Shanky's MJOLNIR MK VI Build - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanky

Right, here goes.

I've recently started building a MJOLNIR MK VI costume, after plenty of lurking around here - I've learned tons from such resources, so I figure hopefully I can do the same for others if I document the build!

My goal for this build is to be finished for October 30th. I aim to keep this first post as a sort of index for future reference.
I ended up grabbing a Silhouette Cameo after a friend who does scrapbooking type stuff agreed to split the price.

Here is the current progress (Will be updated)

h7usqFs.png

I have the wiring all purchased (and tested, which is good, or else the helmet would have had 3 white lights and one green...)
Working on a plan for armor cooling... I'm thinking the two vents at the top of the chest could be intakes, and the vent type dealio's at the back could be exhaust.
A baffle would be separating these two so air would flow past my back, then get drawn up and out by the exhausts. Here is a quick mock up of that idea:

uTTbqFl.png

And now some progress pics!

When it was just pepakura and resin:
tFnCQKq.jpg

First bondo coat!
qrbv5Yd.jpg
iDUitvZ.jpg

Grabbed a cheap motocross helmet, ripped the padding out, and tested to see if it fits - it does!
y0oB5GE.jpg

As you've probably noticed, the helmet is quite rough. I learned very quickly that errors in pepakura can compound quite quickly.
I may end up redoing this helmet, as that may be quicker than fixing everything that needs it - One cheek is about 1/4" lower than the other cheek! Thoughts?

Attachments

• h7usqFs.png
    h7usqFs.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,530
  • uTTbqFl.png
    uTTbqFl.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 220
  • tFnCQKq.jpg
    tFnCQKq.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 219
  • qrbv5Yd.jpg
    qrbv5Yd.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 215
  • iDUitvZ.jpg
    iDUitvZ.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 251
  • y0oB5GE.jpg
    y0oB5GE.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 207
You look like you have a pretty good idea of what direction you are going.

As for an armor cooling system you could take a look at either using or making something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/141066141852?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
it uses flowing water to cool the wearer It is a little pricey to buy but there might be a way to build you own, I am currently looking into a way but no luck yet.

keep up the good work

Thanks!

I was looking at cooling a bit a while back, and the largest constraint I've seen for the circulating water type stuff is power supply. A small 12v aquarium pump still draws 0.5 - 07 amps. The smaller still peristaltic dosing pumps use much less power, but only have a flow rate of ~40mL / minute. Perhaps an easily filled/drained vest that you just use cold tap water for, and refresh every so often at the location you are at? Another solution might be those mascot cooling vests that essentially use a whole bunch of mini ice packs. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and lets put our heads together.

Got the Silhouette working accurately (and repeatably!) and decided to celebrate by whipping up the hand plates!

Cutting, right on the lines!

JyRvmRf.jpg
Ld4SDWb.jpg

Test for fit, looks good to me - thoughts?

Tu2QeZ2.jpg
atCQPCq.jpg

Attachments

• Ld4SDWb.jpg
    Ld4SDWb.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Tu2QeZ2.jpg
    Tu2QeZ2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 196
  • atCQPCq.jpg
    atCQPCq.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 183
  • JyRvmRf.jpg
    JyRvmRf.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 227
Aside from eBay (new or used), a good place to get them is when your local craft store (Craft Warehouse, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc) is having a sale. We got ours new bundled with a free embosser for only $199, plus a teacher discount (they're about $300 new). The stores usually have sales on holiday weekends, and sometimes the sale includes discounts on Silhouette stuff (sometimes not). The cheapest one on eBay at the moment (just did a quick search) is $113.50.

It looks just a tiny bit big, but if you took your measurement while wearing gloves then it might look right. Try putting on the gloves you plan on wearing, THEN set your handplate on top of that and se how it all looks together. :)

@ halogoddess Yeah, I did the measurement with gloves on. made about a 1/2" difference on the length from just above middle finger first knuckle to just above my wrist. I tested it, and I still have full range of motion. Before I go any farther on the handplates, I will be testing them with the forearms to ensure they don't interfere too much. (I used your tuturials for scaling btw, many thanks!)

As far as the silhouette, I got mine at Michaels, and split the cost with someone. I've found that using the silhouette studio to read a .dxf of the pepakura file is way more accurate than the silhouette/pepakura viewer thing from Tamasoft. I regret spending that $15 to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back