Props Size/Dimensions of OSDT Flashbang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callianis

Hello humans and allied species,

Just tinkering with some Halo ODST flashbang grenades and I am wondering if anyone knows the actual dimensions of the flashbang grenade? The 2 PDO's in the armory say 71mm x 140mm or 91mm x 180mm and the 3D printable by Sean Bradley are 59.60mm x 111mm, which I am assuming could be because he was using 55mm PVC pipe for the center cylinder. Sean's size seems more appropriate/less bulky for a flashbang.

Am I overthinking this? ;)

Here is my version of his grenade sized for a 52mm PVC pipe (hardware store doesn't have 55mm). I printed the cylinder for this prototype.

Well the in-game model shows an ODST without his helmet at 63.773 units tall, and the flashbangs are 4.056 units tall. So if we scale them to a standard male height (usually 6' even for most game designers) we get a height of 4.579 inches for the flashbang, or roughly 11.63cm. Hope that helps!

That's super cool and like your process :) That works out to be about 6mm longer than the version I printed above. Wonder if I can get away with that ;) Thanks for your help.

Well the in-game model shows an ODST without his helmet at 63.773 units tall, and the flashbangs are 4.056 units tall. So if we scale them to a standard male height (usually 6' even for most game designers) we get a height of 4.579 inches for the flashbang, or roughly 11.63cm. Hope that helps!

That's super cool and like your process :) That works out to be about 6mm longer than the version I printed above. Wonder if I can get away with that ;) Thanks for your help.
No problem, I'm always willing to bust out the in-game models to answer the hard questions. Lol

And honestly, I wouldn't fuss over the 6mm difference. A quarter inch is hardly noticeable.

This way I can stick to the 52mm PVC from the hardware store :) Haven't made a belt clip yet. These will come in handy for storing stuff as I won't be gluing the lid on.

On an unrelated topic since you mentioned in-game models, would you also have some good clear references of the ODST feet (eg top, back, front, side)? Currently making some of the armour plates to stick on some boots and the game model reference photos show a different shape to the pep file I have.

And honestly, I wouldn't fuss over the 6mm difference. A quarter inch is hardly noticeable.

hmmmmm. good info. I was going to base them off my hand size.

This way I can stick to the 52mm PVC from the hardware store :) Haven't made a belt clip yet. These will come in handy for storing stuff as I won't be gluing the lid on.

On an unrelated topic since you mentioned in-game models, would you also have some good clear references of the ODST feet (eg top, back, front, side)? Currently making some of the armour plates to stick on some boots and the game model reference photos show a different shape to the pep file I have.

Sure. I took orthographic renders from every angle, including some isometric ones. Packed them in a zip file for ya.

They're all 640x480, but I kinda figured the models themselves aren't very high resolution so you're not really gonna get more detail out of a larger picture. Just would have taken a lot longer to render.

Attachments

• foot refs.zip
    554.3 KB · Views: 395
Oh you're a champion. Thanks so much. This will help my boot pieces be more accurate. I can see now there's some strapping as well and a strange shaped buckle or something.

Ever since Bill Doran said "orthographic" it's been my favourite kind of reference photo ;)

Songs will be made in your honour.

Sure. I took orthographic renders from every angle, including some isometric ones. Packed them in a zip file for ya.

Oh you're a champion. Thanks so much. This will help my boot pieces be more accurate. I can see now there's some strapping as well and a strange shaped buckle or something.

Ever since Bill Doran said "orthographic" it's been my favourite kind of reference photo ;)

Songs will be made in your honour.

You're too kind. Just let me know if there's anything else you need. Renders, models, whatever. I've learned a lot by taking a real close look at the in-game models.

1. The lower back panels (looks like flexible or articulated underarmor)
2. The magnetic attachment points on the thigh plates where you'd holster your sidearm or put a pouch

You're too kind. Just let me know if there's anything else you need. Renders, models, whatever. I've learned a lot by taking a real close look at the in-game models.

1. The lower back panels (looks like flexible or articulated underarmor)
2. The magnetic attachment points on the thigh plates where you'd holster your sidearm or put a pouch
Here's a shot of each. If you're trying for accuracy on the undersuit, I also have some weird info that not a lot of people see - there's actually a texture underneath the stomach armor. Not only that, but the base layer of the undersuit appears to be black thermal material, with kind of like t-shirt material in the armpits. I've never seen anyone get the textures quite right on those.

Attachments

• back.png
    back.png
    297.3 KB · Views: 531
  • stomach.png
    stomach.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 380
  • thigh.png
    thigh.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 486
  • arm.png
    arm.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 509
Wow cool thanks for that. Really helpful. That's amazing, the level of detail under the armour that no one playing the game is going to see. I did see a cosplayer who'd created the undersuit chest/ab area and wondered how he came up with the design. Now I know.

My sewing skills are restricted to straight lines (mainly sewing up webbing and velcro) so I may just have to do what most other people do - just get black pants and shirt. I do know of someone who got some black multicam which looks cool, but not sure that is considered canon so perhaps I'll stick to black or dark grey and let the rest of the armour speak for itself. Perhaps something like this might provide some texture - standard ripstop along arms and shoulders with the under arm and body being something more like cotton.

Here's a shot of each. If you're trying for accuracy on the undersuit, I also have some weird info that not a lot of people see - there's actually a texture underneath the stomach armor. Not only that, but the base layer of the undersuit appears to be black thermal material, with kind of like t-shirt material in the armpits. I've never seen anyone get the textures quite right on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back