Slacker's Church Build (updates to pg3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sadly this has been a slow week progress wise, Chest is almost pepped, just need to connect a few more things together.
th_HPIM1016.jpg

I was also able to get my right thigh pepped
th_HPIM1018.jpgth_HPIM1017.jpg
I had to expand the girth a little since I'm a little "bigger" then the average spartan, thankfully I plan to cut out the inner part and scratch build it out of eva foam for comfort.

Thankfully my plastic just arrived from smooth-on. their first attempt at getting it here was damaged in transit, poor UPS must of had a fun time cleaning up that mess.

PS - the thigh pics might have a clue to the prop I'm working on to go with the armor.

Thankfully my plastic just arrived from smooth-on. their first attempt at getting it here was damaged in transit, poor UPS must of had a fun time cleaning up that mess.

PS - the thigh pics might have a clue to the prop I'm working on to go with the armor.

Excellent progress.

Glad I'm not the UPS guy or the clean up crew. LOL!

I can see 2 slits on the inner thigh piece. The only "prop" that I can think of would be LED's (you knew I was gona say that!) :D

Edit: Otherwise there is that strange round piece in the box... That must be it ... Yea... Looks like something for Iron Man. Yes... No? :p

the slits in the thigh are my special large knee expander addins, I'm only using the black inner thigh part as a support for now. That whole section is scheduled for demolition to make room for a hyperspace bypass, I mean a comfy, hopefully non-chafing, foam inner thigh.

The strange round thing in the box is correct, it's the focusing lens to everyones favorite floating orb/discarded body.

the slits in the thigh are my special large knee expander addins, I'm only using the black inner thigh part as a support for now. That whole section is scheduled for demolition to make room for a hyperspace bypass, I mean a comfy, hopefully non-chafing, foam inner thigh.

The strange round thing in the box is correct, it's the focusing lens to everyones favorite floating orb/discarded body.

Demolition! OMG... It's the Vogons (spelling?) OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO000000000000000000oooooooooooooooo......! Where is my thinking cap!

:)

Hurray, it's update time. I haven't gotten nearly as many things accomplished as I hoped to due to work, 9 days straight followed closely by 11 days straight does not make for a lot of free time. Anyways I've finished pepping everything besides my left thigh, which should be done tonight, I've started reinforcing all the other pieces, and a few are just waiting for me to start bondo'ing. Anyways, picture time.

To keep the forearm from warping a couple well placed popsicle sticks keep everything in place.
th_HPIM1023.jpg
Old and busted vs. New hotness
th_HPIM1027.jpgth_HPIM1028.jpgth_HPIM1029.jpg
Pieces that are fully reinforced and waiting for bondo.
th_HPIM1030.jpg
The rest in various stages of reinforcement.
th_HPIM1031.jpg

The goal for this week is to finish getting things reinforced and to separate the 2 halves of the chest. Wish me luck.

Another progress update

Still going strong, my table for pieces waiting to get finished is starting to get crowded.
th_HPIM1041.jpg

Took a short break from reinforcing to update my cod piece and refinish my hand plates.
th_HPIM1033.jpg
smoothing and filling in some spots on the butt
th_HPIM1032.jpg
sanded off a couple bumps and added some detail to the front.

th_HPIM1038.jpgth_HPIM1039.jpg
Finished front

With this round of painting I used petroleum jelly/vaseline to allow for the base coat of aluminum to show through at some high wear spots. I've seen it done before, but after seeing it in Starvinartist80's build I was won over to the look and decided to try it out for myself. I also decided to go for a flat clear coat instead of the satin one I've used in the past to give it a more grungy look. I did my hand plates in both to show the difference.
th_HPIM1035.jpg
Left is the flat and right is the satin.

Anyways that's it for now, till next time:
Slacker out.

Wow, looking good so far 'Slacker! Are you planning on making a sniper rifle as well?

I really need to get ahold of some vaseline, as I have to use toothpaste... which doesn't work QUITE as well.

Wow, looking good so far 'Slacker! Are you planning on making a sniper rifle as well?

I really need to get ahold of some vaseline, as I have to use toothpaste... which doesn't work QUITE as well.

Of course, I actually have it barely started, but I put that on hold till I finish with the armor. I have to imagine the toothpaste would be hard to cleanup and the vaseline had a small unintended side effect of keeping my metal base coat moist so part of it rubbed off to the grey primer underneath to give it a really weathered look.

nice build man, My Gf loves church and when i showed her this she was said "after your odst build your going to make me this armor" lmao. My favorite RvB character is Tucker hands down bowchickabowow!

Nice progress! Awesome paint work, I like the solid light blue color. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, the shade of blue has been the thing that's plagued my perfectionist mindset the most during this whole thing, I always find a color that I think is a closer to perfect then the last right after I start painting.

nice build man, My Gf loves church and when i showed her this she was said "after your odst build your going to make me this armor" lmao. My favorite RvB character is Tucker hands down bowchickabowow!

Well your GF definitely has good taste in characters ;) Even though he's not my favorite I do have to say I'm hoping for a little more of Tucker in this season then past couple, the blue team just isn't the same without him.

Looks really nice man. I so have to get me one those sd's, that would greatly help in my pep commissions. Nice job Slacker!

Looks really nice man. I so have to get me one those sd's, that would greatly help in my pep commissions. Nice job Slacker!

Thanks, and yeah, that machine is seriously great.

Well, now that I've ignored my thread for far too long again. Here's some updates while I wait for paint to dry.

I finished the belt, hurray
th_HPIM1053.jpg
My old helmet got some new details and a snazzy paint job.
th_HPIM1051.jpgth_HPIM1052.jpg
One forearm and one shoulder are ready for black and mud, the other of each are drying.
th_HPIM1049.jpgth_HPIM1050.jpg
Boots are close to being assembled, I'll try to get more pictures of how I do that for a later update.
th_HPIM1048.jpg
and lastly, I will not be unarmed for halofest, my BR that I bought from Thor is fully assembled and is also getting it's paint done.
th_HPIM1054.jpg

Now the rush continues to finish the upgrades before Pax and Halofest in 11 days.

Thanks for taking a look,
~Slacker

Everyone else seems to be making tutorials nowadays, so I figured I'd try one as well.

Now I present "How to attach together the heel of a 3 piece boot"

First I started with replacement straps from an inline skate.
th_HPIM1055.jpg

Then you attach the clip part to the back of the heel and cut off enough of the corrugated part to get a good grip.
th_HPIM1057.jpg

You then put the front piece of the heel in place and hot glue the straps to it.
th_HPIM1056.jpgth_HPIM1058.jpg

Next take your trusty drill and drill a couple holes for bolts.
th_HPIM1059.jpgth_HPIM1060.jpg

Remove the strap so you can paint the front piece. (protip: always mark the pieces somehow so you can put them back in the correct spot.)
th_HPIM1061.jpg

Finally reassemble the pieces and bask in the work you have just finished.
th_HPIM1062.jpgth_HPIM1063.jpg

I hope someone finds this helpful in their build, I'll try to make a how-to when I permanently build my shoes into the armor pieces.

Slacker out.

Should send a pic of the finished suit to Burnie.

I'm really hoping to get a picture with Burnie at PAX this year. Last year I only got to meet Gus and Geoff, and I met Kathleen at RvBcanwest, so hoping to check a few more off the list this year.

Crunch time update, 7 days to go

Finished my BR today, one more thing crossed off the list :)
th_HPIM1065.jpg

and got the majority of my upper body and my boots one step closer to finished with addition of some black wash, should get the brown "dirt" coat on tomorrow along with hopefully the clear coat.
th_HPIM1066.jpg

Until next time,
~Slacker

this looks amazing! cant wait to see the finished suit.

You and me both :)

5 days to go and things are getting closer.

Today's major accomplishment was assembling the boots, so here's a step-by-step look at how I did it.

step 1) Assemble all your parts and go outside.
th_HPIM1067.jpg

step 2) Liberally slather shoe-goo on your boot and your sacrificial shoe.
th_HPIM1068.jpgth_HPIM1069.jpg

Step 3) Sandwich the foam riser between your shoe and the boot (optional), you can also just glue your shoe to boot, and check for fit.
th_HPIM1070.jpgth_HPIM1072.jpg

Step 4) Let it dry for a while.

Step 5) Drill holes through the boot and shoe to securely anchor the 2 pieces together. I used stainless steel cable ties for that little bit extra.
th_HPIM1074.jpgth_HPIM1073.jpg

Step 6) glue some vinyl utility matting to the bottom as a sole. I did this to cut down on the noise while walking around and to protect those cable ties from damage.
th_HPIM1075.jpg

Step 7) Let the whole thing dry and then walk around like a Boss.

Well back to work refinishing my old legs from my original set of armor, just don't have the time left to finish the new higher detail set.

~Slacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back