Snakebite7's Pep Helmet (updated through process)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakebite7

Hey guys, I understand this now and I cut out and glued my helm together.

Assembling Phase **Finished**

- Hot Glue (Low Temp)
- Scissors :p
- Red and Black Pens
- Plastic Ruler

Pics:

img0179zb4.jpg

img0180hw1.jpg

img0181ct6.jpg

img0182fp1.jpg

I also wanted to know if I could just get some colored see through film (like at craft stores) for the visor...

Last edited by a moderator:
nice job, I actually had my helm all done as well, but unfortunatly, it was too large...but meh, it was practice mostly.

I tried the red and black pen trick, and honestly, I don't really see the point, it's only a bit more helpful and takes a LOT more time and effort, especually to bigger and more complex pieces, at least to me anyways.

One thing though, you may want to reinforce the helm somehow for structural integraty, since it has no visor yet, I suggest you cut out some thick cardboard and roll it up, tape it or something, then duct tape it inside to hold the helmet in place (you will need to get it so it fits inside where the visor is) this is only temporary and helps keep it from collapsing, at least that's what I am told.

PillowFire said:
nice job, I actually had my helm all done as well, but unfortunatly, it was too large...but meh, it was practice mostly.

I tried the red and black pen trick, and honestly, I don't really see the point, it's only a bit more helpful and takes a LOT more time and effort, especually to bigger and more complex pieces, at least to me anyways.

One thing though, you may want to reinforce the helm somehow for structural integraty, since it has no visor yet, I suggest you cut out some thick cardboard and roll it up, tape it or something, then duct tape it inside to hold the helmet in place (you will need to get it so it fits inside where the visor is) this is only temporary and helps keep it from collapsing, at least that's what I am told.

Ok, so duct tape the inside for the resining? The resin makes it collapse? Hmm thanks for tellin me!

hi
to answer your question on how i got mine really clean cut is as follows:
-i went at a slow and steady pace, NO RUSHING!
-i scored (lightly cut) all my folds with an exacto knife
-i used aleens tacky glue (less troublesome than hot glue)
-i included the visor. (this adds strength/shape)
hope this helps!

doodim1337 said:
hi
to answer your question on how i got mine really clean cut is as follows:
-i went at a slow and steady pace, NO RUSHING!
-i scored (lightly cut) all my folds with an exacto knife
-i used aleens tacky glue (less troublesome than hot glue)
-i included the visor. (this adds strength/shape)
hope this helps!

Thanks dude, that exacto knife thing is a good idea! I used scissors.....uggh that took forever.
If this doesnt turn out good I might redo it. Thanks for replying! I admit I rushed a little but hey I'm only 14!
I can imagine how easy an exacto knife would be for this project.

wait!
i used scissors as well to cut out all my pieces.
i used cardstock on all my pieces and instead of just folding the pieces, i took an exacto knife and lightly went over the fold lines so it is SLIGHTLY cut on the FOLD lines. therefore, when i fold the cardstock, its easier to fold and not as hard, and as a result, you get more clean looking folds and stuff
oh, and im 16 and to get to where i am right now on my helm, it took about a week and a half.

From a card modeler's perspective (www.cardmodels.net), let me give you guys some tips for working on paper models that I've picked up over the past couple of years.

There are a few simple and inexpensive tools that will make your build a lot better and much easier. In your arsenal, you should have the following:<ul>[*]Metal Straight Edge (metal ruler)[*]Exacto Knife with #11 blades[*]Very good set of tweezers[*]Sewing Seam Ripper (probably the most important item)[/list]
As I mentioned in the list, the seam ripper is probably the most important item to have when doing paper models. When scoring paper or cardstock using an Exacto, invariably you will make a score too deep, causing the stock to break at the score line. With a seam ripper, you have a perfect score line every time regardless of pressure. Once you use one instead of an Exacto, you will never use anything else. A seam ripper in conjunction with a metal straight edge will make your end product look 100x better, trust me. Here's an example of some of the stuff I usually do. Everything you see was done entirely with 80lb cardstock. The trailer alone was 26 pages.

100_5041.jpg

100_5044.jpg

100_5045.jpg

100_5049.jpg

100_4908.jpg

100_4907.jpg

100_4906.jpg

Right now, I'm working on my first full-sized MC helmet. I hope to have it built by the end of the weekend. I will have to say that I am amazed at the quality of work that I've seen on some of the armor on here.

Anyway, that's what I have for my first post here. :rolleyes Seriously though, go out and get a seam ripper and you will thank me later!

Nice little gallery, I think I should show off my papercraft works too, I dont just do armor, I do pokemon, zelda, cars, planes, and random misc papercraft creations.

Ya, when you leave the visor out, your helmt sags down when resining and it just ruins the entire thing....if you dont want to add the visor, hotglue/glue cardboard in it's place then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back