcefully to a light pole :eek

anyway, i started on my next build to get ready for the ODST launch...2 ODST Pistols im scratch building them (kinda), im adding cardboard to an airsoft pistol frame

i even have pics to show what i have done :D

before

IMG_2798.jpg
IMG_2799.jpg

showing the blowback of the gun

IMG_2800.jpg

now with some cardboard added, from different angles

IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_2806.jpg
IMG_2809.jpg
IMG_2810.jpg
IMG_2808.jpg

the blowback still works to :lol

IMG_2807.jpg

ive gotten more added since these were taken, and the pistol is now at 13 inches long, i think it might be too long, but it looks freakin intimidating, even if it is just cardboard right now lol

i plan on using the cardboard as a rough frame, then adding the rest of the detail in the bondo stage, i also need to go buy some PVC pipe to use to extend the barrels out, ill do that tomorrow

lemme know what you guys think

I think you're on the way to a great start... just make sure to paint the tip orange. Also, you haven't found a way to make the trigger guard huge, and the magazine/clip/whatever you want to call it extends out of the bottom of the grip, so find a way to make that happen and this will be epic.

Good work so far.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
I think you're on the way to a great start... just make sure to paint the tip orange. Also, you haven't found a way to make the trigger guard huge, and the magazine/clip/whatever you want to call it extends out of the bottom of the grip, so find a way to make that happen and this will be epic.

Good work so far.

glad you like it =D

i've added the clip in, im working on fixing some of the minor parts that didnt come out right cause of the cardboard im using. the trigger guard will have to wait till tomorrow tho, im gonna cut off the bottom of it somehow, and extend it with cardboard, ill post pics after i get it laid out and modded,

im also trying to figure out how im going to do the flashlight on the bottow, im thinking a ultra white LED, but the switch and wiring are tricky to figure out, looks like radio shack is getting added to the places i have to go tomorrow lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would he have to paint the tip orange? I thought as he is in the USA, the only time you need an orange tip is to import or sell?

Great effort so far btw.

mightymints said:
Why would he have to paint the tip orange? I thought as he is in the USA, the only time you need an orange tip is to import or sell?

Great effort so far btw.

Missouri State law requires that it have an orange tip.

Brandishing (exhibit aggresively)a toy weapon in a public place is illegal in the U.S., regardless of whether or not it has an orange tip or if you are just "playing". Many places have laws like this to keep those "I didn't realize it was a toy" misunderstandings to a minimum. In some areas, as long as it is an obvious fake weapon such as a nerf gun(factory paint), you will probably not run into any legal issues. It is always best to check with the local law enforcement first.

You can buy a paintball gun at the Wal-mart where I live, but if you take it out of the package inside the city limits, you can be fined and the gun will be confiscated.

As most believe, "better to be safe then sorry", I have a short story.

A 10 year old boy and his friends were playing lazer tag behind the school in my home town, as he had done with his friends many times. The police on their nightly patrol saw the lights and went to investigate.

Well, the police officer stated the following morning, "The suspect pointed a gun at my fellow officer and my training took over."

SAFETY FIRST!

EDIT: I like the look of the pistol. I may have to try something like it with mine as well. Very nice work.

Dizzerak said:
Well, the police officer stated the following morning, "The suspect pointed a gun at my fellow officer and my training took over."

:(

This is cool, and a neat idea. You look like you had much more productivity and much less frustration than me when I tried to make TheF3ttMan's Lo- def pistol. I realised too late that the parts I had started were inside-out... Anyway, perhaps you could have pepped the silencer, magazine, rear sight, and trigger guard, and then just added them to the pistol. But I get that you wanted to do a scratch build, and this is going really well.

yccars, on 20 July 2009 - 08:00 AM, said:

This is cool, and a neat idea. You look like you had much more productivity and much less frustration than me when I tried to make TheF3ttMan's Lo- def pistol. I realised too late that the parts I had started were inside-out... Anyway, perhaps you could have pepped the silencer, magazine, rear sight, and trigger guard, and then just added them to the pistol. But I get that you wanted to do a scratch build, and this is going really well.

thats gotta suck, hope you have more luck if ya build it again. i wish i had thought of pepping the main parts lol, that woulda saved me a lot of time.

now its update time! whoo! i added the magazine to the bottom of the hand grip, added the trigger guard, extended the rear sight to make it look more accurate, and finished the silencer and added the barrel. this thing is now 15.5 inches long, 8.5 inches tall, and 1.5 inches thick, pretty massive gun lol

the only problem with painting the tip orange is that there isnt really any barrel sticking out to paint, i might make a orange sleeve or something to slide over the barrel for when im out on the prowl, or i might just leave them holstered, dont know

i also still have to add the flash light to the bottom of the silencer, im getting ready to head to radio shack to pick up a couple switches and 10mm ultra white LEDS to make the lights

now the best part, pics :cool

left and right sides of the pistol

IMG_2812.jpg
IMG_2811.jpg

The front of the silencer and barrel

IMG_2813.jpg

back of gun where sights will be added

IMG_2814.jpg

and showing the blowback again, i added some cardboard to make it look prettier :lol

IMG_2815.jpg

i also need to finish the hand grip, im trying to get it to look as much like the in game as possible, only bad thing is the grip is a little too square and awkward to grip, it will probably need to be rounded off in the end

New Updates! i managed to get both pistols covered in cardboard, im just waiting on some laser pointers i ordered from ebay(i love that place :) ) so i can add them in, along with the flashlight on the bottom

Both Pistols

IMG_2824.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg

scratch building the light and its housing

IMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg

slots cut to feed the electronics through, the front hole is where the 9v that powers everything will be

IMG_2835.jpg

also started on a couple ODST grenades, i have them ready to resin, then gotta add all the details in with bondo, fun fun

IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg

Also, i just realized i posted this in the wrong forum :eek thats what i get for posting while building, is it possible for a mod to move this to the weapons and props forums?

Thanks Nirvana, glad you like them

i was looking at Lee Keegan's build he did out of wood, trying to get a sense of comparison on size, i felt like mine were too big. i saw the dimensions he had posted for it and realized that mine was 5 inches longer than i thought it was supposed to be. so i took them both apart :eek after i had started rebuilding them i realized that the length Lee had posted was the pistol with out the suppressor on it :eek so ive had a pretty interesting past few days.

the good news out of all this is that i decided to add more detail into the base of the gun as i biult it this time, instead of waiting on the bondo stae to add all the details. so it all turned out good. i have to say that i am significantly happier with the new look. ive got one done (still waiting for the laser pointer so i can finish the bottom of it tho) and im planning on starting the other one sometime today, hopefully it will be done by the end of the weekend

the final dimensions i used for the pistol was a Length of 15.5 inches and a hight of about 9 inches, so its about the same size as it originally was, it just looks A LOT better...if i do say so myself :lol

anyway, enough rambling, time for the pics!

shot of the whole gun, added details might be hard to see here

IMG_2836.jpg

rear of the pistol, i redid the sights, i tried to get them as close to the game model as possible, i also added some iron sights that i tried to get in the second pic

IMG_2837.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg

and finally, an up close shot of the suppresor, the area most of the detail work went into

IMG_2838.jpg

i was going to add the detail on the grip and the sides of the back of the gun, but i realized that the layer of cardboard would make the grip too thick to be comfortable, and the make the rear of the pistol too wide and unproportional to the rest of the gun when viewed from the back

hope ya like it so far (again lol) ill try to have the other pistol done soon as i can and get pics posted, hopefully the laser pointers get here soon, im ready to resin and paint this thing :cool

Syphon said:
...supposed to be. so i them both apart :eek ...

You accidentally the pistols?!

(Sorry, it caught my eye)

It is looking great, the final guns are going to be sweet.

ponchato, on 24 July 2009 - 11:54 AM, said:

You accidentally the pistols?!

(Sorry, it caught my eye)

It is looking great, the final guns are going to be sweet.

lol, thanks for catching that, that's what happens when you eat and type

Update: I managed to get some work done on the pistols this weekend, the first one is pretty well done, i played around with adding more detail to it, but i decided that it will be better added in with bondo. i also got the suppressor added and detailed on the second one, and im adding the final touches to it, just waiting on the laser pointers to arrive so i can wire them in and start with the resin

Pics

top gun is pretty much finished, the bottom one still needs work done

IMG_2841.jpg

Shots of suppressor detailing

IMG_2842.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2845.jpg

hopefully i will get the laser pointers in this week and i can start adding the resin this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back