Scratch Built Nerf Firing BR55HB SR (Halo 3 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCsaber987

Jr Member
Edit: This build died, sorry for the lack of updates as a result. The wheels that caused it to 'fire' would never line up and the whole thing basically needed to be redesigned. One day I will, heaps of people have built customs like this before. Anyway just throwing this in for any one searching through old threads, I know how annoying it is to see them just cut off. (10/11/2012, ie a long time later) ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Hello 405th! I'm back again, did you miss me? Anyway I am very slowly working on an armour suit but recently a friend told me he was going to have a big Nerf (game, war, skirmish, whatever they are called), which reminded me of how I wanted to build my own gun to try (emphasis on try) and out do the store bought models (unmodified). My idea is to use the same technique as a tennis ball machine and fling the dart by putting it between two counter rotating wheels. Then I wanted to make it look nice, so I'm using Wizards beautiful blueprints again to make it into the roungh shape of a battle rifle. However I'm going for functionality first, then appearence. As a bonus the gun currently seems to be able to fire most brands of darts (I've tried the orange "slimline" Nerf darts as well as the standard yellow darts from Buzzbee(?)) Anyways pics or it didn't happen:

P1020472.jpg

The centre section of the rifle
P1020476.jpg

Barrel (which was some incredibly convinently sized pipe we had lying around) installed.
P1020477.jpg
P1020481.jpg

Motor housings. While the motors do look a bit wierd sticking out on the sides they can be removed if I want to display the rifle or use it as a prop.

P1020498.jpg

The two side pieces roughly cut
P1020500.jpg

All together with small amounts of detailing emerging.
P1020503.jpg
P1020504.jpg

The loading area. Dart is pushed in like an old bolt action rifle and the bolt (in this case a round piece of wood) slides up the barrel pushing the round between the motors.
P1020505.jpg

Currently the BR has a shorter barrel than it's in game counterpart but otherwise it is approx 1:1 scale (assuming my AR is!)
P1020506.jpg

Currently it's all very rough and I've got a lot of sanding to do to straighten up the lines but it should be fun. Im aiming to get 1.5-2 times the range of, say, the Nerf Recon. Im sure I could achieve more with the right battery but I want this to be safe (no one wants to play Nerf and come back with paintball injuries :)) More soon!

P.S. Quick question to anyone who knows firearms. In the in game model there is a lower barrel at the front that is about half the length of the main one. Is that purely cosmetic, some kind of stabliser? Just one of those little thing. Thanks!

P.S. Quick question to anyone who knows firearms. In the in game model there is a lower barrel at the front that is about half the length of the main one. Is that purely cosmetic, some kind of stabliser? Just one of those little thing. Thanks!

Might have something to do with the gas operation of the rifle. The G36 has something on top of the barrel, hidden under the hand guard, that looks vaguely similar and holds the gas piston.

Dude, this is looking sweet! I've never thought of creating my own nerf gun, and I think I'll try it someday once I have the right materials. Very nice :D

Looking good, cant wait to see what ranges and accuracy you get with the darts! Also, to add to what Ventrue said, the lower cylinder below the barrel is a gas tube usually holding a gas piston that actuates the bolt in a gas-blowback operated weapon. Similar to the AK47(but it is on the top of the barrel). Most weapons you see with that barrel arrangement use gas pistons to push the bolt back and rechamber the next round. Unlike the M-16, which uses a gas tube that runs the barrel length without a piston inside it, and piton on the bolt to operate, thus not needed the big gas tube like the AK.

Looking good, cant wait to see what ranges and accuracy you get with the darts! Also, to add to what Ventrue said, the lower cylinder below the barrel is a gas tube usually holding a gas piston that actuates the bolt in a gas-blowback operated weapon. Similar to the AK47(but it is on the top of the barrel). Most weapons you see with that barrel arrangement use gas pistons to push the bolt back and rechamber the next round. Unlike the M-16, which uses a gas tube that runs the barrel length without a piston inside it, and piton on the bolt to operate, thus not needed the big gas tube like the AK.
Whenever I read it was a gas powered gun I'd never actual imagined it used that kind of equipment, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for the gun I've been a bit busy over the weekend (read lazy) but I have started to give it it's final shape, smooth off surfaces etc. It's not very photogenic, and you'd probably need to hold it over time to see the difference, but here's some pics anyways.
P1020535.jpg

Shapping the back (done some sanding since then)
P1020534.jpg

Bit of power sander here, smooth(ish) layer of gap filler, leave over night, more sanding.
As for the electronics I'm currently working out what battery to use. I could pump 12V and a decent current through the motors but the resulting force probably won't be fun (as in break something not fun as apose to dangerous to people not fun.......not that breaking things isn't fun). That, or I could be completely dilusional and it will only fly 5 metres...... Enough rambling, thanks for looking!
Nicely done!
Show a video of it shooting. That would be epic.
biggrin.png
Thanks!Check back over Easter, I hope to be putting up some kind of video then (no promises though!)

Dude, this is looking sweet! I've never thought of creating my own nerf gun, and I think I'll try it someday once I have the right materials. Very nice
biggrin.png
You should definately give it a shot. I'm sure a game of Nerf would be way more fun if everyone had there own custom rifles!

I write WAY to much, me out!

Suggestion? If you need some inspiration, check out the Nerf Barricade. Same basic flywheel design.

What are you going to do for ammo clips? I doubt you're going single-shot.

Suggestion? If you need some inspiration, check out the Nerf Barricade. Same basic flywheel design.

What are you going to do for ammo clips? I doubt you're going single-shot.

Sorry to disappoint but it is a single shot design. I spent quite a while doing quick drawing trying to work out clips, at one point I was going to do a gravity fed one, then a spring. But when I decided to make it in the shape of the Battle Rifle I decided to just focus on appearence and range as apose to rate of fire. Maybe next time I'll do a clip feed if this one goes well. Thanks for pointing out the baracade though, I'll make it one of my targets to beat!
Range - 7/10 - It fires about twenty five to thirty five feet straight. - http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Barricade_RV-10
Untitled.jpg

Nice work, this is an interesting build.

Just so you understand, the gas used in guns, are those released when the gunpowder ignites. Its not as if they have a co2 canister in the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back