Props Ships and Halos and 3D Prints, Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are some beautiful ships wish my cading was that good. cant wait to see what else you make!

Thanks man! i got LOTS more left to make! so keep checking it out!

Those ships look so cool I have made a few ships my self but out of foam

this is certainly way easier. that was my original plan on how to do it years ago before i even KNEW what 3D printers were.

also, i will be casting them soon, so if you REALLY like em, i'll be making copies to sell real soon!

Thanks man! i got LOTS more left to make! so keep checking it

this is certainly way easier. that was my original plan on how to do it years ago before i even KNEW what 3D printers were.

also, i will be casting them soon, so if you REALLY like em, i'll be making copies to sell real soon!

That sounds pretty cool

UPDATE:

this update brought to you by a laptop COVERED in bondo dust!

so the nose job went GREAT! it took a couple layers to get it nice and smooth with the bondo:
mk8ennH.jpg
15D4JrE.jpg
kQAVmrm.jpg
ZKN3fZ3.jpg
mhCFYS0.jpg
rxEPk5b.jpg
LusG7rn.jpg

With that FINALLY done, it was time to epoxy it to the rest of the ship! Couldn't really rubber band this one like the other pieces, so duct tape had to do:
g39LSGF.jpg
oWjjRUG.jpg
PK4ahIJ.jpg
dUzs5ac.jpg
d95Oql4.jpg

And the last piece is being printed as we speak. we're almost done with the big kahuna!

This is going to be off the hook cool
you going to do led lights in it or something?

I totally adore your idea and crafting :3

Aw shucks, the both of you are gonna make me blush! to answer your question Spartan55, it's a solid maybe. everything i'm doing right now is sort of a practice run. so in the future i'll have higher-rez 3D models, probably a better slicer that can handle the detail better, better 3D modeling skills so i can actually make ROOM in the model for wires and lights, and all that. but, for now, it's time for the money shot!

UPDATE TIME:

So, it's time for the last section! it had some issues printing properly, but after wrestling it into submission a bit, i got it printing correctly!
pfEYAsm.jpg
j3RbacT.jpg
bCI2PEy.jpg
Look at that purty lil thang!

Now we just gotta stick it on...
GVzSUOg.jpg
OH HEY LOOK AT THAT IT WASN'T SIZED CORRECTLY!

GREAT!!!

Second attempt went.. well...
zI9qryb.jpg

But hey, third time's a charm! i also threw a tiny cruiser in there that's more to scale with the Carrier:
i2MktXi.jpg

NOW its time to break out the epoxy and rubber bands!
AlEF9sM.jpg
3xh6XGP.jpg
iFgCnW1.jpg

Left it all banded up to dry overnight, and once it was nice and solid, it was time for some bondo action!
MmOCmJa.jpg
rjquhmS.jpg
c4RxF7b.jpg
And once that was dry, it was time to sand down:
3D5p2WW.jpg
y7gji2d.jpg

and... that's it! building done! ROLL THE GLAMOR SHOTS!!
dEU27Xr.jpg
EECwgsn.jpg
CcEHwsL.jpg
5qjrYcH.jpg

Lookin good! Update part 2 below.

Alright! with the building done, now it was time to paint! i certainly have LOTS more ships to print, but unfortunately i've run out of filament, at least for now. so, instead of letting this thread die, i thought i'd move on to practice airbrush painting!

and, i just so happened to have a WHOLE BUNCH of failed prints that i could practice on!
KgyAVpM.jpg

I also have the little tiny cruiser. apparently my printer REALLY doesn't like small ships. this one kinda came out terribly, but it still has the general shape, so why not give it a paintjob:
q6AkOWO.jpg
uBjvA7I.jpg

Anyway, onto priming the pieces!
51fxV13.jpg
5N5tG44.jpg

aaand as it turns out my old airbrush is gunked up and clogged, so now we need to wait for the acetone bath to do its thing...
HOfHwGx.jpg

that's about it for the tail end of this update. i'll be bumbling my way through learning how to airbrush, so stay tuned for LOTS of hilarious entertainment to come.

Have you ever tried hobbyking for filament because they sell it cheap

I'll definitely check it out, but after some shopping around on amazon there seems there seems to be a set price on filament at around 30 bucks for a 1kg reel.

anyway, it's been FAR too long since i did an update!

So, when we last left off, i had an old, kinda garbage airbrush sitting in an acetone bath, a BUNCH of failed prints to practice on, and no more filament.

Turns out, there really was no saving that airbrush, so i had to order one that WASN'T complete trash. also, more filament (obviously)

AND GUESS WHAT SHOWED UP YESTERDAY:
VKytgwG.jpg
dMvpw4t.jpg
AjDM7ZP.jpg

We're back in business! this is (obviously) gonna be another double update, so i'll save the new ships for the second post. for now, you get to watch babby's first airbrushing session. Strap in!

So, while looking up reference pictures for the covenant ships, i stumbled upon a tutorial video on how to airbrush covenant ships from Halo Fleet battles:

so i kinda had my guess-work done for me! i did a bastardized version of this guy's method, involving a more metallic, opaque purple over the silver instead of a purple wash:
raTYOqs.jpg

And it was, SURPRISINGLY, not a total disaster! one might even say it looked kinda nice!
However, it looked a little too bright to me, so, since there weren't really any details and cracks to put the dark wash into, i decided to put it to use and mix a little directly into the metallic purple to achieve a darker shade, and got to work on the cruiser:
fAeFKFJ.jpg
LWengxS.jpg
OOfHExj.jpg

There it is! my first completed, painted, (mostly) detailed 3D printed ship! now, obviously this is all practice, since the casting process is most likely going to ruin the paintjob of the ships, but hey! It means i can mess up without ruining anything permanent. next up, however: the Big Kahuna.
First a layer of primer:
1EUzjSi.jpg
Utfn1NO.jpg

Now, the practice pieces were amateur hour. i don't wanna brag or anything, but i quickly got my workbench kitted out with a state of the art airbrush studio set up!
As you can see, the place where the magic happens: the painting area with super hi-tech fumigation hood to catch any over-spray:
6cVptLd.jpg

And within arms reach is the airbrush itself, in its super ergonomic, ultra hi-tech holster:
meJJZYe.jpg

I know, i know, it's awesome. Just try not to be TOO jealous, guys!

Anyway, once the primer was done, it was time to paint the Carrier!
Same as the cruiser, first up was a layer of metallic silver:
TASlwFZ.jpg
iMQlPxz.jpg
wLqi2Ms.jpg

However, about halfway through, the airbrush started giving out on me. it wasn't spraying, despite all attempts to thin the paints. I thought it was ANOTHER clog for the longest time! that is, until i decided to take a look at the compressor...
IftfJ2s.jpg
It's the same compressor i got YEARS ago in the $20 combo pack with the airbrush. turns out, it has close to a 60% 1-star rating on amazon, with tons of people saying it works for a few days then just gived up, or doesn't have enough pressure to push paint through an airbrush.

Great.

So, my airbrushing career began and ended over the course of a single afternoon. I found a much better compressor on amazon for about 60 bucks, so hopefully that'll put an end to my painting woes.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE PART 2:

Time for some more ships! with the covenant ships getting the paint treatment, it seemed high time to give the UNSC a little love. now, as you'll recall, i TRIED to print a tiny frigate, but for whatever reason my 3D printer really doesn't like tiny, high-detail stuff. so it seems like i'll have to throw a proper scale canon out the window and make the ships as small as my printer can handle, and as large as my filament budget can handle.
I started off easy with the Pillar of Autumn (Halcyon-class cruiser) and Forward unto Dawn (Frigate-class). The Autumn got sliced up into 4 sections, and the Dawn got sliced into 3 small sections:
Screenshot 13.png
Screenshot 14.png
Screenshot 15.png
Screenshot 16.png
Screenshot 17.png
And the Dawn:
Screenshot 18.png
Screenshot 19.png
Screenshot 20.png

Started off with the Autumn, in black (which, as it turns out, doesn't show very much detail against a black glass build plate when being photographed... oops)
0ocMjD9.jpg
EF4w80b.jpg
G7ReHUJ.jpg

The printer handled the angular details quite well! however, as expected, all the little turret barrels and antennae were too tiny to handle. they can easily be replaced with some plastic tubing though:
kcoq1X0.jpg
NN1XE8h.jpg
ImJ7Y75.jpg

Section 1 is finished, and section 2 is printing as we speak! updates should return to daily/close to daily
ovvByZe.jpg

Maybe not in the near future, but how much would you charge for the UNSC Infinity? Convenant cruise ships are looking very pleasing to thee eyes!

Maybe not in the near future, but how much would you charge for the UNSC Infinity? Convenant cruise ships are looking very pleasing to thee eyes!

You must be psychic or something, because i had JUST finished slicing up the Infinity because i had nothing better to do, and barely five minutes later i got an alert with your reply!

Anyway, here it is all sliced up:
Screenshot 21.png

As you can see, it's gonna be a BIG sucker. however, like i said, i don't know the prices yet because i need to calculate how much resin it takes to make each one, along with paint costs and other little bits and pieces. however, i can safely say that a very rough estimate would be under $200. and that's pretty high just for safety. Infinity was always kinda "meh" to me personally, which is why it hasn't gotten as much love in this thread, but if there's interest for it, i can certainly add it to the fleet.

Me psychic? Nah. I don't know, I really like the look of the Infinity compared to previous unsc cruise ships.

MEGA UPDATE:

Alright, yours truly has been chugging away on the Pillar of Autumn and am eager to show it off!

So i left off with section 1 completed and section 2 still printing:
DbIQiAi.jpg
z6uJB0D.jpg
vW6Ynd1.jpg

That's section 2 done, time for epoxy, rubber bands, and glamor shots!
K7SDBGO.jpg
U9Ql28U.jpg
KRQOcIF.jpg
Xt682Zw.jpg
F5CR2Vh.jpg
gw79mtU.jpg

Next up was Section 3, the biggest section (clocking in at 40 hours of printing time), which i unfortunately didn't get many pictures of during printing.
0G4smyH.jpg
I2rvKmH.jpg
YuMHtK2.jpg
v8GG6W8.jpg

Epoxy and rubber band time! (this one was actually big enough to snap a few rubber bands)
oFSfvXY.jpg
MhUKZx4.jpg

Finally, it was time for section 4, the big fat engine block:
0EAwHLU.jpg
An6bkPN.jpg
eug8XZ1.jpg
7RXHyGC.jpg
1oaBnT8.jpg

And with that, we have ourselves a COMPLETE Halcyon-class Cruiser!
xRSWiHT.jpg
Aj3BmIG.jpg
xGct1Hi.jpg
qZdR9xu.jpg

Well, just hit the image limit, so look below for more glamor shots!

MEGA UPDATE PART 2

So, once everything was dry, i decided to bust out the fishing line and make my own little battle diorama, now that i had human AND covenant ships:
ILAXCCG.jpg
AjYRv0l.jpg
39oLD2b.jpg

However, there was still some work to be done. the seam between section 3 and 4 was big and ugly. and to make things even MORE complicated, there were panels with large air gaps on both sides, which meant just pasting bondo over them wouldn't work. so, i used some blue painter's tape as a backing, which gave the bondo something to properly smear onto:
CS0hdMi.jpg
Gap filling time!
DLFyEZG.jpg
CaoS49h.jpg
qpxDSFl.jpg

And that's that! next step of my master plan is to start practicing with casting the 3 ships i have (which is gonna be a nightmare with the amount of detail they have). so if anyone with a TON of casting and molding experience wants to weigh in, i'm all ears!

HOO BOY! it's been a while! so there's good news and bad news going on. Bad news is the start of the semester kinda kicked my ass a bit, which is why i haven't updated in ~2 months.

HOWEVER! the good news is, i didn't stop working on the ships during the absence. and EVEN BETTER NEWS: i enrolled in a casting/mold making class for this semester. so i'm getting college credit for this now! woo!

Anyway, onto the juicy details. first thing's first, FINALLY got that sweet new compressor:
20161001_121431.jpg

And here it is next to the piece of junk its replacing
20161001_123105.jpg

So that means more snazzy covey paintjobs!
20161001_133357.jpg
20161001_133421.jpg

anyway, that was fun and all, but now for the REAL progress! after some consulting about the models with my professor, it was decided that the covenant cruiser would be the easiest one to cast and the best one to start with. So, i bought the recommended Smooth-On Mold Star 15 mold making silicon rubber
20161004_143053.jpg
and started with the first half of the mold:
20161004_143101.jpg
20161004_162918.jpg
20161004_163331.jpg
20161004_170109.jpg
20161004_170118.jpg
20161004_170509.jpg

24 hours later, it's dry! now time to flip it over, remove all the clay walls, build up another clay wall around the other side, then pour the other side of the mold!
20161011_111626.jpg
20161011_113749.jpg
20161011_125049.jpg
20161011_130630.jpg
20161011_131051.jpg
20161011_131127.jpg
The little clay pillars are holes for me to pour the resin into the mold. there are 3 because the head, middle, and rear of the ship all have humps that are around the same height, so three holes were made to avoid trapping air bubbles in any of the humps

And time to bag it up (to preserve the clay from drying out) and leave it for another night!
20161011_135633.jpg

TIME FOR THE MONEY SHOT! next day, same thing. time to pull all the clay off, and peel the mold apart:
20161012_111236.jpg
20161012_111507.jpg
20161012_111829.jpg

It looks
SO
DAMN
GOOD!

Next up, ANOTHER SHIP PRINT!

Attachments

• 20161011_131051.jpg
    20161011_131051.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 20161011_131127.jpg
    20161011_131127.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 20161011_131221.jpg
    20161011_131221.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 215
UPDATE PART 2

alright, so after my very first mold, i decided to print the UNSC frigate. the poor Pillar of Autumn was lonely and outnumbered by the two covenant ships, so i made him a buddy!
20161006_101847.jpg
20161006_112147.jpg
20161006_222303.jpg
20161007_200624.jpg
20161007_202147.jpg
20161008_091409.jpg
20161008_170543.jpg
20161009_095035.jpg
20161009_095616.jpg
20161009_095625.jpg

Now, i learned from my previous mistake of fully assembling the ship, which, given how complicated these models are when it comes to making 2-part molds, makes things much harder. so i'm gonna be leaving it in 3 pieces, probably more since i'll need to chop certain bits off and cast them seperately. for now though, i need to take a belt sander to the messier flat surfaces still covered in support material:
20161011_132337.jpg
smooooth
20161011_132612.jpg

With that done, it was time to prepare the carrier for its casting!

...unfortunately this means cutting it in half because there was no way to cast it properly as one piece.
20161004_113300.jpg
20161004_113306.jpg
20161004_114552.jpg
20161004_135638.jpg

next up will be the casting of this big guy, which will probably happen next tuesday. however, in the mean time, i think the UNSC Infinity is up next for 3D printing. Stay tuned!

Alright! it's been a BUSY couple of weeks casting and making more ships! so gird your loins for a massive update!

To start off, the poor lil frigate had to be chopped up for casting. pretty simple stuff, just had to cut off the nubs at the front and the big engine blocks:
View attachment 33069
View attachment 33070
View attachment 33071

after that, had to plug the holes so the smooth-on doesn't flow INTO the model and ruin, well, everything:
View attachment 33072

Speaking of chopping up ships... the Pillar of autumn was next. there are SO many little cracks and crevices that make it impossible to cast easily, so it had to get chopped up into a few pieces to make it possible:
View attachment 33073
View attachment 33074
View attachment 33075
View attachment 33076

And, like before, gotta plug up those big holes:
View attachment 33077

finally, the main body of the frigate could be put together, with the help of a little bondo, of course:
IMG_20161019_131336090.jpg
IMG_20161019_131446757.jpg
IMG_20161019_131611189.jpg
IMG_20161019_132259621.jpg
IMG_20161019_132447435.jpg
IMG_20161019_140711912.jpg
IMG_20161020_103339971.jpg
IMG_20161020_103952777.jpg

That's about as much as i can cram into this part. Next update: TONS of casting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back