Security Armor Wip (Formerly Mark 6 Wip)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not recommend expanding foam for making a mold(unless you like bubbles on your nicely molded armor). I suggest smooth on products. But they are a little bit more expensive that expanding foam, in my eyes its worth the wait to save up the money.

Well, I can always spray out a block and carve that. (I have many back-up plans)

GMer56 said:
Well, I can always spray out a block and carve that. (I have many back-up plans)

Yeah, I tried that making a predator bio for my brother. The inside of this foam is festooned with cavities. I have seen some foam used on these boards (no idea what is is called, sorry) that had really, really small bubbles. It looked more like silicone than foam. Perhaps you could use something like that? The only other alternative I can think of, is if you put the blown foam piece inside a pressure cooker (to reduce bubbling) but I dont know how that would effect the curing process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got of my hind end and did some work

Bondoed half of the other thigh piece:

0414001648.jpg

0414001647.jpg

Finished Bondoing the gauntlet

0414001648c.jpg

0414001648b.jpg

0414001648a.jpg

I got bored and put on the other gauntlet just for fun ^^

0414001649.jpg

And my cat who wants to follow me everywhere, and watch me work. Here I was working on my Xbox 360 RROD and he wandered over.

0412001626b.jpg

Ok, so here's the poop on the armor:

I'll be filling the cavities of the armor with expanding foam (so I'll have a solid armor part), so it will be up for a little rough treatment (Hopefully I can use a school belt-sander), and after I'll carve out space for my body to fit.

I found a visor perfect for a certain armor permutation, one that I don't think has been done before in its full form:

tag_marathon2.jpg

Wooo! Security! I may add the little diddlybobs as removable pieces to my armor (definitly the shoulders!), so then I can work on my Mark 6 Helm at a later time. Plus this helm looks a little easier.

Visor:

0419001857.jpg

I'll soak it in a mixture of orange paint and water, making sure only the back half gets the paint, so it stays shiny on the front.

GMer56 said:
I'll soak it in a mixture of orange paint and water, making sure only the back half gets the paint, so it stays shiny on the front.

wait that works?? just that... no special window tinting, no made to order motorcycle visor.. just that??

Im not criticizing you its the opposite i hope this works i was having an issue making the visor for well... all my costumes, I really want to see how this turns out.

gakkengod said:
wait that works?? just that... no special window tinting, no made to order motorcycle visor.. just that??

If all goes to plan, yes.

umm... im pretty sure that that plan doesnt work. not trying to criticize... but that viser isnt worth the risk of ruining it just by doing the easiest thing. i would reccomend that if you do try your technique, test it out of a scrap piece of plastic first

sdhoigt said:
umm... im pretty sure that that plan doesnt work. not trying to criticize... but that viser isnt worth the risk of ruining it just by doing the easiest thing. i would reccomend that if you do try your technique, test it out of a scrap piece of plastic first

I understand your trepidation, and I will try your suggestion first. (OMG, I got an idea... Easter egg dye ^^)

Neoproks said:
Just wondering, where did you get that visor?

I got it at a yard sale last summer, in a free box. Lucky me.

Question, does the security helmet file need to be scaled?

Soaking it in colored water doesn't work (suprise!), need some sort of bonding agent -glue maybe?

Anyway, printed out the helmet, will test assemble it, then transfer to cereal box cardboard. Too many little flaps, so I'll be modifying it.

0425001304.jpg

Probably get it assembled by the end of the week, have lots to do - even though I'm on vacation :S

On the plus side I visited my future college: Daniel Webster @ Nashua. It is small and awesome!

Sorry 4 double post, but...

I went to a yard sale up the road from my house (which in itself is exciting, because the houses here are more than a few hundred feet apart), and apart from getting 15-year-old baseball cards and a gameboy advance for free, I got this:

0425001531.jpg

A foam bat! Yeah... but what could it become?

How about one of these?

BRUTE%20SPIKE%20GRENADE.jpg

Lets keep our fingers crossed, eh?

Did everyone cross their fingers?

Good! Here it is, just needs to be painted & stuff.

0425001732.jpg

0425001732a.jpg

0425001732b.jpg

0425001733.jpg

I even made a stand for it... talk about boredom :rolleyes

Sorry 4 double post, but...

I went to a yard sale up the road from my house (which in itself is exciting, because the houses here are more than a few hundred feet apart), and apart from getting 15-year-old baseball cards and a gameboy advance for free, I got this:

0425001531.jpg

A foam bat! Yeah... but what could it become?

How about one of these?

BRUTE%20SPIKE%20GRENADE.jpg

Lets keep our fingers crossed, eh?

Did everyone cross their fingers?

Good! Here it is, just needs to be painted & stuff.

0425001732.jpg

0425001732a.jpg

0425001732b.jpg

0425001733.jpg

I even made a stand for it... talk about boredom :rolleyes

Silversaw Jack said:
haha i have done worse while bored.

giggitty?

I pepped the visor, and the proportions are very similar to the transparent one. Cross your fingers again people!

What can I say?

0426001516.jpg

0426001516a.jpg

I will be using a brush and putting on a little bondo at a time (I used regular paper here, and just made it more stiff with rustoleum).

What can I say?

0426001516.jpg

0426001516a.jpg

I will be using a brush and putting on a little bondo at a time (I used regular paper here, and just made it more stiff with rustoleum).

Wahhh! It is snowing here!

I have about an inch or so of accumulation of that wet, sticky snow. A tree's branches are almost touching my driveway. No bondoing until it gets warm. Needless to say, all of the birds and small rodent-type creatures (squirrels) around my house are thoroughly confused and miserably wet.

It is strange for it to be 70 degrees one day, and 25 the next. But hey, that's Vermont for you!

Where's Al Gore? I want to show him some global warming! :)

Ah, test fitted the visor, unfortunately the helmet needed to be smushed about a half inch to accomadate it, but it still looks dynamite.

0428002131.jpg

0428002132.jpg

lol, antique marbles :p

Will spread bondo on the inside.

While I am working on this, I am listening to Tom Lehrer, and Manowar (what a contrast!)

Ah, test fitted the visor, unfortunately the helmet needed to be smushed about a half inch to accomadate it, but it still looks dynamite.

0428002131.jpg

0428002132.jpg

lol, antique marbles :p

Will spread bondo on the inside.

While I am working on this, I am listening to Tom Lehrer, and Manowar (what a contrast!)

nice find on the visor...i've been thinking about doing a security set myself. i'll be checking back to see how the tinting works out for you...good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back