Sergeant Johnson build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a teaser.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be taking a break for a little to catch up with school work.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

I looovveee the progress so far! Only recommendation I have is to start using sharper cutting tools or a hot knife to get those clean cuts, other then that, its looking FANTASTIC!

I looovveee the progress so far! Only recommendation I have is to start using sharper cutting tools or a hot knife to get those clean cuts, other then that, its looking FANTASTIC!
Thanks! I have a break away xacto knife so you may notice some pieces are neat and others not so much

I usually have the patience of a sloth. However, seeing that I had the whole upper body, besides from the pockets, I decided to paint it.
Hope you like it. :D

Last edited:
Thanks! I have a break away xacto knife so you may notice some pieces are neat and others not so much
Having a blade sharpener will extend the blades life span considerably. Depending on the amount of cutting that is needed, I can probably go through 4 to 6 sheets of foam before I finally have to change blades.

Having a blade sharpener will extend the blades life span considerably. Depending on the amount of cutting that is needed, I can probably go through 4 to 6 sheets of foam before I finally have to change blades.
I had no idea about blade sharpeners. I just break the tip off and it's sharp again

Even when you break off the tip, the blade can still be a bit dull. Like PaiganBoi said, a standard kitchen blade sharpener can extend the live of your blades. Even the exactos.....A sharp blade means better cuts on your foam pieces.

Even when you break off the tip, the blade can still be a bit dull. Like PaiganBoi said, a standard kitchen blade sharpener can extend the live of your blades. Even the exactos.....A sharp blade means better cuts on your foam pieces.
Could I find these enchanted sharpeners at walmart or a local store?

Here’s a little up-date. I’m quite on the fence about how the chest came out, so I’ve been looking up many prop or costume creations dealing with foam on YouTube. To help with my problems such as putting the hot glue on neatly without it being all over the top (see chance for reference). Out of the discovery, I have come across the solution to my hot glue issue: Contact Cement. The only issue may be that I may not be able to work quite as quickly. I also have invested in getting a more steady box cutter and the enchanted knife sharpener. Along with this I have come across an error. I’ve been making to many cuts on one line instead of have one single cut. Thank you all for all the help.
You will see better work from me pretty soon.

Oh ya!!!
One questions I have are:
Should I redo my chest using the better techniques or is the original worth continuing with the utility pockets covering most of the front mistakes?

Should I finish the build before redoing the chest?

Here’s some things I’ve picked up. Along with that is a thigh. Unfortunately I have a big booty and muscular legs, so I had to make a modification to fit it decently the thighs armor. I’ll later,once everything is done, glue some snap clips to the back and the though. That way the thread I’ll have will bring up the thigh to the height I want as well as give an accurate look. It was also before my transformation on technique, so it was put together with hot glue. Going to sand it and seal it later.
Before I start anymore builds I’m going to go pick up contact cement.

76581455-7C77-4277-A9C7-C4629B8DC7FE.jpeg

86FBFDA2-DFB3-461F-8876-784062F8EC7C.jpeg

649D4A52-78CD-432B-A579-D42FFE16FDC8.jpeg

6D872329-FE27-4697-87D5-998238935758.jpeg

A40D8FA6-F1A2-4CE6-90C6-50DD6ABFB7EE.jpeg

Word of advice with contact cement. How do I word this.... what ever container your cement is in make sure its closed really well after use.
From experience I've had two cans of cement turn into jello on me. This happened because of the constant open and closing of the lid and when storing, I would tap the lid on with a mallet/hammer. This caused the can to deform and leave tiny gaps with the lid.
Best choice would be to transfer your cement into a glue pot with a screw top ( like the one Evil Ted uses).

you could also buy one of the smaller glass containers of contact cement and once its finished, you can just refill it. The best part of that is it comes w/ a brush built in to the cap.

Should I redo my chest using the better techniques or is the original worth continuing with the utility pockets covering most of the front mistakes?

Should I finish the build before redoing the chest?
I would suggest finishing your build and then see if you really need to rebuild your chest. The rough cuts can be smoothed out with some sanding, gaps can be filled a for areas where there is a mess of hot glue.... paint to look like damage or do some weathering on it.
Unless there is a huge difference with the newer parts you are making, it should be fixable.

I agree w/ PaiganBoi. If you check out my chest piece now compared to how it looked when I first started........whole different ballgame, and I never started over. That's the beauty and advantage of foam over fiberglass. It is much easier to splice and add or remove sections where needed. That is just an opinion......take it easy all you pep-ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back